Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Automatic levelling

We have a 2016 Pleasure Way Ascent on the Sprinter chassis. Up to now we have used the levelling blocks that most people use, We however found this product that uses a hydraulic system to "automatically" level the van:

Product is from E&P in USA.

The levelling blocks are OK, but on a long trip with many nights of moving, it would be great to have a faster and easier way of levelling. Has anyone thought of using levelling "feet" similar to what is on a tent trailer that wind down at each corner? Much cheaper and simpler that the hydraulic version from E&P, but could it work? Any other ideas for fast and easy levelling?

We live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks,
Ian
ianevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
The levelling blocks are OK, but on a long trip with many nights of moving, it would be great to have a faster and easier way of levelling. Has anyone thought of using levelling "feet" similar to what is on a tent trailer that wind down at each corner? Much cheaper and simpler that the hydraulic version from E&P, but could it work? Any other ideas for fast and easy levelling?

Thanks,
Ian
I have a 2020 Ford Transit and am looking for a similar solution. I am also in Ontario Canada.
oldcabinetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcabinetguy View Post
I have a 2020 Ford Transit and am looking for a similar solution. I am also in Ontario Canada.
X2 in Georgia.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Gold Member

What does this leveling system cost approximately ???? Did you do anything else to your suspension? I am not sure where Advanced RV is in the US. I am adding the new Sumo bumps this coming year, and considering a different shock. I have a 2020 Travato 59K. It seemed a little bit bumpy on our last trip from So Florida to Jacksonville FL. The roads are not in great condition as it goes, but we love the RV. Any one else that has recommendations appreciate. I did like the idea of lifting the front or back for a tire replacement instead of the jack. I added a spare tire to the back ladder. Thx and Happy New Year everyone. L
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianevans View Post
We have a 2016 Pleasure Way Ascent on the Sprinter chassis. Up to now we have used the levelling blocks that most people use, We however found this product that uses a hydraulic system to "automatically" level the van:

Thanks,
Ian
Great video and thank you.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I think E&P in USA. site says 8.5k
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I saw someone did a manual system on Freedom Van build that I filed away as a possible option we could do. These jacks fit into some sort of connection point that are mounted on all 4 corners of the van by the wheels and the owner I believe only carries 2 jacks for manual levelling. Sort of like the old European car jack method on a VW Beetle for us oldies.

This combined with a Levelmate Pro is the frugal man’s levelling system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZMZPR8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E2D5CF22-B781-4A6D-96D6-0236929DC010.jpeg (23.7 KB, 42 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

fails my cost benefit analysis

more weight, more stuff to fiddle with, more to break

leveling blocks have worked fine for us

My '72 Eldo has F/R pneumatic self leveling- it's a fairly simple system using pressure in air shocks and a valving system with a range of 0~1.75". Air is supplied when motor is running.

I could see building something like that with an airbag system- see Citroen which used 4 wheel indepedent air bags

But for now, fine with blocks
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #9
Bronze Member

How much weight do they add to the RV?

Quote:

Thanks,
Ian
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

The ARV website states: 1) price is $8,688 (minimum), 2) weight is 150 pounds, 3) due to a backlog of custom builds and current-owner upgrades they “cannot support non-ARV owners’ needs this travel season.”
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Ian
The "leveling feet" on a pop-up trailer are not designed to level the trailer. They are stabilizers that are deployed after the trailer is leveled with blocks or wheel lifts and the tongue jack.

I have a HWH system on my Class C. It is hydraulic. Their website lists a version for a Sprinter Based Class B.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

For a Class B, that seems like a solution looking for a problem... I can deploy our orange lego blocks in less time than it took him to level with the hydraulics, and we've found that usually we don't even need them.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Well, never seen this used but it is out there
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Stabi..._id=2258025011
I've wondered a couple of time about a system like this . But, maybe it would be as time communing/labor intensive ???
take care
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Those would be different from levelers. Those in your link are for stabilizing the van, To keep it from rocking when moving around inside. They are common on travel trailers.

Levelers, on the other hand, are designed to lift the various corners of the RV in order to level it. They are common on larger Class C and Class A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Well, never seen this used but it is out there
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Stabi..._id=2258025011
I've wondered a couple of time about a system like this . But, maybe it would be as time communing/labor intensive ???
take care
Michael
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #15

E&P is in England and Netherlands. Our remote died for our 2020 Mercedes interstate and it has been a nightmare trying to get repaired. It was a $5000 option when we bought the van. I wouldn’t do it again after trying to get it fixed so far
Sheriff Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

ARV pretty much installs them on all their Class Bs. I was thinking about it but I got caught up in eliminating weight in my 2500 144 build and decided that was one item to eliminate and I could put on after market. ARV was focused on delivering a legal weight van but I could opt to have it put on after since I don't think I could possibly load the van to its 9,050 lb. rating. However, after 16,500 miles in a year's driving and never having to use my lego blocks, I've decided levelers are not needed for the price you would have to pay. There is an advantage to a short wheel base van. It is easier to find a sweet spot of level you can put up with. My 30" wide bunk bed design with a wall at the foot of the bed and walls on both sides makes it easier to sleep and brace yourself if necessary. I call it the fetal position knee or butt brace. Though I haven't needed that much.

The other advantage of levelers is it makes the van more stable in strong buffeting winds when parked or in moving around in the van. That was not a priority desire with me.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Davydd;140078] ... However, after 16,500 miles in a year's driving and never having to use my lego blocks, I've decided levelers are not needed for the price you would have to pay. There is an advantage to a short wheel base van. It is easier to find a sweet spot of level you can put up with. ...

We do bring the leveller blocks; however, after 10 years with our RT 190 Chevy Express, I can count on one hand how many times we have used them. They were never used on our 86 day Ontario - Alaska- Ontario trip.

Our Norcold 120v AC / 12/24v DC fridge does not care that it is not level. We consider the van to be level when there is no risk of falling out of bed ... lol.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:50 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Agreed. We carry leveling blocks but have only used them a handful of times. It isn't too hard to get relatively close to level by just picking the orientation and exact parking location you settle on. Living with the camper a bit off-level isn't that big of a deal either - especially if you are on the move and will have another shot at getting it better the next night. If we were staying somewhere for weeks without moving it would be a different story, but that isn't how we use our camper.

I have followed the FitRV for many years and greatly appreciate their customization efforts, but this particularly mod seemed like an absurdly expensive treatment for Jame's OCD rather than a practical improvement in the experience.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I have a new to me 02 Roadtrek 200 and no matter where I park it seems like the front is always lower! Center isle is shower pan and inevitably end up with a pool of water in the front of the pan away from the drain.

So have been mulling things over and looking for something, no rush have other things to do. Neighbor bought a bellows type air jack for car I had blown these of as being unstable. They are not they have a center column that extends and are quite sturdy. Hummm mounted on the front frame, upside down with a bit of creative air lines might just work?
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:40 PM   #20
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Sensfan;140085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Our Norcold 120v AC / 12/24v DC fridge does not care that it is not level. We consider the van to be level when there is no risk of falling out of bed ... lol.
Amen.

Our DIY Promaster is slightly higher in the rear. So our leveling? Pull-in 'forward' if the site is uphill - - if downhill, back-in. ‘Real’ leveling hasn’t seemed to be necessary. We think BillsPaseo may have characterized this issue correctly: “a solution looking for a problem”.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote