Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Added Solar

I installed a 155 watt monocrystaline solar panel and a cheap 20 amp controller. I will add a mppt controller at a later date. I noticed the panel was not charging but realized that the controller has an automatic shutoff if the batteries are full so I turned on a couple of fans and my freezer. It started charging right away. I live in the Inland Empire in SoCal so although I don't like to do it that way,I did the install at night. I took it real slow so everything works fine. Started about 10:30 and finished at 1:30
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Added Solar

155 watts You might find you have power to spare so the better controller might not even be needed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Added Solar

I bought the 155 watts because I knew I will not actually get that much power.I flush mounted the panel with only 1/2" corrugated channels underneath thereby losing some power due to heat.I also plan on being in the shade as much as possible so I will not really get 155 watts.I had to get solar due to my new Dometic cf 18 fridge/freezer that will only run 17 hours without the batteries being charged.The fridge is always set to freeze (I gots to have my ice) so it runs at about 3 amps per hour.That only leaves 8 amps for charging and fans,lights and such at full sun.Really we are probably only going to get 5 amps per daylight hour and less in shaded conditions.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote