Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #41
Gold Member

Thanks for the input. I'll ask for the alignment printout. There have been multiple issues going on with the RT that have and continue to reveal themselves. I did a terrible job inspecting the RT before purchase. Not sure about the alignment as the tires had been shifted around. All 4 tires had adequate tread and no classic uneven, out of alignment wear. The fronts were from 2012 and rears were 2017. The front passenger was on the newer style oem steel wheel with a different offset, none of this noticed during purchase inspection. The spare was covered and turned out to be on the correct steel wheel and the outside edge was worn uneven an obvious alignment concern. I think the spare had been on the front passenger location. I knew at purchase time I was going to replace the tires as they were an off brand and I have always run LTX Michelins on my Chevy trucks and knew that I would need to align the RT as part of tire replacement. The shocks are also a thing I have always replaced on the Chevy Trucks. I always used Rancho 9000's but these are not available for the RT. The Bilstein's thanks to all the positive input on the forums were an easy choice. Breaking off a lower front shock bolt and the low clearance issues led to the rebuild of the entire front end. Older threads on this Forum with the addition of the current posts have guided and informed choices. Again, I wish to thank you all for the gift of these forums.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #42
Gold Member

Here are first impressions of the 02CRT190P road test of the new suspension, steering components, front brakes and new ujoints on the drive shaft. First the brakes are definitely better. I got at least 2 inches+ of lift from the Moog 81012 coils and the super springs in the rear. The low line of the RT was even with the tire rim line previously and now nearly halfway to the axle. I did get the recommended print out of the alignment and the front wheels have a -44 and a -42 camber. The ride does not seem harsh but rather steady, with a lot less sway in the 20mph winds yesterday when on highway 395. The steering however, while feeling a bit tight will get some getting used to as it seems to jump or over steer a bit with small movements on the steering wheel. The caster and toe are within spec but maybe at slightly high 65 PSI in the new Agilis Michelins and nothing yet worn in, in the suspension and steering that might be the cause of that concern. They want me back to check everything in 500 t0 700 miles which of course I will do. Thanks again for all the great valuable advice and assistance. I have photos but still trying to figure out how to make them into a URL, whatever that is, to post them
Old 09-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
Here are first impressions of the 02CRT190P road test of the new suspension, steering components, front brakes and new ujoints on the drive shaft. First the brakes are definitely better. I got at least 2 inches+ of lift from the Moog 81012 coils and the super springs in the rear. The low line of the RT was even with the tire rim line previously and now nearly halfway to the axle. I did get the recommended print out of the alignment and the front wheels have a -44 and a -42 camber. The ride does not seem harsh but rather steady, with a lot less sway in the 20mph winds yesterday when on highway 395. The steering however, while feeling a bit tight will get some getting used to as it seems to jump or over steer a bit with small movements on the steering wheel. The caster and toe are within spec but maybe at slightly high 65 PSI in the new Agilis Michelins and nothing yet worn in, in the suspension and steering that might be the cause of that concern. They want me back to check everything in 500 t0 700 miles which of course I will do. Thanks again for all the great valuable advice and assistance. I have photos but still trying to figure out how to make them into a URL, whatever that is, to post them

Interesting. I am a bit surprised at that camber which probably has a decimal point before it so .44 and .42 degrees. The vans typical spec alignment of positive .13 to .25 degrees. That might be part of the darting, but not really likely, I think. What are the caster and toe? Toe is a major cause of that kind of behavior if it is toes out. Low caster can also be an issue that makes it feel like it is turning too quickly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #44
Gold Member

Leave it to me to read the printout wrong. Under current measurements:
Left Front: Camber -0.58 degree Right Front: Camber -0.18 degree
Caster 2.77 degree Caster 2.93 degree
Toe 0.06 in Toe 0.06 in
Total Toe .12in
Steer Ahead -0.01 degree

Left Rear: Camber -0.62 degree Right Rear: Camber -0.14 degree
Toe -0.01 in Toe 0.00 in
Total Toe 0.00 in
Thrust Angle -0.01 degree

Think I learned something writing this out. Watched a YouTube this morning of a guy doing a Hunter Alignment. This read out which has the same colored bar graph layout has a lot of info to learn. Thanks B.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
The rear suspension plan seems to be set with the choice of new Bilsteins all around. I'm seeing for the rear the B6 #24 221948 for plus 7300 GVW. The fronts have 2 different part numbers to figure out. For the B6 +7300 GVW they specify 24 025652 or a 24 024808 no indication of weight rating.
Floorman

I am getting ready to order parts for my 02 Chevy 190 and wondered which model Bilstein you went with for the fronts?

24 025652 or a 24 024808

thanks
Old 09-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #46
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Floorman

I am getting ready to order parts for my 02 Chevy 190 and wondered which model Bilstein you went with for the fronts?

24 025652 or a 24 024808

thanks
Sorry so late but I see 24025652 on my Rock Auto Invoice
Old 09-14-2023, 08:16 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Thanks......No issues I take it
Old 09-14-2023, 09:21 PM   #48
Gold Member

Bilsteins no. However, I did despite multiple applications of BPBlaster, break off a lower shock bolt on the front driver side that led to a close inspection of preforated greaseless ball joints and the decision to replace everything in the front suspension, brakes, bearings and all the steering links. I've outlined the changes in previous comments on this post. I suggest BP Blaster, great care, BP Blaster, maybe a torch, more BP Blaster to get those lower front bolts out . I'd use a tap to clean the threads and find some new grade 5 or 8 bolts.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:01 AM   #49
Platinum Member

thanks for the heads up on the lower shock bolts - I would not have thought that those would be prone to breaking considering their size. The ones I am thinking about are the two uppers on the rears. Those seem like they could easily shear off.....
Old 09-15-2023, 12:37 AM   #50
Platinum Member

On my van ( 05 Express) I used Bilstein 24-187435 front, 24-221948 rear.

the fronts are easy, like minutes

the rears took me awhile as it seemed i needed every adapter in tool box to get around the Rv stuff

My bolts, fasteners etc were all fine

my old write up here:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post58201
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #51

I've used the Moog 81012 coil spring on my Chevy Express 3500, and it definitely gave a nice lift. It's a solid choice if you want that extra height. Just be sure to check your vehicle's compatibility before making the switch.
ceoshank88 is offline   Reply With Quote