I'll interrupt the sofa-bed build to report on my B
lay of the M
Actually I hope this is my bonehead play of the entire build.
I mentioned previously about hooking up quick disconnects to one battery to power the actuators.
The one thing missing in this setup was a fuse. "Why Bother", I thought. I'll always be close at hand and will see any problems in time to disconnect the battery.
That was a Bonehead Move.
Last night I was testing out where to position the second actuator. It will raise the Back Platform.
I had quickly fabricated a square bracket for the piston end.
What I didn't realize was that the square nature of the bracket stopped the piston from retracting completely if it was positioned at an angle. So during testing the piston goes to the closed position and stops. I thought it had hit it's internal limit switch and just shut off like normal. Wrong-O.
The square bracket had stopped it from closing but the current was still flowing. This is where the fuse would have blown.
When I go to move the actuator a few minutes later the motor has gotten warm. A soon as I feel it I realize what has happened and kill the power but it's too late. The motor is toast. Now I'm ticked off for two reasons. One is that I've probably just shot $119.99. But what bothers me even more at his point is that this actuator is the last thing I've got to get right before the major work on the sofa-bed is done. The actuator company is out in Washington state and a new actuator will take at least a week to get here. I could overnight it but I hate paying that much for shipping.
It was too late to do anything about the first problem but I thought I had a solution to the second problem. I have a 18" actuator I was going to use for a TV lift and the motors look to be the same. I contacted Firgelli Automations this AM and they conformed that the motors were the same. They also told me they don't carry spare parts. So no new motor. I'll have to buy an whole new actuator.
I guess it's time to add "Firgelli Automations Actuator Repairman" to my resume.
What follows is instructions for swapping out a motor. WARNING: Firgelli don't provide any instructions.
This is just what I can up with.
Remove the three screws form the base of the unit.
Remove the base plate.
You will see three gears. carefully remove the three gears. They will just slide off. Be mindful of the washers on the ends of the gears.
Notice the three little hold down washers that keep the wires in place. Carefully remove them.
There are three wire connections covered with shrink tube.
Connection 1 is limit switches to motor.
Connection 2 is outside power to motor.
Connection 3 is outside power to limit switches.
Note that the black wire coming from the motor goes to connection 1 and the red wire goes to connection 2.
If you are just replacing the motor you'd only have to undo connections 1 and 2. I was hoping against hope that maybe the fault was else where so I unhooked all the connections then used a voltmeter to look for shorts or opens. Also provided 12 volts to just the motor. It's the motor all right.
Once you carefully cut away the shrink tube from the wires you'll find them just twisted together.
That was a lucky break since I didn't have to worry about cutting the wires to get them apart. Everything is so tight there is no wire to spare.
Remove the two screws that hold down the motor.
Repeat all these steps on the 18" actuator and remove it's motor.
Mount the new motor and join the wires. Be sure to get the colored wire to the correct connection. Cover the joints with shrink tubing then use a heat gun on the tubing.
Here all the wires have been joined and shrink tubed. The three hold down washers are in place.
Put the three gears back into place and before closing it up apply power to see if it works. It did.
Be mindful of the gasket when closing it up.
OK, that's all done.
Now to correct the original mistake.
I stopped at Advance auto on the way home today and bought these. An inline ATC fuse holder and spare fuses.
Add the in-line fuse holder to my little battery power setup. Better late than never.
On the bright side I also picked up this nifty fuse tester with the spare fuses.
It allows you to test if the fuse is blown without having to remove it from it's holder. I'm sure this will come in handy.
I have no idea if I'll be able to fix this bad motor. Won't know until I give it a try but I'll worry about that some other time.
We now return to our regularly scheduled sofa-bed build already in progress.