Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Any winter projects planned?

I have some "leftover" projects that I might tackle this winter. Those are installing the new alternator and front wheel bearings. Neither project is urgent so I may not even get to them. I will take care of some regular maintenance items.

There is one new project that I'd like to tackle and that is to remove the over kitchen countertop upper cupboard and trim it lessen the distance it sticks out. Then reinstall it. The problem with it is that it's easy to hit your head on it when using the sink. Another option would be to leave the depth as is and cut out a section above the sink but that would mean getting new cupboard doors. I think I'll just remove it, trim the back and reinstall it. A few inches should be a big improvement.

All this talk about batteries has me thinking too. I have one chassis battery in the coach and one under the hood. There is space (pretty sure) on the frame rail just aft of where the drivers seat it. I could relocate the 2nd chassis battery to underneath the vehicle and use the vacated space in the van for an additional AGM house battery.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Any winter projects planned?

I have a 97 roadtrek 190, and am planning to build some pull out shelves, maybe on sliders, Im getting tired of being down on my knees, also would like to build some type of a spice rack, my dear wife has been asking since our first trip, so I am on a mission to keep her happy, and finally install a tv with dvd set up, I like to wind down with a show after a long day, well, that will keep me busy,,, take care, and Merry Christmas to everyone,,,,,,,,,,,, Josef,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That list will keep you busy!

Here are two links that might give you some ideas for the sliding shelves or drawers:

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2601

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2894
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We just got our 1999 American Cruiser in late October and knew it needed both camper and house work. We just picked it up from the RV shop and still need to have the generator serviced. We've had a class C, pop-ups and trailers before but never a B. We will do a few more minor repairs, a deep cleaning, load it up, and take it camping during our 2 week holiday hiatus if all goes well.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We will be picking up our new B in Willoughby, OH in January and drive it home 800 miles. We will most likely drive there in a one way rental car so we can haul enough to stock the B for the trip home. So, our first trip will be winter dry camping.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Platinum Member

winter...?

The new to us PW is getting some short hops and multinight stays.
There are a couple of CA beach sites we like so will probably head over there 1st Jan.

It's been a great experience.

so no big projects planned- I do take note of tips from other members.

For those looking at tv's, I replaced the SD 2006 samsung with a 22" samsung at costco- $140.

It runs on 12 volt, essentially wired right into the audio system. wired right into the antenna ( was able to get rid of the HDTV digital/analog decoder thingy)

the mount had to be offset to the left to allow the door it is mounted on to swing all the way. I used 3M duolock and a couple of fabricated steel brackets to mount it

and provides a great picture ( channel scan is easy once parked and aimed)

No DVD as the tv has a built in media player function- I load movies & tv shows onto a usb thumbdrive and plug into the TV.

so easy

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We have been whittling away at the list. Adding cooling fan and Seelevel gauges, fluid changes, new front carpet are done. Working on an upgrade to automate the charging system.

The big one, I hope to get to, is to build a true dual dump system, that will not require removing plugs, adding fittings, adding hoses, etc on the road if the pump fails. I also needs to be durable enough to just sit most of the time without sticking and becoming unusable. Whatever hose the emergency dump uses would ideally be stored within the system so it is not using up space.

Any suggestions of how and what might help or hurt would be appreciated.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

A 4" I.D. plastic plumbing pipe about 2 ft. long with a screw off cap that you could stick up under your frame somewhere you can reach would be ideal for keeping a slinky if only for emergencies. Putting one on a back bumper like you see a lot of DIYers do is not great idea and you don't want it taking up storage space.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There are a few dual dump ideas here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...t=2380&p=12913
one from the phrannie site
Ron's emergency dump setup
Phoenix Cruiser dual dump
Old 12-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
There are a few dual dump ideas here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...t=2380&p=12913
one from the phrannie site
Ron's emergency dump setup
Phoenix Cruiser dual dump
I do remember that discussion, but not the Pheonix Cruiser vertical, probably because there is no room anyway. There was someone on one of the boards that had more than one pump failure that was due to seal leakage between the pump housing and motor. I wonder if that is why the put it vertical. I would think it would leave a lot of "stuff" in the piping, though.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Lou
Platinum Member

We are thinking of building some sort of cubby hole system in the kitchen cupboard with dishes.
My husband can't stand any clinking noises as we drive and we are tired of wrapping and rewrapping every cup and mug with that no slip liner.
The plates and bowls are fine but the glasses and mugs are a problem.
I think it would work if the cubbies were slanted slightly downhill towards the back of the cupboard and cups were on their sides. We are trying to work out exactly how it should be designed. Besides not rewrapping all of the time, it would also be nice to clearly see what you want and be able to get it quickly, when things are wrapped I can't always find what I want. I think it might use the space better too because the cubbies could go right to the top of the cupboard, you would be able to see each item and you could take it out without rearranging anything.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

A quick & easy way to create a cubby hole type of system to prevent glassware and stemware from clinking would be to use the boxes they were shipped in. You could remove the box tops and even cover the cardboard with fabric to make it look more permanent.

Or, you might find a 4-pack or 6-pack "caddy" in a beer or wine store. A wine bottle width caddy would be more versatile.

This is a beer eight-pack carrier that was a nearby beer store. It's there to let you make a selection of individual specialty beers. It has logos on it but could be covered in fabric to hide the logos.

One problem could be the height of the cardboard between the glasses. If it is too low then you sill get the clinking sound.

We all have our preferences; glass, plastic, stainless steel, acrylic & silicone drink containers.

Oops edit: eight pack carrier not six
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caddy.JPG (111.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Never seen one of them before, It might be useful for those that carry extra motor oil or Seafoam, too.

In the drawers and cupboards, we tend to use all the extra paper towels, toilet paper, etc, rolls to pad things from making to much noise. It makes it quieter and gives allows us to have more of the TP and towels with us.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #14

Hi Folks,

As soon as I return from Florida and find my RV under the snow, (We live very just south of Boston.) I have a few projects to finish.

1. Put on the water bypass for the water heater.
2. Put on the device to put non freeze solution in the system in the fall.
3. Check out the house battery (It may be shot.) and maybe go with a dual 12 volt system.

That's about all at this time.

Heapie
Heapie is offline   Reply With Quote