Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago build quality

I don't have a Travato, but I do have a different model Promaster-based Winnebago. The problem with the Promaster chassis is that it doesn't have the GVWR carrying-capacity of the Ford and Mercedes units. The net result of this is that using any type of solid wood construction is pretty much a non-starter. This also excludes MDF of course which is very heavy.

I don't know what the ideal solution would be, but Winnebago addresses the weight issue with a construction method that has 2x1" frames for most cabinets and furniture covered with 1/8" luann sheeting and covered with some sort of wood-looking finish (I don't think it is actual veneer, or at least doesn't seem to be on mine).

The finish could be nicer, and I understand that Advanced RV has a lightweight corrugated plywood option, but using solid wood cabinetry probably isn't the best choice.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #22
Gold Member

Default Congrats on your Class B

We have been out and about in our 2020 Travato K59 and are really enjoying the places that have re-opened up and summer activities. I have made some great mods and found a lot of ways to save space inside and out. I added a cargo rack on the back with some lightweight plastic boxes for long hauls.

Recently I added the Sumo Spring bump (foust) stops (yellow color) to the rear, for improved stability and turning. They really helped compared to the existing parts, and now come standard on the 2021 Travato models and Dodges. Camping World put them on using a suspension tech

We are looking forward to going to some of the Winnie B rallies, now that things are back and going. Enjoy and safe travels. If you want to know some of my mods please message me. Take care
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #23
Gold Member

Default Info on AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post
I am on my second Travato, I have the K model which feels really roomy. I have had 0 problems with this vehicle. Fit and finish was much nicer then my 2017 model. Resale was very good on the old one. I have never found a staple, so I'm not sure what he was talking about. I find the new low profile quiet A/C unit a big improvement, although I do have an issue with the AC when the temp is over 100 degrees. Coleman does have a fix for it however.
I absolutely love the Travato. and I have owned two Sprinters (pleasure way).
Did not like the MBZ dlr. network. To expensive and not easy to find when traveling. You can always find a Ford or Dodge dlr. nearby.
Safe travels,
Larry
Rancho Mirage, Ca.
Thank you for the info on the new AC. I hear the NDQ is the way to go and my 2020 early model did not have it. I may switch out in a few years. We also love this Travato, and no vehicle will be perfect but this comes close. I am getting 17 mpg so those Class C's can eat our dust. LOL
Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #24
Platinum Member

4 years later and our Travato 59K is still proving to my wife and I that this was a sound choice. I literally do not have anything to add to my August 2020 write up which if you look at, has pretty much nothing to have been fixed. Nice!

We have added or changed a few things. A rear door spare tire mount from LANDED GEAR in San Diego, Ca that eliminates my discomfort of not having a real spare tire. Granted todays tire manufacturing has made great strides in tires handling all sorts of road hazards, better than older tires. But I just hate the idea of having a tire issue I can't plug or otherwise take care of on the road. Murphy's Law will mean a new tire is required, we are out in the middle of nowhere but even if we were in or near a large town, a proper tire won't be in stock anywhere. This happens with almost any product today since the Pandemic and containers backed up in the ocean, etc. So I decided to add the mount and roughly 60 lbs of spare tire & wheel to the back end of our RAM Promaster/Travato 59K. No regrets! Haven't had to use yet but its there if we need it. Just close the rear door it is mounted on more gently. No problem but when you have added about 70 more pounds to the door, just a gentle closure seems smart.

As for smaller windows in the 2019 or newer, we are still happy we selected a 2018 over the 2019's we could have purchased. I think the new smaller windows and especially the side and rearblinds ARE nicer. And the choice of the plastic side windows that provide better cold/heat control is a win. But my wife and I pic our travels to not be in ultra cold or hot. Not that we can control that but we pavement travel, RV Park stop and do it as muc as we can in nice weather. Roughing it in hikes and sleeping bags on the ground - done that, been there and enjoyed it immensely... when we were younger. Now we travel to see stuff and visit family and friends across the country with moderation in weather if possible in these later years of our life. And having a blast.

Working up a new topic thread for REMIS front window kit I just installed in our RAM Promaster/Travato. I should have that posted pretty soon.

Gene / StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #25
Gold Member

Default Loved your post and agree the Travato is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
4 years later and our Travato 59K is still proving to my wife and I that this was a sound choice. I literally do not have anything to add to my August 2020 write up which if you look at, has pretty much nothing to have been fixed. Nice!

We have added or changed a few things. A rear door spare tire mount from LANDED GEAR in San Diego, Ca that eliminates my discomfort of not having a real spare tire. Granted todays tire manufacturing has made great strides in tires handling all sorts of road hazards, better than older tires. But I just hate the idea of having a tire issue I can't plug or otherwise take care of on the road. Murphy's Law will mean a new tire is required, we are out in the middle of nowhere but even if we were in or near a large town, a proper tire won't be in stock anywhere. This happens with almost any product today since the Pandemic and containers backed up in the ocean, etc. So I decided to add the mount and roughly 60 lbs of spare tire & wheel to the back end of our RAM Promaster/Travato 59K. No regrets! Haven't had to use yet but its there if we need it. Just close the rear door it is mounted on more gently. No problem but when you have added about 70 more pounds to the door, just a gentle closure seems smart.

As for smaller windows in the 2019 or newer, we are still happy we selected a 2018 over the 2019's we could have purchased. I think the new smaller windows and especially the side and rearblinds ARE nicer. And the choice of the plastic side windows that provide better cold/heat control is a win. But my wife and I pic our travels to not be in ultra cold or hot. Not that we can control that but we pavement travel, RV Park stop and do it as muc as we can in nice weather. Roughing it in hikes and sleeping bags on the ground - done that, been there and enjoyed it immensely... when we were younger. Now we travel to see stuff and visit family and friends across the country with moderation in weather if possible in these later years of our life. And having a blast.

Working up a new topic thread for REMIS front window kit I just installed in our RAM Promaster/Travato. I should have that posted pretty soon.

Gene / StorysRVwego
Hello and nice write up. I put a spare tire kit from a pick up on the ladder with some easy modification. It worked great and I keep the spare tire in my storage except for trips out of state. Oh and the jack lift is a pain to store, so I took a piece of 6" square PVC fence post from Home Depot and cut it down and bolted it under the on the frame by the slider door/running board and put end caps. The jack just fit tight and the only bad thing is you have to get down and reach under, but worth it. So my REMIS front shade has worn down from the sun and I put a clear UV window film in the front window. Well worth it I had to remove the shade but not bad for the installer. Then the strings broke and I have rigged it to stay up with clips. LOL I might just pull it out and go with the thick heavy duty window shade cover. So happy trails this summer and I will be off and going in July. Bye the way if look at my under the rear toilet modification I wrote up, it was adopted by Winnie in the 2021/22 modles. These new knock off Travato's don't seem to be as well built. You are so right about going to a Dodge truck place for oil changes and minor items/parts. I am getting 17-18 mpg in my 2020 K59 and have been offered more than I paid.

My neighbor in Florida just passed away and his wife is going to sell his 2017 Travato if you know anyone. I think it has about 35,000 miles. I would put them in touch. I also use my vehicle as a second car and so figure that. Only issue is parking at friends that have HOA's (bad people) or some Hotels. We like to change it up in our longer haul trips. Well enjoy life and don't worry about gas prices. I say it just takes more of the big rigs off the road. Yea

Take care
Larry and Trudy in the Florida Keys
Old 06-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Hi Larry and Trudy,
I share the same concerns re UV causing issues with the shade. Any shade really but of course the REMIS system is a bit more expensive than most solutions. Simplest works. But we're looking for the storage of just about anything when we take loooong trips.

I do try to park where the front windshield of our Travato is not getting direct sun. Not always possible but helps to limit heat off the glass for shades, dash, humans, etc. We also keep the Travato parked inside a shop when at home so for a good number of days of its life, it's indoors. Especially in Winter where its parked from Nov to at least early Feb. A side benefit is I don't have to Winterize like I would if I put the Travato in the barn or some other storage inside or out. We don't hibernate at all. We just don't take long trips during Winter months. A few days here or there, weather permitting we'll do during the Winter. Anyway, still will keep a well mashed down shade I can stick in front of the REMIS if I need to give it some UV relief, plus a tiny bit of R factor, maybe. Its an old school shade that weighs nothing and isn't anything more than a thin bubble pack, silverized on one side. And if the REMIS gives me any issues, than this old thing will be backup to privacy if need to call it to action.

Always have fun with our Travato and we too can get a lot more than we paid for it. Except no interest in selling it for some years to go (it and we hope, us) still. Ditto mileage. Around town, not so good but easy to get north of 15 with it on long runs, a solid 17+ average. we compute our trips on less mpg so we know what we might spend to keep the budget realistic. Generally we do better than our conservative computing so its always a pleasure with the Travato to spend less and have more fun. (grin)
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #27
Gold Member

Default Remis front window pull up shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post

Gene / StorysRVwego
Hello to anyone that sees this message about the Remis front pull up shade. I decided to see if I could restring the window shade and found it very difficult. I did figure out another way. I marked the area on the top part of the plastic rod on each side that pulls up and locks in. Then I drilled a small hole about 2"-3_ from the top and inside the edge being careful. I put in a thumb screw on each side, that I got from home depot, and made the hole a bit smaller. I twisted and worked the screw into the hole until it was level with the back. . I was careful to find the stop when the rod goes down that the screw head (flat round) does not hit or interfere with anything when put down. To my surprise this worked very good holding the shade up. Putting the shade down is a little tricky to keep it in the track from bunching up, but it was better than replacing the whole thing in my opinion. So far so good on that one.