Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Thor Sequence owners

My wife and I bought a new Thor Sequence 20L last month. It would be nice to have a place to share information, ask questions, problem solve, etc.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Yes, its really an amazing place for sharing information, thought and feelings.

i am very much happy after connect here.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Timbo!

Nice layout. Did you shop the similar Winnebago 59K? Just wondering what your main points were for selecting the Sequence.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #4

Yes, we looked at the Travato too. We didn't know about the Sequence until we saw Neil Balthaser's YouTube review (at ). They're basically the same coach, but the Sequence comes with a few things that are options on the Travato. Some of these aren't necessary but nice to have (the Thule roof top carrier, bike rack, and ladder; the Winegard 4G system, the tank heaters). The multiplex panel control system is really nice, and it is nice to have the tank heaters too. But even more important is the price! $10,000 less!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #5

There was another factor that was important for us. People are pretty critical about the Thor build quality. There was one significant problem, but otherwise we're pretty happy so far. Everything is pretty solid and functions correctly. The cupboards needed little sticky pads so the don't rattle when you're driving. We also replaced the foam in the seat/bed cushions because it was very hard (probably 1.8 lb. very stiff but weak foam). A local company (Foam Rubber Products in Milwaukee) cut and inserted 2.8 lb. foam for us at a reasonable price, and it's much softer and will probably last much longer. (We recommend them.)

But the big problem was the generator. It kept on starting on its own, over and over again. It took multiple tries to find the cause of the problem. It turned out that the control wires were rubbing on the axle and the insulation wore through. Whenever the wires touched the frame (for example, due to vibration when you're driving), the generator started up. The dealer replaced the wires and attached them to the frame the way they were supposed to be originally. and we're hoping we never have that problem again.

Overall, we're happy so far. We're going to take our first trip pretty soon, and then we'll have a much better idea about how it works for us.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:34 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks for the background and mini-review. Any new rv has a few issues like you found. If that's it, you're ahead of the game.

Give us an update after a few trips. Safe travels.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Question for you...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Yes, we looked at the Travato too. We didn't know about the Sequence until we saw Neil Balthaser's YouTube review (at ). They're basically the same coach, but the Sequence comes with a few things that are options on the Travato. Some of these aren't necessary but nice to have (the Thule roof top carrier, bike rack, and ladder; the Winegard 4G system, the tank heaters). The multiplex panel control system is really nice, and it is nice to have the tank heaters too. But even more important is the price! $10,000 less!
We know someone who rented a Travato KL... for a few days to try it out.... from a private party, I think... not sure..

He liked some of the features, not the shower.... not many people even use their shower....

BUT......he told me that the acceleration was really weak in this and it took a very long time to get to 60-65....

Can you please tell me your experience... that doesn't sound very good.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
not many people even use their shower....
I doubt very much that this statement is correct.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

And this one? "he told me that the acceleration was really weak in this and it took a very long time to get to 60-65...."

If 280 hp won't do, I wonder about 188?
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I've spoken to several Promaster owners in campsites and specifically asked each of them if power was a problem with the Pentastar v-6. The all said no. Oh, a few mentioned difficulty maintaining speeds on long, steep grades. But that is typically of most any motor home and none said it was a problem. They all liked their Promasters. It surprised me that a v-6 could do such a good job on such a heavy vehicle.

Still, I love my 6.0L v-8 with 323hp/375pf of torque. But I would like the Promasters tight turning radius.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
And this one? "he told me that the acceleration was really weak in this and it took a very long time to get to 60-65...."

If 280 hp won't do, I wonder about 188?

Ever notice how many of the posts seem to start with "we know someone who told us"?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I sure don't know where that most don't use their shower in their Travato K came from, but that source is very misinformed, (as is a pretty good percentage of what's said in these online forums) but most all the K owners we know as well as the G owners use theirs, maybe not every time but more often than not. We know several, as in more than 10...

We've got 22k miles on ours, have been all over the USA, flat, hills, mountains and have never wanted for power. The motor has to scream sometimes, as in 45-5k rpm for a while, but it's designed to do that with room to spare, plenty of cooling power for both the engine and transmission. It's not a diesel as some folks think it should act like.

