Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

Default Winnebago Travato Vs. Roadtrek Zion

Hi, everyone. My wife and I are new to Class B RVing and have not yet bought a vehicle. We're looking for economy and versatility and because we live in Colorado we're favoring the front wheel drive which both of these offer.

We've driven a 2016 Travato 59K, but find some limitations with its floorplan (no seating for additional passengers, usually grandkids - small trays rather than a larger table). We've also looked at the Travato 59G model, but found its floorplan rather cluttered. We're anxious to look at the Roadtrek Zion also, but have not yet been able to test drive one.

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience comparing the Travato and Zion, and can give reasons why you ultimately purchasing either one. Thanks in advance for your advice to us newbies.
DanJoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The actual transaction price on the Travato will be significantly less than the Zion. Availability is also better on the Travato as there are simply more of them produced, and more Winnebago dealers. Also, I found that the build quality is better. Others may argue with me on that one - just look at my post on Hershey 2015 and judge for yourself.

Now if you want big batteries, an inverter and an underhood generator, then the Zion is your choice. If you want to be "off grid" most of the time, then it may suit you better.

The Truma Combi furnace and water heating system is a great feature of the Travato that you won't find elsewhere.

With the Zion, the passengers will have to sit in the back. On the 59G, they will be up front with you. Both the Zion and the 59G have great cargo loading capability in the back.

Both Travatos have bigger kitchen space and bathroom space than the Zion. The Zion has more cabinet space and some big drawers and pantry space.

Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

I see this is and older post... but we chose a Zion because of the cluttered floorplan on the Travato. We have a Swiss Shepherd and couldn't imagine getting around that water tank
I am currently working out all the bugs on the Zion for you if you have any questions. Believe me I am becoming an expert. This is our second Zion. First one was a lemon!
ZiOsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Cluttered floor plan?? Must be a G, the K is WIDE open. Like Ron referred to above, you've missed the quality mark now on 2 RT's which is their normal anymore. He's had 3 Travatos now with nary an issue on any of them...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
swo

Default ZION lemon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiOsmobile View Post
I see this is and older post... but we chose a Zion because of the cluttered floorplan on the Travato. We have a Swiss Shepherd and couldn't imagine getting around that water tank
I am currently working out all the bugs on the Zion for you if you have any questions. Believe me I am becoming an expert. This is our second Zion. First one was a lemon!
Lemon ? in what way chassis or coach?
I see tons of Promaster issues on the Promaster Forum but not many specific to R/Ts use.

I'm getting serious about a possible ZION purchase.

I see references in some of this forum's posts about quality issues with ZION's.Yeah I looked behind the closet access panel and saw the the plumbing and wiring. I sure there's things in all builders models that make us shake our heads.

I've looked at two ZIONs and one Travato 59G in 3 weeks - the Zion appearance and workmanship looked fine to me. The 2016 Travato had body defects in the sheet metal and exterior screw heads around the tanks fills and vent covers were already corroded. I haven't seen this on the R/T's I looked at and one of those was 2015.

Is there something I should be looking for?
Thanks ...
swo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiOsmobile View Post
Hi, I'd like to know more about the problems you had with your Zion. My wife and I are considering a Roadtrek Zion SRT to replace our current 04 Chevy Roadtrek Versatile 190. Curious about what to expect. We hope to drive our up to the dealer this week to do a side-by-side. We aren't interested in the longer Zions (20'11). Did test drive both the Zion Simplicity (longer) and Zion SRT (shorter at 19'7") and liked the short one better. We don't carry a lot of gear and toys, so small is good for us.
Vince H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #7
Bronze Member

You might consider joining the Roadtrek Owner Group on FB. Lots of QC issues discussed on recent models. Granted there are user educational issues with all the new technologies being deployed as well. I have an SRT on order with solar, 400 EcoTrek batteries, volt start, etc and am keeping my fingers crossed that Hymer is already helping to step up the RT game.
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestion, islandrog. I have sent a request and a private message to the administrator for that group but have not had a response yet. If you can alert me to a few of the most important issues with the new Zions (esp. the SRT), I'd appreciate it, as we are going to look at one Thursday.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
Bronze Member

A number of new Zion owners (including SRT) are happy with their new RTs. A couple have reported issues with venting issues on the Gray tank resulting in not being able to fill too spec. Also some volt start issues that the dealers have sorted out with RT. My sense is that for the most part these technical issues have been resolved and now it is educating the user community. There is also the Roadtreking Group on FB (more of a RV lifestyle group) that you can pick up some good tips. Also check YouTube for Roadtrek videos on various subjects such as volt start, EcoTrek, solar.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

Default oh sooooo many problems

Vince,

We are on our second Zion. RT replaced the first one because the under hood generator was burning a hole through a coolant hose... such a long story. The second Zion has been somewhat problematic also but nothing affecting the engine. I have to say RT has been making food on all the problems and everything is getting fixed as we go along, but as much money as these are I was so hoping for more ease as we traveled. As luck would have it, all the things that have gone wrong always happen on the weekend while out traveling. Not sure what the universe is trying to tell me.
ZiOsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #11

Just ordered a Travato 59K. We both love the open floor plan. I'm tall so the 80" twin bed and the bath across the back of the coach were big deciding factors for us. Mid-coach wet baths in B's usually with a curved ceiling just don't work for me. When I sat in the Zion's driver's seat, the bathroom wall made it impossible for me to lean back sufficiently to get into a comfortable driving position. No problem in the K. The counter top is there, but it's low enough that I can still recline the seat back to where I need it when I raise the seat to it's highest position. Even the extra inch of standing height (6'3" in the Travato vs 6'2" in the Zion) made a huge difference in my comfort level. Also really like the new features in the 59K like Truma Combi and the compressor frig. And the price of course. Now, it would definitely be nice having the VoltStart! Oh well. As you can tell, many of my preferences come from the fact that I'm tall. Each to his own. The Zion is a fine machine. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you pick.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

We also went back and forth, and bought a Zion with the side bench - if the Travato K had seat belts we would have considered that, but we need the option of carrying passengers for day trips, etc. The G just didn't feel right with no back seating area. It is personal preference, take your time, test drive both, set up the beds, sit in all areas with the tables set up, etc. The Roadtrek warranty is good, testing that out as we had a hole in the hot water pipe (the dealer found it before our purchase). Understand the Voltstart if you go that route; it's a little more limited than we had expected (thanks to this forum for explanations). We got the Solar and Ecotrek package with underhood generator. Good luck.
ejliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Ejiliam, you may consider joining the FB Roadtrek Owners Group. Lots of good information on your Zion.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejliam View Post
The G just didn't feel right with no back seating area.
I feel the same way about the G. I need the seat belts so the K is out too. I've been saying that Winnebago should offer another model Travato where they replace the rear fold down bed with a hinged folding sofa that makes into a bed. There could be some storage under it, cabinets above, and a second TV mounted on a swing arm on the bulkhead wall of the rear bath. Basically a G front half and bath, but with a second seating area. I'd bet Winnebago could produce something like that without a lot of development costs... They probably have numerous couches like I'm describing (in various lengths) already in inventory for one of their other coaches. This design may not be for everyone but would offer a second seating/living area, the potential for more seat belts, and also the rear TV could be swung to face the tailgate for tailgating , etc. That area is a bit narrow, but I bet the hinged folding sofa we had in our 2005 Minnie Winnie 24F would fit in there (might need to modify some to go around the wheel-wells). Just recover it to match the rest of the interior and Winnebago has a product that is only slightly modified and might appeal to people who want a lounge area that isn't the dinette/front seats. There wouldn't be as much floor space/storage in the back, but all floorplans in class B's are tradeoffs.

Just my thoughts.
Moose1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

We do belong to that group and also the Travato group, good ideas for modification and pro master vans. Thanks
ejliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1790 View Post
I feel the same way about the G. I need the seat belts so the K is out too. I've been saying that Winnebago should offer another model Travato where they replace the rear fold down bed with a hinged folding sofa that makes into a bed. There could be some storage under it, cabinets above, and a second TV mounted on a swing arm on the bulkhead wall of the rear bath. Basically a G front half and bath, but with a second seating area. I'd bet Winnebago could produce something like that without a lot of development costs... They probably have numerous couches like I'm describing (in various lengths) already in inventory for one of their other coaches. This design may not be for everyone but would offer a second seating/living area, the potential for more seat belts, and also the rear TV could be swung to face the tailgate for tailgating , etc. That area is a bit narrow, but I bet the hinged folding sofa we had in our 2005 Minnie Winnie 24F would fit in there (might need to modify some to go around the wheel-wells). Just recover it to match the rest of the interior and Winnebago has a product that is only slightly modified and might appeal to people who want a lounge area that isn't the dinette/front seats. There wouldn't be as much floor space/storage in the back, but all floorplans in class B's are tradeoffs.

Just my thoughts.
Basically, they need to do a Zion with the WGO flair and low price.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Basically, they need to do a Zion with the WGO flair and low price.
At the current time at full production capacity at their current prices I wonder what the incentive would be for Roadtrek to try to move closer to Winnebago prices for comparable products. They did introduce the Simplicity to have a lower priced Promaster product but it is not at the same level of content as a Travato. One would hope that Roadtrek can break out of their traditional design rut and come up with some more modern design elements taking a cue from Hymer...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #18

Given the poor seating options in many newer designs, it seems more and more that these vehicles are designed for upper middle class to wealthy couples, often at or near retirement, who have no children or grandchildren, or at least no desire to bring them on a family vacation. I'm also bewildered about the importance of TV. I can watch TV at home. But I know that my spouse and I are outliers, and these are basically designed for someone other than us.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
Site Team

The TV and media stuff are largely just glitz. Lots of showroom appeal and not very expensive. Some people actually are about it (especially the tailgaters), but many do not.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince H View Post
Given the poor seating options in many newer designs, it seems more and more that these vehicles are designed for upper middle class to wealthy couples, often at or near retirement, who have no children or grandchildren, or at least no desire to bring them on a family vacation.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Moose1790 is offline   Reply With Quote