Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #41

I watched this today, looks unique at least to me in US and it has a lot I like. Couldn’t find pictures or info on the pop-top andimpact to solar. The website says “either/or” for pop-top vs outdoor kitchen - how can they be related?!
Dove RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #42
Platinum Member

The EKKO will be popular. From a member of the "should I pack the kayak or the bikes?" club.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #43
Gold Member

Just watched the reveal. Ekko looks like a hot mess. Way too much stuff going on. I’m going to have to see this bathroom in person (??). It was like they tried to cram as many popular features and gadgets into one unit.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #44

I have zero interest in a cassette toilet so might be a deal breaker. For this and other models wonder if I can go with cassette for #1 and find a place to store a Laveo for #2.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Thor is setting up manufacturing of Hymer Compact Class C’s in the US. These style units will definitely be popular I think.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove RV View Post
I have zero interest in a cassette toilet so might be a deal breaker. For this and other models wonder if I can go with cassette for #1 and find a place to store a Laveo for #2.
The longer floor plan EKKO has a regular toilet with a black tank.

https://www.winnebago.com/theroadahe...nu=KeyFeatures
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The longer floor plan EKKO has a regular toilet with a black tank.

https://www.winnebago.com/theroadahe...nu=KeyFeatures
Thanks for that - I did see that but prefer the shorter length. Can’t have it all...
Old 11-18-2020, 11:07 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Both EKKO models fail in a "B in a box" in that they are well over 10 ft. tall and the longer version is 25 ft. long which is a foot longer than the largest B and has a slide. The short one is really not short in 23 ft. long. They meet the width criteria. There is not much innovation in design plan, specs or function. The box concept design fails in both ARV's and Winnebago's as looking pleasantly acceptable compared to the more finished formed fiberglass shells of so called B+'s marketed by others.

I understand the dimension goal and the great improvements on the interior dimensions within but I am not enamored with any of them. Despite the actual size they still look huge and ungainly.

I still don't get that penchant for two squeezed together upright passenger seats especially with just one or two occupants of an RV 99% of the time. We entertain guests outdoors and never had a flower in a glass vase and fruit in a bowl. That's a lot of floor space sacrificed that can be put to greater use and good or better creative plan design.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:37 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Looks promising (maybe I should say interesting), though I don't like sticks-and-staples cabinetry, which I believe I saw in the video. OTOH, it's half the price of an ARV B-Box, so I guess something has to give. I'd love to know more about their box and how it compares to other class C units.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:40 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Ugly color selection (countertops, fabrics, etc.), cassette toilet, and too high price turned me off.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:29 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago prices.

Both new from Winnebago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta.jpg (89.3 KB, 42 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Winnebago is expected to announce its new EKKO model entry into the small B+ (aka B-Box) market on Nov 18th. Preliminary information indicates EKKO will be based on Ford's EcoBoost Transit Chassis with optional All Wheel Drive.
The EKKO is a class C, not a B. The Winnebago website also classifies it as a "C". So we can't talk about it here!

Also IMO its ugly.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #53
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
The EKKO is a class C, not a B. The Winnebago website also classifies it as a "C". So we can't talk about it here!

Also IMO its ugly.
Nah, it’s not ugly....it’s “rugged”.

What’s funny is these FitRV people are really trying to push this vehicle yet in their video they talk about the different things they need to mod. Thought this was supposed to be their dream vehicle? I realize there’s no perfect rig but...dang.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #54
Platinum Member

From what I have noticed, we find what is the closest to what we want and then hope to change/improve it for our personal use. I was going to say it was a "guy thing." But, many of us women make many tweaks to make ours more user friendly... even if we have to find someone to pay to do it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #55
Gold Member

There are ALWAYS mods! We don't consider that a strike against the EKKO in any way. Where it works for us is in the things we can't or don't want to mod.
thefitrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Looks promising (maybe I should say interesting), though I don't like sticks-and-staples cabinetry, which I believe I saw in the video. OTOH, it's half the price of an ARV B-Box, so I guess something has to give.
I agree about the cabinetry - looks identical to the entry level Solis model cabinets. It will be interesting to see how they hold up under rugged usage conditions the EKKO is targeted for.

At $164k list the EKKO street price should end up around $125k once traditional WGO discounting of 25-30% returns after Covid. For a compact rig with standard AWD, gear garage, fully enclosed all-weather systems, 50 gal water, 315 Ah lithium, 455w solar, and dedicated second alternator charging that's quite unique.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitrv View Post
There are ALWAYS mods! We don't consider that a strike against the EKKO in any way. Where it works for us is in the things we can't or don't want to mod.
James wouldn't be happy without mods.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
..Also IMO its ugly...
Can't really disagree with you there, although the boxy look is probably inescapable in a compact fully insulated and enclosed 'b-box' type design.

But I was surprised to see all those 1980's shagadelic stripey and star decals. Recent WGO Class B designs have been admirably clean and free of those old "Weird Uncle Al's RV" flourishes.

Fit RV folks - maybe one of your mods can be a tasteful graphics redesign? And convince your Winnebago friends to adopt something cleaner?
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
But I was surprised to see all those 1980's shagadelic stripey and star decals. Recent WGO Class B designs have been admirably clean and free of those old "Weird Uncle Al's RV" flourishes.
The (or at least "a") purpose of the shagadelics is to disguise waviness and other flaws in the fiberglass body. Not an issue with B-vans (unless the owner attempted to use spray-foam insulation ).
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Both EKKO models fail in a "B in a box" in that they are well over 10 ft. tall and the longer version is 25 ft. long which is a foot longer than the largest B and has a slide. The short one is really not short in 23 ft. long...
The height failure is kind of a big deal, good catch.

Our Airstream Interstate, without any additional after-market stuff on the roof, comes in at 9'7" tall. With the additional dish dome-style antenna up there, it comes in at 10'2" tall, which for us is indeed a fail. We don't like this "enhanced" height, and we don't watch satellite TV anyway, so we're having it removed, bringing us back to less than 10' in height, and making room for more important things, like another solar panel.

So, I would not line up to buy anything over 10' tall or longer than my already longer than ideal 3500 extended Sprinter on its 170" wheelbase (24.4' long).

So, it's not a "B", eh? I guess we can either walk away from this or put it in an off-topic forum?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote