Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Travato's smaller windows

We have a 2017.5 Travato and were thinking of a new one but the new windows are so much smaller. One of the features of the Travato was the openness and now it's gone.

IMHO. Travato owners, what do you think about the windows?
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
We have a 2017.5 Travato and were thinking of a new one but the new windows are so much smaller. One of the features of the Travato was the openness and now it's gone.

I didn't know the windows changed. Don't they offer a tilt-out acrylic option or are they always sliders?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The new windows are a disaster. But the travato is relatively poorly made so it didn't make the cut anyway.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Gold Member

They shortened the windows over the beds so you could no longer have a opening right next to your head. Then, I guess to fix that, they added some kind of tiny window. Yes, acrylic is an option and they also switched to awning type windows from sliders.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Gold Member

What did you end up with?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Silver Member

I think when they first switched to awning windows they had to restrict the passenger side rear window from opening, to prevent it from being sheared off by the sliding door. So they made the window smaller, and then added the secondary, smaller window. I assume they changed the driver side window to keep them symmetric, or for looks (that's just my guess).

I was surprised about the comments about how poorly made the new Travato is, but I haven't seen one. We bought ours in May, 2016 (It's a 2017 model on a 2016 chassis), and it has held up very well. The only repair was to the motorized step, which was fixed under warranty.

Some of the design choices weren't the greatest - I would prefer a more positive cabinet latch, and we never liked the factory screen door. (I have another post on this forum about switching to the ROLEF door.) But the 59K has served us well.

Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The brand new 2021 Winnebago TRAVATO BU259G we saw last week looked nice on the outside. Really nice.

Sadly, when we got inside we saw that every piece of cabinetry in there was held together with staples, many of which had already cut through the thin vinyl they paste onto whatever lies beneath (MDF? Composite?), and some of the staples inside the rear door had already begun to rust. So, we turned around and left the vehicle, and Travato is no longer on our list of potential units.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Wow it sounds like in spite of the fact that the price has gone up about $20K from when we were looking at them the quality has gone down considerably in the last 2.5 years. We didn't notice any significant difference in the interior trim, fittings, etc compared to the Paseo at that time. Our Paseo has real wood cabinetry, Corian countertops, and no exposed staples anywhere.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post

We have a 2020 Travato K59 and love the twin beds. I don't mind that small port window, but enjoy the side windows which are large enough for me to glance out. I like easy handling when driving. Also they are glass and slide. I like both versions of windows, but that is a choice. My cabinets look great (had issues with the pulls but got those resolved) and I have not found any staples showing. I guess it depends on the year, and labor (no QC) on some models. We have had good luck so far and enjoy the heck out of this RV. This has become my high priced hobby vehicle with some great modifications. I like to Hack. I guess all the B's have things and you like and dislike. You have to buy what fits your needs.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Bronze Member

This is our 2nd Travato. A 2020. Yes this model does have different windows, but we do like the smaller porthole type window at the rear. We also like the pull up shades instead of the roller type shades and magnetic window coverings of our 2018. We’ve had 0 issues with our new one. Never seen a staple. Our first one did have a problem with the medicine cabinet door. The screws were too short. Easy fix at the dealer. To the poster claiming how disastrous the Travato is, let us know what model Class B you’re hiding behind. I’m sure there will be plenty of complaints about it. There’s always an opinion about every Class B.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I do believe the total window area of 2019 Travato K’s and newer is slightly less than before. This said, our ’19 K feels very open and airy inside. In the K with glass sliders the rear porthole windows do not open which I think is a miss. But the slider window does open so maybe it comes out in the wash? I ordered our K with the acrylic windows which i like a lot. They open fully (versus 50% for a slider) and they can be used in the rain. They are also very quiet. They do scratch very easily however. Bottom line, the K still has more windows and light than any other B campervan I looked at, and i looked at a lot of them.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #12

Default 2020 Travato

I am on my second Travato, I have the K model which feels really roomy. I have had 0 problems with this vehicle. Fit and finish was much nicer then my 2017 model. Resale was very good on the old one. I have never found a staple, so I'm not sure what he was talking about. I find the new low profile quiet A/C unit a big improvement, although I do have an issue with the AC when the temp is over 100 degrees. Coleman does have a fix for it however.
I absolutely love the Travato. and I have owned two Sprinters (pleasure way).
Did not like the MBZ dlr. network. To expensive and not easy to find when traveling. You can always find a Ford or Dodge dlr. nearby.
Safe travels,
Larry
Rancho Mirage, Ca.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Hi kmessenger.
First, interesting comment in another reply re "poorly made". Of all of the mass produced Class B's on the market, I will tell you that the WINNEBAGO Travato is overall, is one of the best made. I say overall. Sure we can pick out individual differences that another Class B might excel at but as a whole, the WB Travato is a fine product.

My wife and I spent nearly two years researching Class B's before we purchased. It doesn't take that long to look for an RV. Time was related to our retirement dates.
In that time we looked at A to Z and we certainly did find some refinements in a few upper, similar and lower tier brands. I also look at the manufacturer from various angles. I won't speak negative of other brands but as an example, one manufacturer was producing a model that feature wise was nice. The actual product had walls separating from positon, shower curtain rack cut as if it were done by a hand hacksaw, and the list goes on. An extreme example. Most Class B's at least look good but again, it's not just what you see, it's how it holds up and how well the factory supports it. Case in point -
Zero issues with the RAM Promaster for over two years of ownership. Two factor recalls that were easily delt with by the dealer. other than unfortunate driver door damage while in their shop. They owned up to that and that was taken care of quickly with excellent results.

Only three issues in the Travato coach section. Solar wiring behind a wall where a large pair of connectors came apart when we first bought it. Likely the pair were not seated-snapped together tightly because after doing this, it's hard to get them to come apart. Wire tie added anyway, just to be sure. Outside AC shore power receptacle had LED light (indicates AC voltage live) died. I called the manufacture of that assembly, they sent me a new one as a warranty part and I swapped it out in about 15 minutes. AC power was always fine, just the indicator. The third issue was the electronics in the NOVA Kool refrigerator became irratic. That too was replaced with the factory sending me a warranty replacement module I swapped out. Both of these warranty parts issues were in the first few months. Except for a minor rattle on the bezel surrounding the microwave that I dealt with using an adhesive backed foam, that's it. Other than my self-inflicted mishap with the awning which was easily fixed and speaks much about the excellent quality of the electric awning which we use often with. No rattles, squeaks or anything. Love this 59K.

Re the windows; My wife and I looked at the 2019 while 2018's were still available. A few improvements but we did not like the windows as much as the 2018. I believe the change was done to allow acrylic double insulated window option which only come in certain sizes. I can't tell you that reason is for certain but I think this is why. So a compromise might be assumed to allow for glass or optional acrylic to fit in same areas with the acrylic size being the control element for same inside molded panels and exterior hole size and placement. Just my guess. I think we would have been ok with it since there is still good light but the larger glass in the pre-2019 units we like better as well as a wee bit more light. We spend most of our days outside anyway but yes, we bought a 2018 while we could just because we preferred the window setup like the 2017.5 and earlier 59K's.

One other thing that some people new to Class B's might not realize is the venting, fans and window types used. One of the latest Class B models to come on the market uses RAM factory windows instead of cut in place windows. The factory windows certainly look sleeker from the outside. But the fixed windows along the twin beds do not open. So this can alter cross ventilation opportunities. When people stay inside an RV for extended time, condensation naturally increases. Cold steel on the outside with insulated interior (of varying degrees), propane stove and shower use and the presence of people can cause some environment differences. Having more natural air exchange available can be a blessing. Obviously it can depend a lot on the weather outside but nothing bad about having more windows that can be opened, and opened where you want them. Like you and your partner are sleeping and somewhere in the night, you want to open, or close a window that you learn to use nearby to help control cool air versus radical change to cold or hot, without getting out of bed. Sometimes it is the little things! But each of us have our own things we need or want. Choice is good and a Travato we like might not be right for someone else. It's ok!

If we lost our 2018 for whatever reason, lets put it this way. We would without hesitation, replace it with the latest 59K. We'd get over the window change pretty quick I think. And love the latest AC unit and misc other enhancements. The RAM chassis, powertrain and cabin haven't really changed and for both of us, we are good with that. Including the non-tilt steering wheel which turns out to be no issue and the seats that some people say are a no-go; goodness these are the best long distance driver & passenger seats I have ever had. Didn't think that was going to be the case either. Good luck whatever you do and choose.

StorysRVwego.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
Gold Member

I can't think of any major problem I've had with the 2017.5 (For those who don't know Winnebago. Winnebago will make changes half way through the year. Hence the .5) I did have a problem with the generator and after a couple of months, Cummins gave up and replaced it with a new one. Those of us with experience know that you will end up having to do a lot of little things and/or mods to make it all work. It becomes a hobby for most. My neighbor kid called out to me one day, "Hey Mr Keith. Are you playing with your motor home again?"

Thursday I damaged the passenger side running board on a low rock in the campsite. #$Q$@%@. So that's what those running boards are for! Now my idea is to replace both with the new, wider running board from the 2019. They "look" the same. Also I intend to drop in the new A/C which is an easy (Easy? They all start out that way!) exchange as the hole in the top and the wiring is the same.

In September I am driving up to AM Solar in Springfield, OR, to have a 2000W Inverter/Charger added to the Bus. I had one in a Sprinter that ran everything except the air conditioner.

I'll have the windows I like and some of the new bells and whistles. Now to replace that radio/nav junk with a real one. My wife says just use your phone. Huh? Too logical for me!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #15
Bronze Member

On our 2020.5 they added the newer Coleman AC unit which is so much more quieter than the previous models. I also like the now standard Sumo Springs. Nicer ride and less sway. I wish they would upgrade the useless 5” Tom Tom in dash nav system. I did purchase a Hughes power defender. It has a replaceable surge suppressor and also has a nice Bluetooth application.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:46 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
On our 2020.5 they added the newer Coleman AC unit which is so much more quieter than the previous models. I also like the now standard Sumo Springs. Nicer ride and less sway. I wish they would upgrade the useless 5” Tom Tom in dash nav system. I did purchase a Hughes power defender. It has a replaceable surge suppressor and also has a nice Bluetooth application.
I also read a review on the Colemn NDQ that reported it pulled about 2 amps less juice than the older units (9 amps). If so, you can't beat quiet and efficiency in one. These quieter, more efficient ac units are long overdue.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I also read a review on the Colemn NDQ that reported it pulled about 2 amps less juice than the older units (9 amps). If so, you can't beat quiet and efficiency in one. These quieter, more efficient ac units are long overdue.
I’m fairly certain you’re correct about that. On the 2017 the amperage reading on the energy management screen read 12 amps. The newer Coleman reads 10. I confirmed it with the Hughes Power Defender app. It has an inrush current of 20A when first starting, which is momentary. We can now hear the tv when running the AC.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
I’m fairly certain you’re correct about that. On the 2017 the amperage reading on the energy management screen read 12 amps. The newer Coleman reads 10. I confirmed it with the Hughes Power Defender app. It has an inrush current of 20A when first starting, which is momentary. We can now hear the tv when running the AC.
Win, win!
Old 08-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I have a 2016 and don't believe the quality has changed any.
Mine has been a workhorse - 77,000 miles and no trouble to speak of.
There are no exposed staples and much (but not all) of the interior panels are plywood.
It's a good rig, and a great value. I won't hesitate to buy another Winnebago when the time comes.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:53 AM   #20
Gold Member

Default An update

Took delivery on a 2022 Travato 59kl last week. Love it and the workmanship is really great. No complaints. The window look quite large as they no longer have a valence. Pocket doors for the bathroom. Bigger radio! New beds-no longer so heavy to lift.

We love it!

Keith