Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Travato 59k or travato 59g

Will be my first RV ... Just my little dog and I ... I cannot decide which I want .. love to hear from owners .. why did you pick your model and would you pick the same one if you had it to do over?? Thanks ...
Flgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

As a single woman who travels with a little dog... either would be fine. Each has its pros and cons, and it depends on how you will be using it... and your wants and needs.

In my last buying decision, it was between 2 attractive (to me) models and the deciding factor ending up being the galley and fridge size. My 170 had a little 3 cu ft fridge on the floor and I learned to hate it. LOL I chose the one with the 5 cf raised fridge.

I made up a spread sheet of what each model has... you should do the same... and then decide which factors are most important to you.

If possible go and hang out for awhile in each model.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
As a single woman who travels with a little dog... either would be fine.
The high twin beds on the 59k affords the dog a great view as you zoom along.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Flgal,

I don't own either, but a comment. Unless you have an application for the G like a bike or whatever, maybe the K makes more sense. The downside for me would be the gray tank size, but there are solutions for that.

Have fun shopping, dreaming.......

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Actually the reason I like the g ... Is separate areas .. with the bench set up in front with the table that can add another sleeping area and table to eat on that expands ... You could always carry a bike on outside rack.. . for me it would have e to be electric trycycle never learned to ride a 2 wheeler .. lol
Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Def go with the G. You don’t want to feel like your sitting in your bedroom all the time do you?
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I agree ... have to see them in person ... maybe should go to Tampa Rv show in Jan.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Def go with the G. You don’t want to feel like your sitting in your bedroom all the time do you?

You might be surprised how many of us do exactly that, very intentionally, as it can make the B more practical and easy to use. It didn't take us long to figure out the power sofa in our Roadtrek 190 was not going to be our long term choice and built a full time, very comfortable, C shaped, bed. Lounging arm pillows for reading, computer, or TV. We figured we would use the rotated front seats and fold up table for sitting and TV, but find we never do, as the bed is more comfortable and pleasant.

Of course, at least for us, the van is only really used for "living" in the evening and early morning, as the rest of the time we will be outside or going somewhere.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Bronze Member

We love the openness of our K with the view from the windows and the nice rear bathroom. We can relax on the couch/beds and raise the headrest for reading or watching TV.. The G is very tight trying to get out of the driver and passenger seats to get to the main area.and feels very claustrophobic to us. We eat at the pull up table and pull out table but could always use the large table between the couches If they didn't make the K model we would not own a Travato. You really need to see them in person and spend time in each model. We all have different needs and wants. I would definitely visit the Super Show in Tampa. Many of us T owners will be meeting up there for a couple days.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If it’s just you and your little dog I would opt for the G, even though I went through the decision just a few months back and choose a K. The K was designed for couples/two people and is optimized for that. The G bed is a little climb up to get into but very comfortable for one - very tight for two, especially if larger people. G has more separated living sleeping areas which becomes especially nice if full timing or living in the van for long periods to break things up physically and psychologically.

The K is much more open and airy. With all the windows the outside really comes inside. It’s less claustrophobic but arguably less cozy. The K bath has more usable space and folks either love or hate the rear location (we love it). The K includes a convection/microwave so baking is possible. The G’s fridge is bigger although the K fridge is bigger than it looks because it is deep.

I am NOT a Facebook fan but join the TOWB group there. It is invaluable for info on Travatos. There is a guide there on the K vs. G which is excellent. Also, nothing like spending time hanging out in each and imagine being in them. For us that was the decider - the openers of the K trumped everything else.

Enjoy the journey.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

What tek13 said, especially about the now 2 Facebook groups. Travato Owners & Wannabees, and Travato Base camp. Tons of info there along with now up to 5 years of this model's experiences of owners....
Our choice of the "K" was because of the open feeling and the big rear bath, (also no shower drain pump). We have never, ever felt like we are sitting or lounging in our bedroom in the van, mostly I think because we have set it up to function as couch like seating during the day with a small table in the middle.
Anyway, good luck on your choice

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

We bought the K because there are 2 of us and our small dog, but I think if it were just one adult and a dog the G is more practical because of the front lounge. If you just think through a typical daily routine, you can determine if having the separate lounge and sleeping area of the G are for you. I think the G has better storage capabilities, but the K has a more open and airy feel. Putting up the large table in the K by yourself may not work well either since it's so bulky, try it. The K has a convection microwave versus the standard microwave of the G. Make a visit to a dealer and look at both, lay on the beds, look at the storage, etc. and think through your daily routine and it will probably become clear which is right for you.
Rico52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

13dec18
Flgal - Buy the G and the K and then pick which one you will use for a particular trip and weather? Of course that is not practical. For my wife and I we went with the K because we are both tall and the twin beds worked better for us. Of course we like to cuddle but on trips, we just use the twins which are close enough. The mild ratcheting lift on the pillow end is very nice too for reading or watching TV. The G does have the very nice seat and table up front. So if you are no taller than 6.0 ft, I would personally have looked harder at purchasing the G. Except for one more thing... The interior of the K is more open and because of window placements, brighter. Check that out for yourself on a sun bright day and also on an overcast day. Do this without the salesperson with you. A quiet moment for yourself with doors closed so you can contemplate, visualize and absorb your surroundings.

Re the refrigerator; the G's is simply larger. But... the K's is as someone else mentioned, your initial impression when you open the door is that it is not very big. But stoop down and look all the way back. Better. But even then I can just tell you from real life trips, it's big enough for the two of us. Depends on how you resupply your provisions and what your trying to bring along. It takes a number of trips in your first RV to figure out what is practical. Like where to put shampoo and soap while your showering. How it really works to take military style showers instead of running water all the time your in there. Easy in the Travato by the way. At least in our TRUMA Combi equipped furnace/hot water combination unit it delivers nice hot water that dovetails nicely with the large space and excellent shower controls. Anyway.. you learn how to work with the amount of water and waste holding on board pretty quick and it all works great.

Your choice might also depend a bit on how much time you spend inside. Some folks want an always ready table and seat and think (or do) spend a lot of time inside. Most of the time my wife and I will turn the driver and passenger seats around and use the small pull out and lift out tables. For dinner, we often set up the posts and table top between the beds. Works well for the two of us. But the ready to use table with seating for three in the G of course IS nicer. You just have to decide on the other pros and cons of the G and K. For us - we travel to see and play outside as much as we can. Our main cooking is in the evening where we eat and relax before bed and talk to each other. We may also read, play a game or watch TV sometimes before conking out. Unless really bad weather outside during the day, we are either outside or tripping around locally in our Travato "car" and home on wheels. Breaking camp to doodle around and come back later to setup is a snap in most any Class B RV.

The air conditioner in the G is right above the bed in a G. If you use the AC much, then the physical closeness of the unit and the higher bed in the G actually makes the noise a bit more predominant. But the main thing is that it is blowing cold air on you because the walls there will push it back onto you. Yes the AC in the K is between the twin beds or right over the center bed section if you use that but the vertical distance away from you is better. And the air flow largely is sent down the aisle, not directed at you. While the air flow is not directed at you in the G, the walls around the G's bed cause the air current to push back where you are laying. Just a bit too intense for me and I like AC air.

Mumkin said make a spreadsheet. I did that too. She also said "If possible go and hang out for awhile in each model." As you can see above, I sort of said that too. Take your time and spend time in these.

Roof rack & ladder option - Your not really going to heft big items up the ladder to place on/in the rack on a roof that is already mostly used by vents, solar, AC, TV antenna, etc. There is some space but not much. However it is nice to use the ladder to help wash the van on top or simply to inspect if you think a tree limb might have damaged something.

If you haven't already, I recommend you visit the fitrv.com web site. Lots of good information there, and new info almost every Monday. James and Stefany run their Travato 59G all over the USA pretty much all year long. Works for them so a G might be your choice too.

Gene / StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

We got the g model. Big plus for us was the permanent table that can fold down to another bed and can sit 5 people at the table, the K is a pedestal table that you must set up. You can sleep 3 ok, but 4 you can't access the sliding door in the G. G can sit 4, K only 2 and sleeps 2. Two big negative in our Travato G is the macerator pump switch for the grey water is on the inside, which was changed on later models, also the shower screen for the pump drain is under the sink which needs to be cleaned.

I hope this helps
sksnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #15

Default G then K owner

We (2 plus small dog) bought one of the first G. 20k miles and I had a list of all the things I wanted to rip out includig the uncomfortable settee.. the next to useless head and the very cramped bed. But the rest was great so it was a real option..i designed what i wanted. Then i went online and up came the K with exactly my design. great versatile beds.. refrigerator running on the solar aray.. open feeling all with screens..a far better head with both indoor and outdoor shower. .microwave and convection...60" screen door. we bought the K added a spare tire rack and headed to Newfoundland. 16000 miles later there is nothing i would change except a quieter exhaust on the gen set. we have averaged 16.9 with snow tires. Both Ts are useless without either chains or snows....useless.
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #16
Silver Member

Gene (StorysRVwego) brought up some good points.
And those reasons are why I also traded out of my mid bath sprinter ERA into a Travato K.

Also I hated the idea of crawling off the end of the bed in the G - the beds in the K are like in your house ( just roll out like at home-lol).
Also being so close to the a/c and the confines of the G bedroom area. I much prefer the openness of the K.
Many folks prefer the G - it has the permanent dinette. Which has advantages but also takes up more room. The G is better for hauling tubs (under bed) if you carry more extra stuff.
The shower pump is a negitive for most and extra maintenance to keep strainers clean.

Like others have said:
Make a list for each model with pros/cons - then go spend time in each while updating or revising your lists.
You may find a con becoming a pro - ha.
Like for me I found the refrigerator size became a non issue - the K fridge is plenty for my needs.
It really is a personal choice.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Platinum Member

14dec18
Enduro,
Another thing I contemplated on our (my wife and I) decision to buy the K instead of the G has to do with the plumbing. I like what a Macerator does. But its an electrical-mechanical device in the path of waste. To me it is not a matter of IF it will fail, but WHEN.

Removal and replacement is one aspect that will be a dirty job. But what really makes me balk at these is the "WHEN" it fails, are you on the road and now your system is down until you RR (remove and replace) it, or have the work done at a dealer. The latter might require a hotel stay and possibly a car rental while a dealer schedules your work into their line of work. The replacement pump costs is one thing but hefty labor rate that most dealers charge is going to put a dent in the pocket book for that trip.

I suspect the layout of the K model allowed for the simpler gravity plumbing system just like we have in our homes. The passenger side placement of the bathroom in the G versus grey and black water tank placements may have necessitated the Macerator for proper flow. Just a guess. This would really bug me if I bought any brand of used RV that had a Macerator system because you would never know if it was abused. I would be tempted to have it replaced immediately on a used RV just so I knew it wasn't going to be a surprise right away.

Lots of G's sold and lots of very happy owners. Maybe a Macerator system used with care, these things last the practical life of the RV for most people. I only hear the tales told online about when they failed (no Travato G models I have read yet) and the fun it was to do the work.

Gene / StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #18

leaning towards the K for the same reasons. floor thru and light
stevekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #19
Bronze Member

FlGal,

I do not own either model, however I like what Rico52 said - "Visualize your daily routine" in each model.

And as several others advised - Go to a dealer or RV Show and look at both models (without the sales person in the RV). Get inside with the doors closed by yourself and move around. Take your time and see what seems to work best for you and your dog.

Each model has its pros and cons. Take your time and have fun deciding. And enjoy your RVing.

David
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #20

same reasons I'm leaning towards the K. do you have any photos of your set up?
stevekan is offline   Reply With Quote