Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Added 7" monitor

I bought a 7" TFT LCD 800x480 screen resolution monitor that I found on Amazon for $36. The plan is to use it with a backup camera. Actually, the plan was to use it with an existing camera on my van but it quit working so I ordered a new camera.

I bought this one because the mount could rotate to a vertical position and it has power switch to turn it on or off.

monitor installed.JPG

You can see the other backup monitor with working camera to the left of the new monitor. Big difference in the size! I'll keep the old, still working setup as a spare. I can remove the new monitor from the mount if needed.

booted android.JPG

As a test, I used it as a display for an Android box. It's very visible as a backup camera monitor from the driver's seat - higher would be bit better for peripheral vision though. I didn't lose much valuable console space with the installation.

The new monitor has two video inputs and a remote control.

Of course all this got me thinking that a double din touch screen unit in place of the radio would have been better ............. maybe that will become a future project.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A photo from the drivers position:

from drivers seat.JPG
Old 09-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A cool project would be a multi-camera setup. I've seen kits for them. There is also a system out there that takes those images and creates a 3-d view. Imagine that is a big money proprietary thing.

On one of my cars, I installed the Pioneer NEX 8000 system. It has camera input, navigation, does apps and a bunch of stuff. It' a really good unit and has a decent processor in it so the Garmin software is snappy. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I went with the Double Din Pioneer AVIC5100. I have now two backup cameras, GPS, NAV, Sat Radio, Bluetooth plus fancy stuff for iPhones and Android phones. The stereo was such an improvement over the Ford radio, that the OEM speakers sound great. I like it because it didn't add any clutter. Only thing I wish is that the two camera inputs could share the screen. One camera with LEDs shows the hitch area and is activated while in reverse and the other shows basically a wide angle view behind the RV view.

Two bad they don't make these in dash stereo units with 4 inputs. It would be something to able to look down the side of the RV.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Two bad they don't make these in dash stereo units with 4 inputs. It would be something to able to look down the side of the RV.
You can find all kinds of multi-camera systems on Alibaba.com, including the ones that fuse four cameras into a bird's-eye view. Not terribly expensive. Search for "Bird View Camera". The output of these systems are simply a standard video signal, so you can feed it into your backup camera input. I have been shopping for one of those, but so far haven't found one at the right price that will work with a full-length sprinter. Many are limited to 6 meters vehicle length.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Weivision-Degr...rd+view+camera
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes, exactly. There are a number of Asian manufacturers that you can find on Alibaba at around that price. They all appear to be pretty much the same. This is the cheapest I have seen on Amazon. You can pay a LOT more for the same thing from American resellers.

Note that these devices also work as super-dash-cams. Tired of getting unfair traffic tickets, which is one reason I am considering installing one. Looks like a fun project.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes, exactly. There are a number of Asian manufacturers that you can find on Alibaba at around that price. They all appear to be pretty much the same. This is the cheapest I have seen on Amazon. You can pay a LOT more for the same thing from American resellers.

Note that these devices also work as super-dash-cams. Tired of getting unfair traffic tickets, which is one reason I am considering installing one. Looks like a fun project.
If you search around you can already build a similar system for around half of that.
As I will already have a built-in backup camera in my Ford transit, I will place the rear camera high up for a better (permanent) view backwards; the front camera inside high up on the windshield as a dashcam, plus two side cameras. The recorder placed under the console and a simple display above.

recorder

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion View Post
If you search around you can already build a similar system for around half of that.
Not exactly. You can certainly do a 4-camera DVR (such as the one you linked to) for that price. But what the "bird cams" do is fuse the four images together into a single synthesized top-down view of the area around the vehicle. This is a big difference. Here's an example:

I have never found one of these units for much less than the linked item. One can argue whether they are worth the money, but they sure are cool.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Not exactly. You can certainly do a 4-camera DVR (such as the one you linked to) for that price. But what the "bird cams" do is fuse the four images together into a single synthesized top-down view of the area around the vehicle. This is a big difference. Here's an example:

I have never found one of these units for much less than the linked item. One can argue whether they are worth the money, but they sure are cool.
You're right. I already excluded these surround systems as being too distracting while driving. I would primarily a system like this for security, when parked and the front camera as dashcam.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion View Post
You're right. I already excluded these surround systems as being too distracting while driving.
I see the value of the "bird view" feature primarily as a parking aid. For that purpose, I think there may be real value.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Advanced RV is offering a surround view system. It works cool but I see it mainly as a parking aid. They started adding them last spring shortly after we got our ARV. Had they been available I still don't know if I would have opted for one. I skipped on the parking assist option Mercedes Benz offers.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I got a small - maybe 1.5" sq - camera from Amazon to put on the rear of the van. It has a chromed metallic housing but I think it might be available in black.

small camera.JPG

I figured the mounting of it would be allow for easy passing through the wires.

The small size could make it suitable for side mounting also.

BUT........ mounting the camera vertically (bolt horizontal) results in an upside down image

The new monitor allows me to rotate the image and it remembers the setting even after a power cycle but the parking guide lines end up on the top of the screen.

I tried taking the camera apart to rotate it internally but that looks difficult with the very thin wiring inside and silicone blobs in there etc.

I might use it and just ignore the parking guide lines or I might put it on another vehicle where it can be mounted with the bolt facing up. If I didn't have the cargo box on the rear then the plastic license plate insert on the van might make a good mounting position for this type of camera. That would be offset of center though.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I got a small - maybe 1.5" sq - camera from Amazon to put on the rear of the van. It has a chromed metallic housing but I think it might be available in black.

Attachment 2839

I figured the mounting of it would be allow for easy passing through the wires.

The small size could make it suitable for side mounting also.

BUT........ mounting the camera vertically (bolt horizontal) results in an upside down image

The new monitor allows me to rotate the image and it remembers the setting even after a power cycle but the parking guide lines end up on the top of the screen.

I tried taking the camera apart to rotate it internally but that looks difficult with the very thin wiring inside and silicone blobs in there etc.

I might use it and just ignore the parking guide lines or I might put it on another vehicle where it can be mounted with the bolt facing up. If I didn't have the cargo box on the rear then the plastic license plate insert on the van might make a good mounting position for this type of camera. That would be offset of center though.
These DO come in black and white too. And some cameras come with a way to disable these grid lines. For side mounts you probably would need cameras that have more horizontal & vertical movement.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 12-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I ended up making a mount for the camera so I could oriented it correctly to be able to use the guide markings. The 7" monitor displays a pretty good image and I don't lose much space on the console.

new 7 inch monitor.JPG