Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Carado (Hyner) Axion Flying Drawers - Bottom Drawer

One recurring problem I had with the drawers on my Axion were that the would fly open on curves when they were heavily loaded. Especially the bottom drawer wich was deep and used to carry the heavy cables, tools, and other camping stuff.

See first pic with the track actually broken on the bottom drawer. To Hymer's credit, my local dealer actually fixed this for me under warranty. However, on later trips I could tell it would happen again...

My tweak was to remove the face of the drawer (4 screws) and remont it with a piano hinge along the bottom. This actually opens up a lot of unused space in this area and creates a barrier to keep things from sliding out to the shower pan.

I just used two magnetic drawer stops ($1 each at Home Depot) to hold the door closed. Since nothing slides against it, it has stayed shut with the while fully loaded on very windy roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drawer problem.jpg (88.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg drawer minus face.jpg (174.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg hinge install.jpg (141.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg hinge.jpg (63.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg bottom drawer with hinge.jpg (119.8 KB, 26 views)
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Bronze Member

What is the panel above the sink on the side? I have not seen that in other new Axions. Is it a charge controller, because I thought they were in another location?

https://cdn1.rvtrader.com/v1/media/5...768&quality=70
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you are talking about the flip up table that is mounted on the side of the fridge. I like this table because it sets up almost instantly and is in a good location for playing around with my laptop or writing anything on paper from the couch. Not sure why they are not putting these on all of the rigs, but it was available as a standard feature for a while.

I just finished another mod where I installed dual USB ports and a 12V outlet next to the 110V outlet above this table. This way I can leave my electronics on the stove/prep area at night for charging. The 12V plugs on the seat (and then under the bed) are in a bad location for night time use...

I've got a long list of mods for this van. Will try to get posting soon..
Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post

I just finished another mod where I installed dual USB ports and a 12V outlet next to the 110V outlet above this table. This way I can leave my electronics on the stove/prep area at night for charging. The 12V plugs on the seat (and then under the bed) are in a bad location for night time use...

I've got a long list of mods for this van. Will try to get posting soon..
KR, when you have time, can you please share a pic of the plug mod? Thanks...Bob
Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
KR, when you have time, can you please share a pic of the plug mod? Thanks...Bob
Here is a quick pic or two. It started when I installed a beer bottle opener on the side of the fridge. I had to pull the fridge out (easy 4 screws, two on the side and two on the bottom front) and realized that there was plenty of room for the USB/12V plugs in there.

Sorry I didn't take photos of the process. The siding table extender comes off very easy (just release the hold tab on the slider underneath and it pulls out). From there you can drill to 1 1/8" holes with a normal wood boring bit. Yes, I should have used a level when I did this, but they are hard to see anyway... Then I tapped the wires going to the stove ignitor to make the connection to the ports.

They are covered up in the photo, but one is a dual USB with a 2.1A and second 1.0A port. The other is a normal 12V socket. Exactly like the ones under the seat that come standard on the Axion. This setup was bought off Amazon a while ago for my motorcycle and I never got around to installing it, I think it was less than $10. It ships with the same rectangular mounting face you see on the under the seat ports; I took out the round parts because it was easier to cut the round holes than a rectangular hole. I also boosted the fuse on the stove ignitor from 5A to 10A. The wire is at least 16 gauge, if not 14 gauge. Kind of a 'hillbilly' approach; but it was quick and easy and I like this placement.

Total job, about 1.5 hours - including the beer opener install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new plugs2.jpg (85.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg new plugs.jpg (116.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg beer opener.jpg (79.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is a quick pic or two. It started when I installed a beer bottle opener on the side of the fridge. I had to pull the fridge out (easy 4 screws, two on the side and two on the bottom front) and realized that there was plenty of room for the USB/12V plugs in there.

Sorry I didn't take photos of the process. The siding table extender comes off very easy (just release the hold tab on the slider underneath and it pulls out). From there you can drill to 1 1/8" holes with a normal wood boring bit. Yes, I should have used a level when I did this, but they are hard to see anyway... Then I tapped the wires going to the stove ignitor to make the connection to the ports.

They are covered up in the photo, but one is a dual USB with a 2.1A and second 1.0A port. The other is a normal 12V socket. Exactly like the ones under the seat that come standard on the Axion. This setup was bought off Amazon a while ago for my motorcycle and I never got around to installing it, I think it was less than $10. It ships with the same rectangular mounting face you see on the under the seat ports; I took out the round parts because it was easier to cut the round holes than a rectangular hole. I also boosted the fuse on the stove ignitor from 5A to 10A. The wire is at least 16 gauge, if not 14 gauge. Kind of a 'hillbilly' approach; but it was quick and easy and I like this placement.

Total job, about 1.5 hours - including the beer opener install.
Ha ha! Thank you KR! I greatly appreciated it! You did a great job and made it look easy.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
One recurring problem I had with the drawers on my Axion were that the would fly open on curves when they were heavily loaded. Especially the bottom drawer wich was deep and used to carry the heavy cables, tools, and other camping stuff.

See first pic with the track actually broken on the bottom drawer. To Hymer's credit, my local dealer actually fixed this for me under warranty. However, on later trips I could tell it would happen again...

My tweak was to remove the face of the drawer (4 screws) and remont it with a piano hinge along the bottom. This actually opens up a lot of unused space in this area and creates a barrier to keep things from sliding out to the shower pan.

I just used two magnetic drawer stops ($1 each at Home Depot) to hold the door closed. Since nothing slides against it, it has stayed shut with the while fully loaded on very windy roads.
OMG!!! You are THE MAN!!! I have the same problem with my 2017 Axion and solved it by putting 1 screw in back (rear door side) wall and 1 screw on lower right of drawer face then a paracord loop but I like your idea better, THANKS!!!
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote