Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Big alternator test

Our 250 amp alternator from DC Power Engineering finally showed up and I put it in today. Let the van warm up and get to final idle speed of 545rpm and ran a test of the microwave with full batteries and the alternator connected. At full power (750 watt micro) it held 13.7 volts and was actually putting 5 amps INTO the batteries. Perfect, as now we can run the micro off the van and not drain the batteries at all.

The alternator came with a 2.2" diameter pulley, where the factory one is 2.4", so it does spin a touch faster, but very little. The wiring was the same, except they use a pigtail connector off their alternator, so the they can get an extra + wire to it. The original wiring plugs into the pigtail. Had to drill out the original ring terminal from 1/4" to 5/16" due to the bigger stud on the new alternator. Total time less than 1/2 hour.

The new alternator is running a bit high on voltage, which was kind of expected. It was at 14.5/14.6 hot. DC Power had told me they would send a lower rated regulator for me to put in if was too high, so I probably will call them and get one. The lower voltage will be better for the starter battery, and it looks like we will rarely need to do much charging off the engine, except for inverter runs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare1.jpg (60.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg compare2.jpg (62.1 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg compare3.jpg (58.9 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg compare4.jpg (57.8 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg pigtail.jpg (61.4 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg inplace.jpg (64.5 KB, 346 views)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Big alternator test

That's great news Jim. Can you post the part number, cost, and contact info for this alternator please? Do you think it will fit on my 4.8-liter Chevy V-8 too?

Thanks, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The part number we got was 8237-250-XP. Their website only shows Express vans up to 2008, which may be the last year for internal regulators on the alternators in vans. Most of the other stuff switched earlier, I think. They do list later for other trucks like pickups, so they may just not be updated. When I talked to them, they said their SPX models worked well with the computer driven voltage regulation, so they probably have something that will fit. Ours was pretty spendy at $550, but it does look to be very well put together.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Looks good You have a very nice power / power management setup in your van. You really only need your generator for air conditioning now.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote