Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #81
Gold Member

This shows HOW closely the EKKO mimics European designs. I spent the 1st few seconds watching this video wondering why Winnebago's new rig was being reviewed in German.

It's amazing how many design similarities the new Hymer Crossover ML-T 570 has with the EKKO, right down to the black cab and white body. Turn on subtitles to follow the details for this rig.
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I'll make you a deal. Build the same exact thing, and I'll pay you $90K. It'll be an easy $25K for you. As a matter of fact, I'll find three other buyers too!
$100K, just like that. BOOM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Sure will, easy! Give me Winnebago's resources and I'll do it in a heartbeat.
Excellent answer!
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
This shows HOW closely the EKKO mimics European designs. I spent the 1st few seconds watching this video wondering why Winnebago's new rig was being reviewed in German.

It's amazing how many design similarities the new Hymer Crossover ML-T 570 has with the EKKO, right down to the black cab and white body. Turn on subtitles to follow the details for this rig.
Diesel stove, I didn't see it in our B-class except in DIYs. I was contemplating it early in my design but opted for an alcohol/120VAC Origo. Big difference between European and North America markets is utilization of large battery banks exemplified by using diesel vs inductive stove. Benefit of diesel stove is dual duty, cooking and cabin heating.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Very little room above the bed in the Hymer unit, and I'd expect a few head-bonking episodes in there, but aside from that it looks like far superior build quality with many thoughtful touches such as skylights everywhere. I assumed the cooktop was induction.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #85
Gold Member

The inner bathroom door to switch between the toilet/sink and shower stall looks kind of clunky with the extra flap. The other odd feature is they combine lithium along with an AGM battery.
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Very little room above the bed in the Hymer unit, and I'd expect a few head-bonking episodes in there, but aside from that it looks like far superior build quality with many thoughtful touches such as skylights everywhere. I assumed the cooktop was induction.
It is Webasto stove/heater commonly used in marine world. https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/...l-cooker-x100/
Attached Images
File Type: png das.png (380.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Default VW Colorado

VW, they love naming their vehicles using our beautiful states like California or Colorado but none are present here, backstabbing.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Build the same exact thing, and I'll pay you $90K.
Quote:
Sure will, easy! Give me Winnebago's resources and I'll do it in a heartbeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Excellent answer!
..."Excellent answer", except that one would have to PAY a couple hundred million for Winnebagos resources...

That's a bit like saying, "GIVE me Apple Inc., and I can sell you an Iphone for $25.00."
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #89
Platinum Member

Quote:
..."Excellent answer", except that one would have to PAY a couple hundred million for Winnebagos resources...

That's a bit like saying, "GIVE me Apple Inc., and I can sell you an Iphone for $25.00."
So Scott, are you going for an EKKO?

I might be interested in something like it in a few years when we stop full time travel in our truck. I had assumed it would be an EarthCruiser but they are getting pretty expensive and my wife will never go for the entry way bath/toilet.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #90
Platinum Member

it's amazing to me how people can say this or that is too expensive and should be less expensive.

the biggest cost is labor(which includes benefits/overhead/etc.

the next biggest cost is chassis

then the stuff put into it is last.

I agree if someone did it themselves so labor wasn't part of the cost then it would be different
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Costs of campervan manufacturing in EU are much lower due to investments in 21 Century design and manufacturing, so, prices can be lower than in NA. Costs of campervan manufacturing in NA is higher, most of manufacturers run like bigger or smaller mom and pop shops of the 20 Century. But even with higher costs of manufacturing price of EKKO is scavenging.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Quote:

Apple is likely not the best example as they deploy 21 Century design and manufacturing processes.

Back to Winnebago, point was made "let me use Winnebago resources", not give it to me per say.

