Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Clothes Drying Rack

This project might be of some use to B camper van owners who have a ladder at the back of the rig. I made it for a larger RV.

If you have wetsuits or beach towels etc., you need someplace to hang them and some sites don't let you attach anything to trees of fences or have a clothesline.

My wife suggested stacking the pickets this way when I was laying out different ways to use them. The cost of this was zero dollars to me as every single piece was something leftover from past projects. I used some SS threaded rod, L brackets, flat stock aluminum, c channel aluminum, PVC railing pickets, clear tubing, chrome look plastic trim, lock washers, nuts, lock nuts and wing nuts.

It provides about 23 feet of hanging space, folds flat for storage and takes up only 1 inch of space if placed at the bottom of a compartment or flat against the wall of a compartment. It seems strong enough for what I need and I can't imaging ever fully loading it. I used 10 pickets because that it what worked best with the spacing of the ladder rungs.

DIY Clothes Drying Rack 1.JPG

DIY Clothes Drying Rack 2.JPG

DIY Clothes Drying Rack 3.JPG

DIY Clothes Drying Rack 4.JPG
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
This project might be of some use to B camper van owners who have a ladder at the back of the rig. I made it for a larger RV.

If you have wetsuits or beach towels etc., you need someplace to hang them and some sites don't let you attach anything to trees of fences or have a clothesline.

My wife suggested stacking the pickets this way when I was laying out different ways to use them. The cost of this was zero dollars to me as every single piece was something leftover from past projects. I used some SS threaded rod, L brackets, flat stock aluminum, c channel aluminum, PVC railing pickets, clear tubing, chrome look plastic trim, lock washers, nuts, lock nuts and wing nuts.

It provides about 23 feet of hanging space, folds flat for storage and takes up only 1 inch of space if placed at the bottom of a compartment or flat against the wall of a compartment. It seems strong enough for what I need and I can't imaging ever fully loading it. I used 10 pickets because that it what worked best with the spacing of the ladder rungs.

Attachment 6411

Attachment 6412

Attachment 6413

Attachment 6414
If while driving, you leave the pickets extended with a sign above it saying "DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE" you'll be totally free of tailgaters.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Great construction, sir! Thanks for sharing. It's always been a problem for us, as in some places you are not allowed to hang towels and stuff elsewhere.
mike85ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks! I was going to purchase one on these: Products | The Smart Dryer but it the cost was ranging from $80 to $150 (Canadian $) depending on the model chosen and where purchased so I figure I'd try a DIY solution.

For anyone in Canada, I found that Home Hardware had the best price - $20 less than Amazon.

I can still climb up the ladder with my DIY unit installed. That's useful on a larger RV parked in one campsite for a while as I go up on the roof periodically and use a blower to clear the roof and slide topper of leaves and pine cones etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Certainly not as elegant or as much capacity as Marko's, but we also needed a way to dry clothes sometimes and towels regularly.

We did an inside setup so it would work in all weather, and be near fans to speed the drying.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...trek-2655.html

We still use it all the time when traveling, and it is one our most useful modifications, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote