Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Custom Promaster floorplan

its clear that in the budget a new B just isnt going to happen. And the only way to get a B for us is to do it ourselves with a used Promaster. I dont mind doing this, its just obviously time consuming.

Anyway.... Id like some input on this floorplan. The height of the cross bed is such that it would be a easy thing to get over when going to the rear. And I think this bed configuration really opens up the living space. The cross bed I imagine would take up around the same position as the water tank seat in the Travato G.

The beds should be comfortable for us at only 5'8 tall. That long countertop I want to make so that there is room under the one end to give my dog extra laying room. One fantastic fan in main area and a roof AC. Probably just the smaller fan in the bathroom. I want to do roof solar but my brain isnt there yet. Dry bath.

A table is one thing im unsure of. I could either push the galley down making it smaller to fit a table near the L of the beds. Or just use those wooden portable tables.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Interesting idea, but I think I would make the center of the crossbed hinged or removable for travel time or other daytime use where a table could replace it if wanted.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yea I could probably do one of those one leg tables that can push down to become part of the bed platform. If the section of bed fits in the promaster little upper compartment that would be nice. Id lose a bit of storage though under that bed.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There are few spaces that are more personal and intimate than a Class B, given its incredibly small size. Therefore it's difficult to comment on anyone else's design - it's entirely a matter of personal use objectives and preference.

I'm a fan of placing a one-sided wet bath directly behind the driver's seat - in fact, I wouldn't have a rig without that configuration. The million dollar view will always be straight out the back doors given the kind of camping that my husband and I want to do, and given the kind of off-grid professional work that we've designed our rig to allow me to do.

When the side-to-side rear bath models first started coming out, my husband and I were among those Class B owners who were horrified. We couldn't understand why anyone would want to concede that immersive opportunity to a toilet. But it's totally a personal preference.

Also, if you place the water tank under the bed, it's on the opposite side of the galley. Typically that is not done. If you flip the toilet-shower arrangement and place the tank under the galley, it might make for easier PEXing for you.

Here's an image quilt of million dollar views, a couple of them mine, but most of them belonging to other van owners:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Some great views there! We always wanted one with a couch/bed directly across from the big side door with a sliding screen door.

I guess I can put the water tank basically in the same place as the Travato G. On the side of the galley and door I dont want any obstructing view cabinets. I plan to put a window there for when the side door is closed. We arent fans of cabinets above window height up front because we feel it makes it more closed off feeling. If the water tank is where the 59G has theirs, how does it fill with a outside fill on the opposite side? Though I guess I can just fill it directly without a outside port.

Currently I see used 2500's with 159" wheel base are much easier to find in PA then the 3500 and a good 5k or more cheaper. Thats sacrifices 15 inches of length. If I went that route id probably have to cut out the shower and put a storage cabinet in the bathroom instead. Maybe just do what the 59k does. Of course not having a shower cuts out the need for a hot water heater and the additional plumbing. We always wanted a shower in a B, but I guess when you figure that every RV shower experience will suck its not a giant loss.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The challenge you will find with a rear bath configuration is that, to have waste tanks of a desirable size, they will have to go under the floor in the rear of the van. That space on many vans is either used for a generator or spare tire. If you are willing to give up those two things, then you have lots of flexibility of fitting a 20-25 gallon gray tank and the standard 10 gallon black. If you go with a cassette, then you have more room to work with.

I'd also advise you to install all your fresh water piping above the floor, inside the heated space of the van.

Good luck with your build!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I feel like in this build with the bed layout I could still put the fresh water where I have it and just run the lines under the beds and then under the flooring I put down. It would make filling it easier Id think.

I wont have a generator. Im not sure where the spare tire goes on the Promaster, but if there is one I may drop that too in favor of a leak kit and roadside assistance.

What are your thoughts on a combo black and grey tank instead of two separate tanks? Ive seen a couple B's do that but Im not sure of the pros and cons. I assume I could plumb in a tank clean out to help rinse the waste hose after dumping, since you wouldnt be able to do the typical black first grey second dump.

And talking about it more, we may decide to not do a shower not matter what length we get. Just have a enclosed toilet on the rear of one side with a door similar to the one on the 59G.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I would not do a combo tank.

For one, if you have a backup, sewage comes up all your trains, making a very smelly and nasty situation. If any sewage comes up your drain lines, it will be almost impossible to get the stink out of your van.

