Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
as i understand it-and i could be wrong-each seat belt seat is assigned 150 pounds. the ekko has 4. If you actually only have 2 people in it you pick up 300 pounds in occc. Just a thought
OCCC rating includes the weight of all occupants. The O in OCCC stands for Occupant. So an OCCC of 1500 lbs really means about 1200 lbs of cargo capacity with one driver and one passenger on board. Fill that 50 gallon water tank, and now you are down to 800 lbs. Fill those two propane tanks and now you're at about 750 lbs.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #102
Platinum Member

And that is why the bigger model doesn't make any sense on a Transit chassis. I'll bet with the weight of the slide-out and the longer box, it will lose at least 400 lbs in OCCC. Lots of storage, but no cargo capacity to put anything in that storage...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
And that is why the bigger model doesn't make any sense on a Transit chassis. I'll bet with the weight of the slide-out and the longer box, it will lose at least 400 lbs in OCCC. Lots of storage, but no cargo capacity to put anything in that storage...
bigger model is classified as 2 passenger-per winnebago website
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
bigger model is classified as 2 passenger-per winnebago website
My numbers in the above two examples were assuming 2 passengers. Put more passengers in the shorter version, and you'll have even less cargo capacity.

My point on the longer model was that the Transit chassis doesn't make much sense. It will end up with very limited real cargo capacity.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I am going TO SEE an EKKO for sure, as soon as possible.
Retirement comes in a couple of years. I figure our traveling habits will change. We are doing some test trips with a small cargo trailer now. With more time on the road, I am thinking it will either be a "B" with a small cargo trailer, or something just a tad bigger than our Travato that can carry a little cargo on board. Either way, it is a compromise as we love the mobility of the B.
Hope you'll come back and update your findings once you've seen it. Comparing true class B capabilities vs these new small Class C (B-box size) units will be high on the priority list for many of us.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #106
Platinum Member

I have been reading up on the Ekko and it is starting to grow on me. In my opinion, similar to the Revel, WGO is building it not to compete with typical class B's or Leisure Travel Van C's, but with the Overland Expedition truck market. The Ekko is basically a less expensive starting point to a GXV Turtle $350K (or their bigger trucks $500K+), or an Earthcruiser ($450K+) or Earthroamer ($500-700K+). Think of it as a good starting point for someone that might buy a Ford chassis and box from Total Composites to build out the interior, but don't have the time or skills to DIY. They are targeting the off the grid adventure customer.

If you think of this customer the Ekko makes a lot of sense:
- Fiberglass insulated panel construction
- 4 season capable with heated garage, indoor plumbing and tanks
- Lithium batteries
- 2nd alternator
- No generator option
- Alucab Fox Wing awning - Alucab makes expo equipment in S. Africa.
- Nice solar setup
- Large garage for bikes and gear. Already equipped with lights, heat, AC plug and L-track from the factory
- All wheel drive but not 4x4 and dual tires on the rear could be an issue. Wonder if you can super singles for a Transit...

Similar to what people have done with Revels they add mods for storage, bumpers, lifts and other items to go deeper offroad. I would imagine a lot of Ekko customers would do the same (2.5" lift, Fox shocks, light bar, etc.). The interior seat fabrics may not matter as much because they will buy fabric seat covers that can get dirty and be cleaned, etc.

Compared to the more expensive GXV, Earthcruiser, Earthroamer offerings the Ekko provides a lot value. Not only cheaper but can get one in 6-7 weeks (once they are at factory volumes), load it up and head to Baja or ship RORO to Argentina. Very different use case and customer than someone who would buy a traditional WGO product.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Here are some examples of what I think the Ekko is trying to compete with as a lower-cost option:

Uro-camper Sprinter Rhino
https://www.uro-camper.com/web/en/me...ter-4x4-rhino/

GXV Turtle
https://www.globalxvehicles.com/turtle.html
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote