Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I figured running the fan would just push the mess inward against the expansion coils. If your way works as good as you say, it's pretty quick and easy.

The plastic housing at the bottom of my windshield is not snug to the glass and also catches leaves, but I did not know they were going into the fan from there.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I figured running the fan would just push the mess inward against the expansion coils. If your way works as good as you say, it's pretty quick and easy.

The plastic housing at the bottom of my windshield is not snug to the glass and also catches leaves, but I did not know they were going into the fan from there.

It all depends on where the fan is in the system, pushing or pulling, it doesn't work as it did for Pete for all brands and models of vehicles.

His compressed air trick is a very good one and will work on nearly all vehicles if you use a vacuum to catch the debris the compressed air stirs up. I usually use 30-40 psi.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

That is possible the fan could push the debris into the evaporator, but that is what the fan has been doing all along. I did not notice anything getting hung up in the evaporator. In the future I will have a shopvac sucking at the resistor block opening while running the fan. I will also blow with the airgun to stir up the debris as it gets blown and sucked out.

Safelite is coming Saturday to hopefully address the gap issue. It is about 3/16-inch at the air inlet area. Other areas have no gap. So I assume the plastic housing has possibly warped some over its 14 year life.
Attached Images
File Type: png Windshield-Fresh Air Inlet Gap.png (329.8 KB, 2 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Safelite is coming Saturday to hopefully address the gap issue. It is about 3/16-inch at the air inlet area. Other areas have no gap. So I assume the plastic housing has possibly warped some over its 14 year life.
Safelite guy came driving a 2016 Express van. Mine is a 2006. He knew what the problem was right away. The plastic cowl does warp over time. Also there is a small foam seal attached to they cowl which shrinks and hardens over time. The 2016 was still pretty tight to the glass.

So did he fix it? Nope, said it was not a part of a windshield replacement. He happened to have some 1/4-inch round sticky foam rope seal he said is used on clamp in windows. He gave it to me and said that should work. I had considered caulking the gap but the rope seal should be better.

It turned into a bit of a job removing the wipers and cowling. Glad I did as there was a lot of leaves and other debris in there. The rope seal is sticky all the way around so it sticks to the cowl and the glass which should help it stay sealed. Since it is sticky, leaves and dirt could stick to it. So I dusted it with baby powder to take away the stickiness.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #25

awesome pics!! I had no idea that this could be a regular maintenance procedure that I will now under take. Thanks so much!

Astro driver 042
Astro driver 042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #26

A professional-grade alkaline solution for cleaning the evaporator coils will remove dirt and mold from inside the coils, the spray tube will reach narrow spaces inside the device, and the desktop brush will capture and hook dirt inside the device. You can also try to clean it with a spray gun under the press. If you do not have specialized equipment, you can contact https://sparklewash.com/. My friends advised this company when I needed to be professional in washing the car. After cleaning, the evaporator coil must be dried well and correctly installed in its original position.
ZitaluPi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #27
Platinum Member

A little off-topic but still related.
Air volume or lack of…

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ume-11927.html
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote