Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Anyone know how to watch dash cam live on RV rear TV

Wife rides on rear couch, while I'm driving and she can't really see where we are. Is there a way to hook up rear TV so she can watch dash camera feed? Has anyone actually done this? Thanks!
Wavefanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have not exactly done it with a dash cam, but at some point I hope to develop a video security system with multiple cameras that will feed to a monitor and a DVR, the same way a fixed facility security system would do. One of them will be a front-facing cam.

The barrier has been lack of high-definition components for the systems. The trucking industry has been working on solutions, but they have developed mostly in-motion options, whereas I want to include passive monitoring. Nothing off the shelf will supply that kind of functionality yet, according to my research.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefanz View Post
Wife rides on rear couch, while I'm driving and she can't really see where we are. Is there a way to hook up rear TV so she can watch dash camera feed? Has anyone actually done this? Thanks!
Should be doable with Android plus casting or app. Examples:

1. Use phone as dashcam & cast to rear smart TV or cast to Android box attached to TV.

2. Use dash cam that also has phone app. Load the app on larger tablet, smart TV or Android box attached to TV.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Get yourself a 360 degree "bird view" camera system.
(totally random example)
They have NTSC outputs, so you can just run an AV cable to the TV and plug it in to an AUX input (if you have a new TV without a yellow AUX VIDEO input, you can get a video to HDMI converter cheaply).

If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing four cameras, you can just put in the front one.

Bonuses of this approach:
1) You can watch all around the vehicle, not just forward.
2) These devices have SD slots and can be set to continuously record, so they serve as a dash cam.

Of course, many dash cams have some kind of video out, so you don't have to get so elaborate. But, running a wire will give you a much less kludgy setup than anything involving an app. If you don't want to even do that, get a wireless backup camera and use it backwards.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

I was searching for the answer to the same question. Now, I'm so grateful I registered on this forum! Thanks, guys)
Jinocraf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Those are so really great ideas

Those are so really great ideas
thanks
m
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I run a four-camera security system on my RV. One forward facing cam, one looking out at my blind spot, one rear facing, and one looking out the window at the RV door entrance. It's a standard unit made for home security, except I swapped out the HDD for a SSD. The 1TB drive records about 13 days of video.

So far, I've recorded two traffic accidents, one drug deal, and a lot of great scenery that's surprisingly fun to watch later. The HDMI output goes to my TV in back, and the VGA output goes to a little monitor on the dash.

Only one problem, it doesn't invert left and right on the rear facing camera, so that can be a bit confusing backing up. Best to keep a separate backup camera for that.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Lots of good ideas there guys.
We use a Nanny Cam (V380 Pro) in peer-to-peer WiFi Mode.
Powered with 5V USB charger plug.
Ip Cam apps (Android version and Windows version.)
NannyCamRv.jpg

View on phone, tablet, desktop or laptop.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I installed a switch on my dash that allows me to turn my backup camera on while driving. This way I can watch any loads that I am towing (very narrow jet ski trailer for example) or check to see if my bikes are still on the rack. To put it in layman's terms: get a switch with 3 terminals that is NOT center off. Center terminal goes to +12 wire on your camera. Top or bottom terminal goes to +12 volt backup light circuit and the other goes to a +12 volt circuit from the ignition side. My backup camera has AV (RCA style) outputs and could feed directly into my TV which has AV inputs.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash cam, watch live on tv