Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Any suggestions for Dash mat materials

Wife's going to fab a dash mat for the Promaster. Plan on using neoprene since it insulates and does some sound mitigation, unless there's something better. The top layer needs to be non-reflective and a lighter color since we do allot of desert travel and having a black dash looks nice, but adds heat while driving.
Anything materials out there that will not reflect back onto the windshield thats a lighter color and will stand up to the sun for a while?.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'd use the black, anything else will reflect on your windscreen and may obscure view down the road, strain the eyes.

i live in the desert

2˘ mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

mojoman, I agree with Mike. Lighter colors as a 'permanent' solution are probably not a satisfactory solution. I do use a solution, just not often.

If the dash sits in the sun, it gets hot. This can be a problem, Especially if the rest of the B is hot, driver hot........... I try to not let this happen prior to using the B. If that happens, I do not let the sun Hit the driver while driving using another solution. Then I'll use a couple of white t-shirts that need washing on top of the dash. This keeps the dash top from radiating heat, and the dash top starts cooling off.

I have no problems from heat, very cool in my B.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'll try different materials and see how much reflection I get. Looking at gray suede.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We tried a lot of colors and materials in our Chevy, and the only thing we found that didn't reflect much was the sued black. Everything else was much worse, including the normal black pads. Sucks, yes, but you can always put a white sheet over it, or a windshield cover, when you aren't driving. We aren't often in the very hot, so the black hasn't been a cooling issue at all.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote