Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Thank you for the correction and guidance. I did jump to a conclusion not based on MY experience, but on others' comments and experience. My apologies.
And I apologize for getting a bit snarky.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
And I apologize for getting a bit snarky.
No, you were on the mark. Always interested/appreciate your experiences with the Travato. Will look at them in Hershey this fall.

Aside from the Winnebago use of LP fridges in the 59G, designing for a budget, etc. the question is:

Not being concerned with budget or space constraints (now that's a loaded assumption - there is always a budget) would you rather have a 12/110 compressor fridge or a 3 way fridge. And why?

I know, that could be its own thread.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The newest 59G model no longer has the electric only HWH. It has the Truma Combi as does the 59K.
Saw the Truma yesterday in person. It's about the size of an 18 pack of beer....neat!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I'm speaking only for myself. Even if my MH was available with a compressor fridge, I would choose the 3-way. If it came only with a compressor style, it would not be a deal-breaker. But that fridge would have to be as worry free resource-wise as the propane one is. I don't want a large battery bank and I don't want solar panels.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post
All that aside, I still don't like to have to open the fridge door to change the temperature setting, no matter which of the three modes it's in. Yes, I'm still a newbee at this but it takes no time when the door is open for the temperature to go up and forever for the temperture to drop. Couple that with having to change modes when we decide to travel about (which is why we got a "B" in the first place), I sit with my eyes glued to the temperature on the remote sensor I'm using to see what it shows which is ever changing depending on inside temp, outside temp, how much is in the fridge, and the power mode. Would it have been too much to ask to have at least the temperature setting knob on the outside? I guess the answer to that is "yes".
I'm not going to defend that design decision. It's dumb. And it should also be self-igniting.

However, if your refrigerator is stocked with stuff, opening the door for the 10 secs it takes to adjust the temp won't change the temp of your food. You may notice the thermometer you have change, but it's just measuring the temp of the warm air you introduced by opening the door. I think if you had that thermometer in a glass of water in the fridge and you opened the door to adjust the thermostat, you'd notice no drop in temperature.

Also, the manual states that on 12v, there is no thermostatic control so don't bother adjusting it. The element runs continuously. Not sure about 120v.

I travel with the propane on 99% of the time.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Here is a refrigerator full of food for thought. All compressor refrigerators I've seen (in my RV and at home) have all had the thermostat controls inside the refrigerator.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Here is a refrigerator full of food for thought. All compressor refrigerators I've seen (in my RV and at home) have all had the thermostat controls inside the refrigerator.
The guess would be that is because almost all the compressor frigs use the sealed bulb, pressure switch, type of thermostat. They work the best when the entire assembly is at the controlled temperature. That type of switch is probably also much better suited to the higher loads (especially the starting of the compressor) than electronic controls.

The absorption frigs already have the electronic controls (on newer units) for the burner, safety, and igniter, so adding a thermister control for temp is an inexpensive and easy way to do it. They are quite low current compared to what a compressor pulls starting. The electronic controls don't have any need to be in the cold so they can be outside.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
And the really nice absorption refrigerator I had in my Class C had no adjustment dial at all but somehow managed to keep things at the right temperature in any condition.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm not going to defend that design decision. It's dumb. And it should also be self-igniting.

However, if your refrigerator is stocked with stuff, opening the door for the 10 secs it takes to adjust the temp won't change the temp of your food. You may notice the thermometer you have change, but it's just measuring the temp of the warm air you introduced by opening the door. I think if you had that thermometer in a glass of water in the fridge and you opened the door to adjust the thermostat, you'd notice no drop in temperature.

Also, the manual states that on 12v, there is no thermostatic control so don't bother adjusting it. The element runs continuously. Not sure about 120v.

I travel with the propane on 99% of the time.

Eric
Thanks Eric, makes sense. I'll keep that in mind.
Manual says that on 120v the "element" as you call it, is controlled by the knob.
The first time I tried running with it running on propane sometime during the ride the flame went out. I'll have to try that experiment again some time.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Eric, makes sense. I'll keep that in mind.
Manual says that on 120v the "element" as you call it, is controlled by the knob.
The first time I tried running with it running on propane sometime during the ride the flame went out. I'll have to try that experiment again some time.
Refrigerator Baffle

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Quote:
Oops. I must have missed class that day. Thanks.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Finally went out and looked at our door today. No cracks yet, however after looking closely at it, I can see how easily it can break

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oops. I must have missed class that day. Thanks.
markopolo started a "sticky" of Booster's mods on the first page of Tweaks, Mods & Projects. Maybe he can start one for Travato mods? Lots of members doing (or will be doing) interesting things to their 59G&Ks that would be nice to capture in one place.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I think it would be great to have some sort of sticky for each of the models and what folks have done to them. Would be a bunch of work for someone to do and maintain, but it would sure be useful for a lot of people.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #35
Platinum Member

I prefer compressor, My ARB fridge can run off my small chassis battery for a couple days or my house battery with solar indefinitely. It also gets extremely cold and quick. There are temp controls on the outside, and you can get a remote that ARB makes so you can monitor and control temp from the cab.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #36

Our refrigerator broke at the top where the screw goes into a piece of plastic. Half the plastic is gone and the door falls off when opened. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you repair it?
Reminders12 is offline   Reply With Quote