Second, usually the case is you fill your grey tank much faster than your black. Generally that one needs dumping first. If you get where you can't find a dump station, you can dump that gray water out on the ground if necessary. You can't do that if there is sewage in it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Great point I didnt even think of that disgusting possibility lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Site Team

I am a huge fan of a combined tank. I have owned both, and given a choice I would go with a combined tank hands down. I'm not sure any of the naysayers have ever actually had one. This has been discussed in great depth, so a quick search will reveal all the arguments pro and con. No point in repeating it all here.

But, to reply directly to Wincrasher's points:
1) It is not very difficult to avoid a grossly-overfilled tank, which is the only way to get a backup. Plus, of course, all else being equal, you have much more tank capacity with a combined tank. Moreover, it is not true that you would get backup in all drains. You would only get it in the shower floor, which is not that big a deal. You would get plenty of warning before anything very disgusting were to occur. Then you would just drain and run the shower.

2) If you think through the logic of the "which tank fills first" argument, you will see that it makes little sense. With a combined tank, you don't have to worry about which one fills first--the space is always available for whichever is needed. This is one of the biggest arguments in favor of a combined tank. As for dumping your grey tank on the ground--I'm not sure how to respond to the claim that that is ever ok.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Talking with the guys on the promaster forum im already thinking of changing this to a bunk bed layout. Really like the way the one poster on there did his bunk beds. It would then allow room for a permanent dinette.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Talking with the guys on the promaster forum im already thinking of changing this to a bunk bed layout. Really like the way the one poster on there did his bunk beds. It would then allow room for a permanent dinette.
If you are going to switch to a wet bath, I would move the bunk beds to the back, the bath in the middle-driver's side, and the cabinets right behind the driver's seat. The hanging closet doesn't need to go all the way to the ceiling, so you can keep the upper space right behind the driver's seat open with a small window, which is nice.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Bunk beds are in the CS Reisemobile DUO. I got to take a look at one in Canada and it was quite nice.

CS-Reisemobile campervan DUO
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Another piece of general advice: Avoid duplications. They are just too wasteful in a Class B. Does your driver's seat swivel as the passenger seat appears to in the drawing? If so, then delete the dinette and use the front table to form a dinette there. Having two such areas would be a luxury better devoted to two different types of functionality, rather than two of the same kind.

Not only should there be no duplications, as many things as possible should serve multiple purposes. My husband and I have converging jack-knife couches, which we adore - they are another feature that we would never build without. Couches up = seating. Couches down = queen-sized bed. One up and one down = sleeping for one person, seating for the other. Plus with "real" furniture couches that have internal springs and Ultraleather upholstery instead of something more akin to foam jump seat cushions, it's comfortable for me when I'm working on my computer for hours at a stretch. It would suck for us not to have that versatility.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
Platinum Member

If I can have a dinette I may just not swivel either driver seat. Preferably id rather not have to sit in them when im not driving. May as well save the $200+ on the swivel and probably delete that front table too.

I taped out the layout on my living room floor last night and it seems like it would be good for what we wanted. But im sure once we get the van in our hands things can change. The extended 3500's are hard to find used. Finding a ton of the 2500 159" wheelbases but id lose 15 inches.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
If I can have a dinette I may just not swivel either driver seat. Preferably id rather not have to sit in them when im not driving. May as well save the $200+ on the swivel and probably delete that front table too.

I taped out the layout on my living room floor last night and it seems like it would be good for what we wanted. But im sure once we get the van in our hands things can change. The extended 3500's are hard to find used. Finding a ton of the 2500 159" wheelbases but id lose 15 inches.
Having a permanent dinette would be nice, I think. For me, and for use with only two people, I would think that using a pair of more comfortable single seats, on swivels, would be really a good way to have a dinette. Auto bucket seats from a luxury car come to mind, on swivel adapters (you even have 12v available so they could be power). That way you would be more comfortable at the table, and could turn it to the aisle to watch TV, maybe folding down part of the table to use as an end table.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I feel kinda silly, ive now changed things 3 times in a couple days and even want to switch to the 2500 159" now. You start looking around and your ideas really change. Which is a good thing. Here is what I think im pretty set on now. I wont keep bringing this thread back up with changes until a build actually starts next year.

Only thing not on here is maybe a small ottoman/seat at the end of the couch near the driver seat.

I like your idea Booster about the front seats. Id prefer that, but we have a big dog and a couch would be easier to make his bed at night.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Did you take into consideration the wheel wells? You're not going to be fitting any water tanks or bathrooms very well where they bulge into your floorplan.
EsotericSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote