Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #21

@Bozeorbust
quote: The best mod I've made so far is the addition of Timbren rubber springs with additional 1 inch spacer for the rear axle.
Does the axle ride on the new Timbren bumpers all the time or just when the
van is 'over-loaded' ?
rekkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:54 PM   #22

Default Lifting Beds?

Very interesting mod thanks for the details. Been looking for our ideal van and it does not exist (though I could do custom). We want storage but for bigger toys not overhead cabinets for small things.

One of the things we really want is effectively high-twin beds or a High-U where we can get the bikes under the bed. Given you have taken out the cabinets, how much space is there above the bed to the roof line? Could one raise the beds up to have, say 35" storage under them and still have a bed you could sit up in (at least with head toward front of van).
Also what is inside the bed regions themselves. I presume there is power water etc but doe they go all the way to get the edge (middle of van side)... or could we slim them down if we made them taller?
dr_innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:53 AM   #23
Bronze Member

Van rests on the Timbren all the time with 1" spacer which is great for highway travel and cross wind stability but not so good on rough roads. I now use the 1/2" spacer which allows minimal suspension travel prior to contacting the Timbrens and is a good compromise for me.
Bozeorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:57 AM   #24
Bronze Member

The Dodge chassis has a support beam that is under the upper cabinets and air conditioner that would require a bit of work to remove and replace. We store bikes on a rack off the back of the van or inside the van (with the removal of the 3rd seat as we have done).
Old 11-21-2022, 01:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeorbust View Post
The Dodge chassis has a support beam that is under the upper cabinets and air conditioner that would require a bit of work to remove and replace. We store bikes on a rack off the back of the van or inside the van (with the removal of the 3rd seat as we have done).
Thanks. I don't think the AC bar would be a problem as that is where our feet would be so even 1ft of space is enough. if the front cabinets are removed, as in your pics, there seems to be enough room. But to get the bikes back there would probably have to reduce the width of the platform down there and raise the bed up with a step to get up at the head end.

We have two moderately expensive e-bikes; don't want to leave them outside. Our most recent trip with hotel stays we kept the bikes inside the minivan.

Do you have any pics of the bikes inside? I did wonder about vertical mounting where the chairs are (in 4 seaters at least taking out the one behind the driver).
dr_innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #26
Bronze Member

With bikes inside there is no room to move around. I don't have pictures of bikes inside. This is probably true of vertical mounting as well. I suspect the front wheel would need to come off. Have you considered pulling a small 4x6' trailer?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:10 PM   #27

Bozo, thanks for all the great updates and pictures. I’ve got a 97 Roadtrek 190 Versatile that I’m looking to change up a bit. I want to remove the wall on the microwave side (front driver’s side in the Versatile) and remove the 3rd and 4th seats to add a lower cabinet and doubl/triple the counter space. I love to cook and need more usable space than I have now. Do you know if the walls around the kitchen area are “load bearing” or anything like that?
cerealkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:47 PM   #28
Bronze Member

I believe removal of the seats is not a problem but removal of the vertical kitchen wall likely does impact structural strength of the roof in the event of a rollover. I considered this when I removed cabinets but felt that since it would be uncommon that someone would be in the back while driving that it would be OK.

Tags
roadtrek cabinet removal