Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2003 Dodge Roadtrek 190 cabinet removal

We could use more interior space and less storage in our van and I was considering removing the cabinetry back from the shower on the passenger side and back from the galley on the driver side keeping the rear cabinets next to the AC. Does anybody have experience with this? I am particularly interested to know if the cabinets are simply screwed in or if they are also glued in. I have emailed Roadtrek with this question a week ago and they haven't replied so that might mean removal is not recommended?
Bozeorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default cabinets removal accomplished

Both cabinets are held in by screws only. Removal was straight forward except for 2 screws inside the top right of the TV cabinet. These screws required forcing the roll down cover out of the track partially to gain access to the screws. I plan to use thin wood paneling to cover up the exposed insulation and wiring. This worked well with the microwave removal that I did in the past. Removal of the cabinets opens up the living space nicely and saves 86 lbs of wood.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I am curious. Did you save the cabinets you removed?
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Yes, I saved the cabinets. They came out without any damage at all to cabinets or rest of van. They take up quite a bit of storage space so I'm not sure that I will hang onto them. I have saved the microwave and associated hardware, 3 rd seat/seat belt/storage base, tv, and vcr and wrapped them in cellophane in case I would sell the van. It can all be remounted pretty easily. Now I have my eyes on the AC and generator and remounting the spare where the generator is. I have two decent coach batteries so I only use the generator to run the AC but my wife doesn't like AC so both the generator and AC will likely be removed soon. The best mod I've made so far is the addition of Timbren rubber springs with additional 1 inch spacer for the rear axle. Pretty straight forward install. No more tail wagging the dog in curves and windy conditions (marriage saver)! Another simple and dramatic modification is addition of the OEM amp for the radio. It is plug and play and can be found cheap on ebay. Replacing the dash speakers is a must.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Silver Member

Do you have any pictures of how it looks after removal?
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Bronze Member

First picture is 3rd seat delete.

Second picture is removal of kitchen head bangers. I plan to use paneling to cover exposed areas and webbing to hold items on top shelf.

Third and forth pictures are removal of cabinetry that opens up living space. Again, I plan to use paneling and mount electrical items in paneling.

Last picture is removal of AC and overhead cabinet doors. I plan to make a modular cabinet to fit the AC space so that if I wanted AC in the future I could remove the cabinet and insert the AC. The long cabinets on the side I may cut back to give more head room.

If anyone has finishing ideas, please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (302.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (187.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (168.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0838.jpg (141.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (135.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Silver Member

Looks great, I was planning on orienting the rear bed side to side, it would make the bed smaller but open up the living space.

Now that I see how easy those cabinets are to remove I'm thinking perhaps floor to ceiling closets.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Cabinet removal opens things up nicely. I also plan to make a cutout in the left galley support to mimic the new Roadtrek 190 layout sort of.

If you do remove the cabinets and/or air conditioner know that each piece seems to have a "mystery screw" or two that took my a while to find. At first I thought there was glue somewhere but the cabinets come out completely unharmed when done with care and without harm to headliner. Also, disassembly of the AC and DC outlets is needed prior to removing the cabinet and can be reassembled and remounted.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks for that. I'm also planning on pulling the AC and redoing the entire U shaped cabinet to make every inch usable. Perhaps set of long roller doors.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Pulling those cabinets that on either side of the AC is what I considered too but it didn't seem as straight forward as the other cabinets so I plan to modify them (cut them back) in place but I'm still trying to come up with a plan. Modifying them outside the van sure would be nice though. Please let me know how they come out if you do take them out.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeorbust View Post
Yes, I saved the cabinets. They came out without any damage at all to cabinets or rest of van. They take up quite a bit of storage space so I'm not sure that I will hang onto them. I have saved the microwave and associated hardware, 3 rd seat/seat belt/storage base, tv, and vcr and wrapped them in cellophane in case I would sell the van. It can all be remounted pretty easily. Now I have my eyes on the AC and generator and remounting the spare where the generator is. I have two decent coach batteries so I only use the generator to run the AC but my wife doesn't like AC so both the generator and AC will likely be removed soon. The best mod I've made so far is the addition of Timbren rubber springs with additional 1 inch spacer for the rear axle. Pretty straight forward install. No more tail wagging the dog in curves and windy conditions (marriage saver)! Another simple and dramatic modification is addition of the OEM amp for the radio. It is plug and play and can be found cheap on ebay. Replacing the dash speakers is a must.
Bozeorbust, have you considered selling you third seat?
Junglejaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Yes I would consider selling the 3rd seat along with the cabinet it sits on, back rest, and seat belt if anyone is interested.

Also, I can't imagine remounting the cabinetry now that I have more space in the van so that can be for sale too. Microwave and brackets, the vent/light over the burners, TV & VCR, and cabinet doors for the upper back cabinets and galley cabinets are also for sale.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Do you know when the next build party is or how do I find out is there a website or facebook group for this? thank you
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
Bronze Member

I just sold the 3rd seat yesterday and the passenger side cabinet behind the shower is spoken for. The other stuff is still for sale. Here are some photos of the finished remodel. We are glad to give up storage space for more livable space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0366.jpg (142.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0373.jpg (164.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (143.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (132.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeorbust View Post
Pulling those cabinets that on either side of the AC is what I considered too but it didn't seem as straight forward as the other cabinets so I plan to modify them (cut them back) in place but I'm still trying to come up with a plan. Modifying them outside the van sure would be nice though. Please let me know how they come out if you do take them out.
Hey, did you ever figure out how to remove the upper cabinets by the air conditioner? I need to remove some in my 1999 roadtrek
thanks!
Justcall me Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Default cabinet removal

So it seemed that removal of the cabinets that flanked the AC unit would mean removal of structure that was needed to support and frame out the AC. I pulled the AC out and made storage bin but left the lining and surrounding supporting wood alone. I ended up modifying the cabinets in place by cutting them back with a jig saw and then refacing them and using bungee netting instead of the solid wood doors.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #17
Silver Member

Any idea how to tighten up the cabinets?

We have some that are loose and rattley. Id like to get them tightened up while I repair some door pulls etc.
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #18
Silver Member

Has your grey paint job withstood dings and what type of paint was it? This is a great job done here and interesting design ideas. Cool curved cut in the kitchen wall that looks still structurally sound!
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theputnams515 View Post
Any idea how to tighten up the cabinets?

We have some that are loose and rattley. Id like to get them tightened up while I repair some door pulls etc.
There is some adjustment in some of the latches. I also added spongier 1/2" by 1/2" portions of weather stripping to rattle points. The shower door was the biggest culprit for me. I worked on it while my wife was driving so I could better appreciate where the noise was coming from. I added sliding latches to the galley drawers since they came open once in a while during fast left hand turns.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
Has your grey paint job withstood dings and what type of paint was it? This is a great job done here and interesting design ideas. Cool curved cut in the kitchen wall that looks still structurally sound!
I removed the shower door, drawer facings, under sink doors, and wardrobe door. Lightly and quickly fine sanded the surfaces and then painted on one coat of flat interior paint. No paint chipping with the few dings so far. I removed cabinets and opened up the space to give it a more updated camper van feel like in the newer floorplans. We felt a bit claustrophobic in the original layout. We also didn't need all the storage that was originally available.

Tags
roadtrek cabinet removal