Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Cupholders

I can't get enough cupholders. Fortunately, up front the Sprinter is blessed with numerous cupholders. There are two on the dash, one with the pull out ashtray, another if you remove the ashtray and the side panel at the doors bulges for placing water bottles in handy reach. Still, we found these portable door cupholders that fit at the windows.

With the cab seats turned around and at the back end with the sofa we had a dearth of cupholders. We had been using the above cupholders in the back with the sofa but always had to remove them when converting the sofa to a bed. So, I installed this one in the back to hold a drink while sitting on the sofa...

When not in use it folds up like this...

I also installed one up front on the side of the armoire which is reachable by either driver or passenger seat turned around. You can get them at a lot of RV and marine supply stores.

The creature comforts are important in a B. Do any B converters consider this kind of stuff? Previous to my Legend, GWVan was providing one of those flip down center console sofa armrests with cupholders. It went away just before ours was built.

Any other good examples or suggestions?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cupholders

Davydd,

We didn't get the armoire option. Is that your sterio I see in the armoire? Our 2nd sterio is up high in the back of the rig. We got the drawers unit instead of the armoire. Initially we thought the space above the drawers was badly used since it was just the top of the drawer unit that allowed us to look out a window, with the microwave placed above that. It turned out to be the most used place in the rig. We call it the "staging area" because whenever we have something that needs a temporary place for just a bit that is where we drop it. When we are cleaning up to take off, we accumulate stuff on the staging area that we need to finish with. Once we accumulate enough stuff to be put in the back under the sofa, for instance, we take it all back and make only one trip.

But that isn't the topic of your thread. We have found a need for a cupholder in the back near the bed for water at night, but I haven't got up the gumption to start making holes of my own in our brand spanking new SE. One of the first projects I plan is to remove the microwave and run a little extension cord from the 110 v outlet behind it through the platform it sits on so we can have an outlet right above the staging area--then we can use it to charge our phones, cameras, toothbrushes, etc., and also to plug in a laptop. The other usable outlets are above the galley, which causes us to leave phones around near the sink and stove which we would rather not do. When we want to use the laptop, the cord ends up running across the doorway, and we know that one day one of us will forget and walk right through it and drag the laptop onto the floor. Extending that one outlet will cure a lot of problems. We can SEE the outlet back there with one spot open, but the microwave is in so tight that we can't even reach back to plug an extension cord into it.

Other projects are getting some towell hangers in the unit. Another Sprinter RV owner sent me some photos of a number of racks/hangers that will hang over the galley and bathroom doors that don't require permanent changes. We'll have to take a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Target to start the process of experimenting with what will work.

...........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That cupholder shown is at the back of the B with the sofa. The radio with CD/DVD/FM/AM you see works with the TV. That wall is the cabinet above the sliding lavatory. On later models they moved it over with the TV. We have an armoire that is full height with a space between it and the upper cabinets. We keep trays there on top as "stuff" collectors (keys, wallets, phones, pens, small tools, tape, etc.).

It was a hanging closet with one drawer at the bottom, but we put in these Elfa shelves we bought at the Container Store.

We had them put in an outlet where your staging area is while it was still on the conversion line. This photo shows it. As you can see our microwave/convection oven is above our refrigerator. Along with the junk trays there is room to charge phones and iPads with this outlet.

We put in this pull out stretched clothesline to hang stuff to dry in the bathroom.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Rok
Platinum Member

Really neat stuff, Davydd!

I'll have to look in the back and see if we can install the cupholder near the sterio somewhere.

Our back sterio is supposed to hook up to the TV somehow, but I haven't been able to do it while on the road. Dave showed me how to do it, but apparently I forgot something because I've just been using the sound on the TV itself.

I like your layout, but I like ours too.

How big is your refrigerator?

...........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Our fridge is the smaller 4 cubic foot. It would be nice to have a larger refrigerator but not critical. We waste a lot of food as it is when we travel and I am afraid with more room we would just have more. I rotate beer in as I take one out.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Getting a little off my topic here. These are the trays for "stuff" I mentioned that we put on top of our Amoire. You can get them at Target amongst other places.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Davydd,

Where did you purchase those cup holders? Or can you give me a name to google them up? I had those in the old RoadTrek and loved them. I do not have cup-holders up front and find that without them, I drink too fast.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

D, found them....

American Technology CH-00100-BLK-1 THE MUGGER Black HD Folding Cup Holder
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I wonder about using those cupholders with double-sided adhesive (or perhaps high strength Velcro) as opposed to screws. That would allow me to attach it to a blind surface without having to worry about hitting anything behind with the screws.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

The cabinets I attached to were 3/4" plywood so all I had to do was select the right length screw.