Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #1

Default Travato Shower Pump

Why doesn’t Winnebago just use a marine grade pump that doesn’t require any pre-filter for the shower drain? Does anyone know the reason???
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It probably relates to $$.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
It probably relates to $$.
I think you’re probably right. I ordered one. It was $150.00 but what confuses me is that Winnebago owns Chris Craft. They make boats so they have access to these pumps in prices well below retail. Considering my Travato listed for $125,000 I’m not sure why I’m having to do this upgrade. That filter system is simply a joke.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The Winnebago Paseo has the same setup. I eliminated the strainer in the drain and added a much larger inline filter in front of the one at the pump. Still not ideal, but now we can go 30 or more showers between cleaning out the filter (don't really know for sure just how long we can go, but we're up to about 30 and no sign of water flow slowing down yet). Before we had to empty the little thimble sized strainer in the drain after every shower.

This is the strainer I added: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJ65P2/
Old 12-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

OK but why not just replace the pump and never have to worry about filters again there has to be a reason and I’m thinking maybe it has to do with creating pressure inside the gray water tank because in marine applications gray water is discharged directly overboard can anyone shed light on this
Old 12-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
OK but why not just replace the pump and never have to worry about filters again there has to be a reason and I’m thinking maybe it has to do with creating pressure inside the gray water tank because in marine applications gray water is discharged directly overboard can anyone shed light on this
Yeah, replacing the pump is a better solution, but also 5 times the cost. For now I'm happy enough with the filter solution. Having to clean that filter once per season is way better than after every shower. At this point my only real gripe about it is the difficulty in accessing the pump and filters. I don't know what it is like on the Travato, but on the Paseo, you have to remove two drawers and then be a contortionist to reach them.

I don't think pressurization of the tank would be an issue, since the tank is vented. I think it is just about profit... a $50 pump vs. a $150 pump = $100 additional profit on every Paseo or Travato sold. And the buyers won't notice the difference until after the sale.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

So I called Winnebago today. They use the pump because it’s the same as the water pump but it’s not meant for grey discharge thus the need for filters. The pump in place now is 3gpm. My new pump is 3.5 gpm and can run dry and needs no filters. It’s an easy plug n play install that I’ll do tomorrow. I didn’t buy a new coach at that price point in order to have to clean filters. The new pump is the whale gupper designed for this use. Whale Gulper 220 Graywater Pump - Manages Gray Waste in Boats & RV - 3.5 GPM Flow Rate - 12V. On Amazon $147.24.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
So I called Winnebago today. They use the pump because it’s the same as the water pump but it’s not meant for grey discharge thus the need for filters. The pump in place now is 3gpm. My new pump is 3.5 gpm and can run dry and needs no filters. It’s an easy plug n play install that I’ll do tomorrow. I didn’t buy a new coach at that price point in order to have to clean filters. The new pump is the whale gupper designed for this use. Whale Gulper 220 Graywater Pump - Manages Gray Waste in Boats & RV - 3.5 GPM Flow Rate - 12V. On Amazon $147.24.
That seems like a pretty easy swap out. I may go that route... Thanks!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

For anyone looking for it, here's a link to that pump: https://www.amazon.com/Whale-Marine-.../dp/B000FHQL5G
Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #10

Does the gulper pump fit. It’s hard to imagine installing in the contortionist area. I heard someone say they cut out the bottom of the closet fit easier access to the area?
I’m tired of cleaning out that online filter
KYMCOBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote