Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Xplorer 230XLW off pavement

Interested in buying 1999-2004 Xplorer 230XLW and wondering how they perform away from paved roads, such as washboard and potholed forest roads, and simply bad roads.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Gold Member

I've got one (a '9 and have done quite a bit of what would probably be termed as off-roading in it, getting to and from various BLM, National forest spots, etc. and have been on so-called jeep trails that are probably apply named, and have yet to break anything (knock on wood). The key is slow going. I think that Xplorer did their best to make sure that their products were capable of truly exploring, as everything is nicely tucked up in the undercarriage as possible, and although I haven't gotten out a tape measure to compare it to other designs I think that few class B's have more ground clearance. I am running 245/75's in lieu of 225/75 which does make some difference in that regard as well. The wastewater dump location is just forward of the rear wheels, and depending on how much air I have in my rear airbags is at or just above axle centerline, so is very well protected. My lowest point is the battery box; it is almost in line with the front wheel, and is very strongly built. I have scraped it a few times, but it has suffered zero damage as a result. When the going gets really rough I pump up my airbags to 100PSI from my normal 60 to 75 depending on if I'm carrying my motorcycle or not, which adds an inch or so rear clearance. And finally, the rear dually setup along with posi is a giant help, especially in mud or sandy conditions. In short, you will be amazed at how deep in the woods you can get with these things.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks Nic, your remarks confirm my thinking about the away from pavement capabilities of the Xplorer.
Now if only I could find to buy an Xplorer 230 XLWT (twin bed) in my area around Seattle, WA

mercer847@yahoo.com
Old 03-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Gold Member

Well best of luck to you. They are tough to find anywhere these days, and for several reasons are highly sought after, as you well know I'm sure. I have made quite a few mods to mine, and if you find yours let me know and I would be more than happy to share what I have learned and done over the years to it. I can honestly say that unless I burn mine up or drive it off a cliff I will keep it up and running until the day I die. I keep abreast of new designs, and still have not found anything that fits my needs better. By the way, I don't know where that smiley face came from! Mine's a '98.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Well aware of what you are saying. Had 3 units slup away no fault of my own. Also prepared to retrofit a similar RV with air bags, springs, rear LSD, and duallies if necessary. Prefer Ford van chassis as am aware of Dodge shortcommins especiall front frame rust and faulty dashboard plastic.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:19 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Owned my 1990 230XL for 4 years

Owned my 1990 230XL for 4 years and have been upgrading it ever since.

Of course it was a real POS when we got it so it needed a lot of TLC. It has been a great family project. So if you aren't afraid of the challenge you might be able to find better deal on a fixer-upper.

I've posted photos & some video of our journey that should still be viewable.

Good luck on your hunt!
NishimotosB is offline   Reply With Quote