Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Custom Hitch Cargo Tray for Travato

We have owned our Travato 59K for 4 years, and have always been trying different ways of storing stuff. I looked at many hitch cargo racks, and they were always too big for what we needed. This spring, we finally had one custom made (by GM Welding, Rochester, NY). The cargo tray is made of aluminum, so it's very light, and it is 54" x 12". The welder drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the hitch, and welded a nut to the hitch. When I put the tray into the receiver I can then use a bolt to stabilize the hitch tray - it works well.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1591453593

The cargo tray sits just below the rear door opening, so I can open the doors when the tray is empty. It's sized so it doesn't block the lights, and it doesn't add any additional length to the camper as compared to the length added by the Travato fold down bike rack. (Useful if you travel by ferry through the Canadian Maratimes, where they charge by the length for an RV, and in many cases they measure the actual camper.) Keeping it short also helps prevent it from hitting the ground when you going up a rise.

I use a duffel bad to hold 2 folding chairs, a beach chair, beach blanket, beach umbrella, a rug to go outside the camper, plus some odds and ends. All this stuff originally occupied the storage area under the passenger side bunk in the Travato 59K. Custom straps hold it all in place. If I'm worried about theft, I can put the bag inside the camper. The bag is small enough so it doesn't block the license plate.

The setup works for us. I hope someone finds this useful.

Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6893.jpg (505.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6898.jpg (67.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6933.jpg (76.9 KB, 54 views)
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

So you have to remove the duffel bag, to open the doors?

Sure looks nice, professional.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So you have to remove the duffel bag, to open the doors?

Sure looks nice, professional.

Bud
Yes. We typically remove the bag when we arrive at a campsite, as it contains most of our outside gear.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Gold Member

Default Cargo platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
We have owned our Travato 59K for 4 years, and have always been trying different ways of storing stuff. I looked at many hitch cargo racks, and they were always too big for what we needed. This spring, we finally had one custom made (by GM Welding, Rochester, NY). The cargo tray is made of aluminum, so it's very light, and it is 54" x 12". The welder drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the hitch, and welded a nut to the hitch. When I put the tray into the receiver I can then use a bolt to stabilize the hitch tray - it works well.

The cargo tray sits just below the rear door opening, so I can open the doors when the tray is empty. It's sized so it doesn't block the lights, and it doesn't add any additional length to the camper as compared to the length added by the Travato fold down bike rack. (Useful if you travel by ferry through the Canadian Maratimes, where they charge by the length for an RV, and in many cases they measure the actual camper.) Keeping it short also helps prevent it from hitting the ground when you going up a rise.

I use a duffel bad to hold 2 folding chairs, a beach chair, beach blanket, beach umbrella, a rug to go outside the camper, plus some odds and ends. All this stuff originally occupied the storage area under the passenger side bunk in the Travato 59K. Custom straps hold it all in place. If I'm worried about theft, I can put the bag inside the camper. The bag is small enough so it doesn't block the license plate.

The setup works for us. I hope someone finds this useful.

Howard
Hello Howard, Nice photos and very effective platform. The nut weld is so great and really helps. I had a platform ramp from my truck, and was able to drill the pin hole closer to the platform for the same effect.
Some people are putting folding cargo platforms on back. My platform holds two plastic boxes I bought from Walmart which carry a lot. I bought a wire lock and some ratchet tie downs, and find this really helps carry things. I guess we really saved a lot of money not having to buy a longer Class B. LOL I found a platform on Cricket.com which I like and is a nice to haul a mini cart for travels and will ride on the hitch if you can fix it correctly for the weight. I may have to have some custom welds. Oh another point. On my Travato 59K ladder I put a spare tire holder from Amazon, which also works for other things to hold. Everyone travel safe Beachbiker
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Beachlife -
You have clamped, or somehow secured a spare tire carrier onto the Travato 59k’s ladder? That is a unique idea. At first I think the weight of the tire & wheel would be. To much. On the other hand the ladder must have about a 200 pound weight capacity for typical adult to use as a ladder although we are not on the ladder while the Travato is in motion. W is the product called so I can look it up on Amazon?

StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
Beachlife -
You have clamped, or somehow secured a spare tire carrier onto the Travato 59k’s ladder? That is a unique idea. At first I think the weight of the tire & wheel would be. To much. On the other hand the ladder must have about a 200 pound weight capacity for typical adult to use as a ladder although we are not on the ladder while the Travato is in motion. W is the product called so I can look it up on Amazon?

StorysRVwego
I bought the following called the Ridged Hitch spare tire bracket at $31 and got a metal 3" or so plate that was longer than two rungs. Then I drilled holes in the back plate and painted it to match, then took bolts with nuts and put a piece of foam tube on the second/third step and bolted the holder together on each side of the rungs. Very strong, but don't put it over the license plate LOL. I use it to, carry a spare tire, secure my bike, and other things like my tent LOL. On the bike part I have a trailer hitch that goes into the receiver, which is bumper level to rest a bike on, and secure to the tire bracket. Also if you add a plate on the hitch it works for a box which also secures to the ladder. Being at home allows me time to come up with some interesting things on my Travato. If I get a chance I will take a photo to share. I was going to show this at the Winne B Travato club in the fall, at Daytona, but won't make it this time.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Hitch-S...%2C172&sr=8-12
Old 06-19-2020, 12:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Beachlife -
Excellent description. With the spread across the area of two ladder steps, I think it provides enough substance to be sturdy. My firs thought were that the heavy tire with rim would be too much for the ladder. Then again, I think WB considers the ladder strong enough for I imagine, a 200 pound adult or thereabouts standing on one step. Of course a person is not standing on a step while the RV is in motion so a speed bump or pothole, etc I suppose will radically change the vertical load for a moment. Still, i think the way you have secured it will handle a tire and rim while driving. Just a guess but I would imagine a tire & rim weighs about 60lbs, max.; a lot less than a 200lb non-human crash dummy tie strapped on the ladder steps while hitting a pothole at 65 mph...

I am definitley rolling your idea around in my head. It would mean the ladder is not useable while the wheel is bolted in place. And it’s a bit of a lift to get the wheel up to the mount to put it on, or take it off. Like my JK JEEP, it’s pretty much the same position and I am not fond of that lift and alignment process. On the totally opposite end of pocket book drain is the product from ALUMINESS that I have almost convinced myself to rob a bank so I can afforrd it. Just kidding.

It has a Steel hitch frame that mounts uniquely with a spindle type hinged, welded aluminum carrier. Left or right side mounting although on a ProMaster except on a WB Travato, I do not believe it will will clear the Black and Grey tank control valves if placed on the left (drivers) side. Or a Travato ladder option like you, me, and many others have. That means it would have to be a right side mount which would clear the optional bicycle rack on 2018+ Travato’s. With the Alumness tire mount, the tire will sit closer to the ground. That is a plus for getting the tire on and off this mount.

A hinge-down or side-pivot mount would get the spare on the ground. Not as nice for any constant need to open a rear dor but they have their merits. Nothing made for the Travato in this type so it would have to be a home brew.

Put it all together and you might have the best idea unless there is a need to use the ladder, then the tire is in the way. That would be the case for me since I use the ladder often; I have an “HF” ham radio antenna that is laid down (But still useable) for travel up on the roof rack and raised vertical to optimize the signal gain over distance.

What to do, what to do. Maybe your mount design with a step Added on at the tire hub to maintain rooftop access.

StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
Beachlife -
Excellent description. With the spread across the area of two ladder steps, I think it provides enough substance to be sturdy. My firs thought were that the heavy tire with rim would be too much for the ladder. Then again, I think WB considers the ladder strong enough for I imagine, a 200 pound adult or thereabouts standing on one step. Of course a person is not standing on a step while the RV is in motion so a speed bump or pothole, etc I suppose will radically change the vertical load for a moment. Still, i think the way you have secured it will handle a tire and rim while driving. Just a guess but I would imagine a tire & rim weighs about 60lbs, max.; a lot less than a 200lb non-human crash dummy tie strapped on the ladder steps while hitting a pothole at 65 mph...

I am definitley rolling your idea around in my head. It would mean the ladder is not useable while the wheel is bolted in place. And it’s a bit of a lift to get the wheel up to the mount to put it on, or take it off. Like my JK JEEP, it’s pretty much the same position and I am not fond of that lift and alignment process. On the totally opposite end of pocket book drain is the product from ALUMINESS that I have almost convinced myself to rob a bank so I can afforrd it. Just kidding.

It has a Steel hitch frame that mounts uniquely with a spindle type hinged, welded aluminum carrier. Left or right side mounting although on a ProMaster except on a WB Travato, I do not believe it will will clear the Black and Grey tank control valves if placed on the left (drivers) side. Or a Travato ladder option like you, me, and many others have. That means it would have to be a right side mount which would clear the optional bicycle rack on 2018+ Travato’s. With the Alumness tire mount, the tire will sit closer to the ground. That is a plus for getting the tire on and off this mount.

A hinge-down or side-pivot mount would get the spare on the ground. Not as nice for any constant need to open a rear dor but they have their merits. Nothing made for the Travato in this type so it would have to be a home brew.

Put it all together and you might have the best idea unless there is a need to use the ladder, then the tire is in the way. That would be the case for me since I use the ladder often; I have an “HF” ham radio antenna that is laid down (But still useable) for travel up on the roof rack and raised vertical to optimize the signal gain over distance.

What to do, what to do. Maybe your mount design with a step Added on at the tire hub to maintain rooftop access.

StorysRVwego
Hello, I hope you can open the photo attached which is side ways, that I took of the back ladder. Yes a tire is a bit heavy but not far from the ground. My thought once I had it on then a road service can come out and swap the tires for you and even use a jack on site. I have AAA and Good Sam. You can see the how part that holds the rim on the bracket which has a long threaded bolt with two medal plates. This can be higher if needed. Good luck on whatever works. Oh I just put a new LED 8.5"bath light in the back bath replacing the cheap low watt light, and it worked great. Another $31. LOL and Very bright.

IMG_0425.jpg