The whole point is that prices for Bs in NA are silly.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:29 AM   #93
Platinum Member

One thing to keep in mind about North American prices though is that nobody with half a brain pays MSRP. That $165K MSRP will likely translate to about a $115K street price. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to build anything like it yourself for that price.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:10 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
One thing to keep in mind about North American prices though is that nobody with half a brain pays MSRP. That $165K MSRP will likely translate to about a $115K street price. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to build anything like it yourself for that price.
Valid point about street vs MSRP prices, I didn’t know that by going through this lovely negotiation process you can save 30%, wow, great profit for dealers. There must be a lot of folks with ½ brain if this wonderful negotiating system still exists, if most folks would have complete brains no one would fall into it and MSRP prices would be close to street ones.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Valid point about street vs MSRP prices, I didn’t know that by going through this lovely negotiation process you can save 30%, wow, great profit for dealers. There must be a lot of folks with ½ brain if this wonderful negotiating system still exists, if most folks would have complete brains no one would fall into it and MSRP prices would be close to street ones.
The problem with US RV's is that buying one's first one tends to be a crime of passion. We catch the bug somehow and then typically get SO excited that rationality has a tendency to fall by the wayside.

Things tend to cool off over time, so second-time purchasers usually do better. However, echoes of the initial craziness tend to echo throughout ownership in the form of excessive van-love, manifest in minor irrationalities such as weekly van-waxing, using pointless tank chemicals, constant "improvements", refusing to use the bathroom, etc, etc. These behaviors vary by owner, but we all have them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #96
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The problem with US RV's is that buying one's first one tends to be a crime of passion. We catch the bug somehow and then typically get SO excited that rationality has a tendency to fall by the wayside.

Things tend to cool off over time, so second-time purchasers usually do better. However, echoes of the initial craziness tend to echo throughout ownership in the form of excessive van-love, manifest in minor irrationalities such as weekly van-waxing, using pointless tank chemicals, constant "improvements", refusing to use the bathroom, etc, etc. These behaviors vary by owner, but we all have them.
Good point, I am guilty of it as well. I had about 4 items left on my Voila to do list, scratch all except one, to replace the puny Sprinter horn.

Mr. Toad sees a car for the first time.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
One thing to keep in mind about North American prices though is that nobody with half a brain pays MSRP. That $165K MSRP will likely translate to about a $115K street price.
Initial buyers are reporting prices around $125k for the $165k list EKKO, about 25% discount off Winnebago's inflated MSRP prices. Whether this will go up or down over time presumably depends on buyer demand and market availability.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #98
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
So Scott, are you going for an EKKO?

I might be interested in something like it in a few years when we stop full time travel in our truck...
I am going TO SEE an EKKO for sure, as soon as possible.
Retirement comes in a couple of years. I figure our traveling habits will change. We are doing some test trips with a small cargo trailer now. With more time on the road, I am thinking it will either be a "B" with a small cargo trailer, or something just a tad bigger than our Travato that can carry a little cargo on board. Either way, it is a compromise as we love the mobility of the B.

I am a little concerned about the OCCC; I think I am understanding it is a bit LESS than the Travato (1500 lbs VS 1900 lbs). It wouldn't be much help to have more room for cargo, but less weight capacity to carry it...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #99
Platinum Member

Quote:
Retirement comes in a couple of years. I figure our traveling habits will change. We are doing some test trips with a small cargo trailer now. With more time on the road, I am thinking it will either be a "B" with a small cargo trailer, or something just a tad bigger than our Travato that can carry a little cargo on board. Either way, it is a compromise as we love the mobility of the B.

I am a little concerned about the OCCC; I think I am understanding it is a bit LESS than the Travato (1500 lbs VS 1900 lbs). It wouldn't be much help to have more room for cargo, but less weight capacity to carry it...
Lots of details yet to discover with the EKKO but they managed to be the first major player to get to market with a good design for a European style compact Class C. Expect we will see more options coming out soon.

Nice to see the small RV options expanding instead of just more of the same stuff...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:

as i understand it-and i could be wrong-each seat belt seat is assigned 150 pounds. the ekko has 4. If you actually only have 2 people in it you pick up 300 pounds in occc. Just a thought
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote