Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 11:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Creating more clearance

After getting my Thor Rize lifted a bit to keep the generator from scraping the road all the time, the thing nearest to the ground is this:

Not totally sure what it is, some propane manifold thing, which will be ripped off by the next speed bump. To prevent that, I would like to raise it up a couple of inches.

It is attached via a wobbly metal bracket. Above the contraction there are about 3in of room (see arrow). the manifold is connected via flexible lines, so there shouldn't be a problem moving it around.

So my thought is to remove the bracket, cut it by about 2", drill the holes back where they were, and re-attach it, now at a safer position.

Whatchoo think? Is there any reason I should not do that? Like is there any reason why they have it stick out that much into dangerous space?
Old 05-06-2022, 01:20 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If you pull off that plastic cover there is probably the regulator and possibly a solenoid valve (if you have a remote propane on/off switch). I would think it would work to raise it up. You don't want to have that hit the road or curb or something and damage the regulator. You might also find that the actual parts inside are higher than the cover.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I would change this design.

Find a junction box which could accommodate all LPG inners like pressure regulator.

Insert appropriate rivnuts into four holes in the crossbeam and using long bolts with spacers attached the box to the crossbeam. If you know the diameter of these four visible holes you can pick appropriate size rivnuts and bolts, likely 5/16-18.

The box should be in full contact with the bottom of the floor. Here are potential junction boxes. https://www.amazon.com/s?
k=large+junction+box&ref=nb_sb_noss

If you would ever need to access the LPG regulator, just remove the junction box lid.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
If you pull off that plastic cover there is probably the regulator and possibly a solenoid valve (if you have a remote propane on/off switch). I would think it would work to raise it up. You don't want to have that hit the road or curb or something and damage the regulator. You might also find that the actual parts inside are higher than the cover.
Thank you for confirming! I'll take it apart and see how it looks inside. If I hit a bump with it, I think it will rip off everything, wherever the parts are located inside the bracket.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I would change this design.

Find a junction box which could accommodate all LPG inners like pressure regulator.

Insert appropriate rivnuts into four holes in the crossbeam and using long bolts with spacers attached the box to the crossbeam. If you know the diameter of these four visible holes you can pick appropriate size rivnuts and bolts, likely 5/16-18.

The box should be in full contact with the bottom of the floor. Here are potential junction boxes. https://www.amazon.com/s?
k=large+junction+box&ref=nb_sb_noss

If you would ever need to access the LPG regulator, just remove the junction box lid.
Thanks, and you may be right, but I don't think I am that handy, and with the rig still being fairly new I don't want to risk any warranty issues due to alterations that are not approved.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Operation completed. Patient... still alive, I hope.

The clearance below the tip of the screws was about 6in, a bit more than the generator and battery, but those are a bit better protected by metal angles, while this box seemed rather exposed to attacks from below.

So, I removed the bracket and cut it to reduce its height by about 2". Drilled the holes at the same relative location.

Put it back together and while doing so, learned a few things. One, when you reduce the height of a bracket to move whatever it is holding up a bit, remember that it may now cover the screw holes.
Also, one of the hoses is now at a slightly more acute angle, and starting to be a bit kinked. We'll see if that leads to any propane delivery issues.

Apart from that, now I have two inches more clearance in that area, and the solenoid/bracket is now flush with the other stuff underneath.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

On the hose being at a sharp angle, could you not add a 90* elbow at the regulator that would reduce the angle of the hose? Or change out the hose with a shorter reach with the 90* elbow or reroute the hose. Try other options.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I will be observing that area. The angle is more 45deg than 90, so adding a right angle elbow will just bend it a bit differently. I tried rerouting a bit, but there isn't that much play in it. May be a non-issue, hopefully.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You should be able to find a fitting that is 45º by searching around.
Is it a standard pipe thread fitting? If so a better hardware store or online source should have that. Just checked and amazon has them.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
You should be able to find a fitting that is 45º by searching around.
Is it a standard pipe thread fitting? If so a better hardware store or online source should have that. Just checked and amazon has them.
Agree, better do it correctly with LPG installation. LPG requires correct hoses, fittings or sealant. Watching for a potential failure is not the best way to prevent a disaster.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

OK, thanks, I'll have another look. Note that the issue is not the slim, flexible hose on the left of the image in the OP. It's the fatter one to the right. Have to see what kind of fitting that is and whether that would fit into the limited space.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Yes that hose is probably a flare fitting and may be harder to find a 45º ell. Is there enough slack in that hose to maybe rotate the existing 90º ell to give some relief to the bend? If you do that it would be better to remove the fitting, clean the threads and apply new sealant then re-install it the way you want it. If it was a liquid type sealant it has probably dried and turning the fitting either way could create a leak.
Or you could possibly buy a short hose with the same fittings and make a loop which might give it a lesser bend.
Could you post a picture of what's inside the cover so we can see what it is? Someone might have a different approach.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #13
Platinum Member

There is no existing 90deg L, it just comes out straight on both sides. I should have taken a picture when I had it all apart. It may be a pressure reducer, or solenoid (although I did not see any electrical wires so I think it may be the former).
Not going to do anything with it right now, sometimes the old "don't fix what ain't broken" may be right, don't want to create any leaks. Thanks again for the help, I think it may be good for now. I'll report back if there are any related issues.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Probably your regulator, if so it may have standard NPT fittings, or an NPT x flare fitting on the hose side. Whatever, just ruminating here. Glad you got it lifted.