Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
rsd

Default '90 Roadtrek Versatile Dodge B250 -Roof rack options

I'm looking for gutter mount roof rack options for my 90' RT versatile. I'd like to be able to put my wife's paddle board and kayak on the roof.

I've seen gutter mount options for ladder racks but nothing tall enough for the high top. In Europe the Thule 420 with 421 or 422 extensions could work, but I can't find them in Canada or the US. Alumness makes nice custom racks, but they are too expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions.
rsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Couldn't you just order from Europe? Shipping could be a bit rough but you won't have to pay the V.A.T.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #3
rsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Couldn't you just order from Europe? Shipping could be a bit rough but you won't have to pay the V.A.T.
Thanks for the reply. Online the best I could find was Halfords UK. They seem to sell these in store only. I have friends that could help. That might be my only option I guess.
rsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Silver Member

vantech is what you're looking for.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Etzu hit a home run. Vantech is your answer.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd View Post
I'm looking for gutter mount roof rack options for my 90' RT versatile. I'd like to be able to put my wife's paddle board and kayak on the roof.

I've seen gutter mount options for ladder racks but nothing tall enough for the high top. In Europe the Thule 420 with 421 or 422 extensions could work, but I can't find them in Canada or the US. Alumness makes nice custom racks, but they are too expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Just a side note. Aluminess will refuse to install their roof rack onto a Roadtrek. Something about having to cut through the finished interior as well as not knowing how strong the attachment of the roof cap is. Said too much liability. Trust me, I know. I begged them to put a roof rack on my 2007 190P.

I ended up installing a rack myself using side plates from Thule, and towers from Yakima with Yakima cross bars. I did not want to install the roof rails on the top of the roof. I was worried about eventual leaking. I opted for the side plates with a heavy dose of silicone to prevent leaking. The rack is very sturdy and currently holds a large cargo carrier that has a lot of stuff in it. Our Roadtrek is a 4x4 which we use on bumpy roads frequently. The rack has stayed solid with some crazy swaying back and forth (of the van) sometimes.

I too started down the road of looking for the gutter mount towers. It ended up in frustration. I even contacted Thule directly for help. I am glad I decided to go the way I did. It has worked out well. It was terrifying to drill the first hole carefully into the side of the fiberglass cap but I got over it quickly. As far as taking kayaks and paddle boards, take a look at my thread in the General Discussion section about my vertical kayak carrier. I don’t know how long your kayak and PB is but maybe it can work for you too.

Jerry
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Silver Member

Got any pics of your setup?
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzu View Post
Got any pics of your setup?
Here are a few. You will have to zoom in a little to get a look at the rack assembly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GPa3JPe
Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #9

Default front end

MrMyagi, where did you get the front bumper/motorcycle carrier?
Rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
Bronze Member

The front bumper is an Aluminess bumper with optional 2" receiver. The carrier is an aluminum Black Widow bought from Discount Ramps. Can be found at the link below. We have stopped carrying the motorcycle up front for the time being. It was blocking too much of the airflow to the radiator. When I install an auxiliary electric fan, then I will carry it up front again when necessary. Be aware of the extra weight up front stressing the front end components. Our van is very heavy duty with the Quigley conversion but it still is noticeable. The motorcycle carrier has worked very well for us. We do use stabilizing straps on each end of the carrier to keep it from rocking back and forth. I don't think any hitch clamp will do a good job of keeping the carrier from rocking, especially if you venture off the pavement.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorc...ier/p/AMC-400/
Old 10-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #11

Hey, what is the bike rack on the back that swings out of the way?
wmnenwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I don't have one yet, but the one that I keep seeing is the
RockyMounts Backstage Swing-Away Platform Hitch Rack. Not cheap, but it looks like it's well-built.