Curious what the OP paid for their Sequence compared to the Travato he looked at

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #13

The van has plenty of power for me. I was actually surprised that you can take off from traffic lights fairly quickly if you want to. We pulled a small trailer to move some furniture, in town and on the freeway, and hardly noticed the extra weight. It doesn't accelerate quickly at high speeds, but I wasn't expecting it to. The turning radius is great and the ride is surprisingly smooth for a truck.

Dealers are advertising the 20L for $79,995 or so (MSRP is $91,875), and we paid in the low 70s.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
The van has plenty of power for me. I was actually surprised that you can take off from traffic lights fairly quickly if you want to. We pulled a small trailer to move some furniture, in town and on the freeway, and hardly noticed the extra weight. It doesn't accelerate quickly at high speeds, but I wasn't expecting it to. The turning radius is great and the ride is surprisingly smooth for a truck.

Dealers are advertising the 20L for $79,995 or so (MSRP is $91,875), and we paid in the low 70s.
You can buy a loaded 2020 Travato K now for around $78k. Loaded as in racks, paint, acrylic windows etc, and have your choice of 5 colors. White, silver, wine red, granite (dark grey) and blue.
We paid right at $72k for our '19. Doesn't have racks or acrylic windows...

Old 01-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
You can buy a loaded 2020 Travato K now for around $78k. Loaded as in racks, paint, acrylic windows etc, and have your choice of 5 colors.
Wow, that's almost 40% of MSRP, right? Is that a common price for the Travato? Around here dealers seem to advertise them in the $90's and then have 'show specials' in the $80s. But I haven't tried pushing them price.

Curious where you've found the best pricing.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I'm not talking about the lithium models now, referring to the standard K setup.
We bought at Lichtsinn in Iowa who has excellent pricing but not absolutely the lowest if that's what you are looking for. Ohio has 2 dealers at least that have excellent prices, as well as some of the LaMesa locations. There's more but you do have to work to find them but they are out there.
Ours is an early '19 model and I know they have had 2 or 3 price increases since then. One of them was a BIG one that covered several new features and equipment additions. 29 to 32% off is normal out there with higher at the right locations.
This forum is not the best location to find Travato info. The 2 Facebook groups are, one of which has 10k+ members, the other about 4k but it's relatively new

Old 01-07-2020, 02:40 AM   #17

Quote:
My wife and I bought a new Thor Sequence 20L last month. It would be nice to have a place to share information, ask questions, problem solve, etc.

Just one of the reasons we bought a Travato, not to mention we had a Thor we traded in. I wish you luck!
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Default I guess it depends on whom you are talking to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A sales rep from RT told me a few years ago that 80 percent of their clients want a wet bath, but, when they surveyed how many people actually use them it was only 20 percent....

Make of this what you will, but, the people I know feel the same way and their preference is to just shower at a campground / RV park....
Old 01-07-2020, 04:38 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Default Why would someone expect it to act like a diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I sure don't know where that most don't use their shower in their Travato K came from, but that source is very misinformed, (as is a pretty good percentage of what's said in these online forums) but most all the K owners we know as well as the G owners use theirs, maybe not every time but more often than not. We know several, as in more than 10...

We've got 22k miles on ours, have been all over the USA, flat, hills, mountains and have never wanted for power. The motor has to scream sometimes, as in 45-5k rpm for a while, but it's designed to do that with room to spare, plenty of cooling power for both the engine and transmission. It's not a diesel as some folks think it should act like.

Curious what the OP paid for their Sequence compared to the Travato he looked at
Who on Earth would think that?
Old 01-07-2020, 05:56 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
A sales rep from RT told me a few years ago that 80 percent of their clients want a wet bath, but, when they surveyed how many people actually use them it was only 20 percent....

Make of this what you will, but, the people I know feel the same way and their preference is to just shower at a campground / RV park....
We don't use ours all the time, but we do use it when circumstances necessitate it or we just don't feel like fooling with the CG shower house which is usually when it cold outside.