Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Digital Thermostat in Series with Dometic Thermostat

For you thermostat wiring gurus I have a question. Is there a way to wire a new digital thermostat in series with the Dometic thermostat. The new thermostat would control the on and off temperature, because the Dometic does a very poor job of that with large temperature swings. I would also locate the new thermostat not on the outer wall to prevent solar wall heating from affecting the thermostat. I ask this because my understanding is the Dometic CoolCat thermostat wiring sounds a bit tricky, so using the new thermostat to provide power to the Dometic thermostat would be work-around. Does this concept make sense, or is there a better way to get around the Dometic thermostat issues?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

One person claimed she had it done without removing the unit. She never answered the questions so I doubt it happened.

The only way I know to put a digital thermostat on an old Cool Cat is to replace it with a new one, which I did. You can intercept the two wires from the furnace and port them to an aftermarket battery powered thermostat. Mounting the thermostat on a 1/2” piece of foam helps the solar problem. I don’t know how to add a digital control to the A/C part.

The analog thermostat has 10 degree hysteris which is the problem.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I think the issues with Dometics and fluctuation temperatures isn't so much the lack of a super accurate thermostat or it's position in the fridge. It's that the evaporative cooling process is so slow compared to a compressor fridge and they are far more effected by the ambient (outside) temperature. I improved the situation on mine by adding a manual switch to the outside coil fans. If your fridge doesn't have outside coil fans, there is a kit available. Here is a thread I started on the subject a couple of months ago. Hope this helps: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ter-12785.html
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:16 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Also, I bought a super cheap ($5) electronic thermometer with a probe on a 3 foot wire. The unit is attached with velcro to the wall above the fridge and the probe simply goes into the fridge via the front door. Although it doesn't control temperature, it gives a very accurate temperature of the interior.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sorry, but I think it's best to KISS. I still don't understand why everything has to be so complicated. Full timed and was just fine with all the stock appliances etc. Now I'll get ready to be blasted! LOL
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Chicago Tom you are 1. The recipient of individually the best made Dometic RM unit in the USA 2. It's also your field 3. I agree, KISS is best 4. Many of the Gurus on here though, to our benefit are over achievers & like to squeeze the the very last performance from our systems - in many areas of life, I am the same 5. There seems to be a disconnect (not on your part) as here someone is talking about the Thermostat in a Cool Cat AC Unit & another, a Thermostat in a Dometic Fridge. Or maybe I have misread it.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:23 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Yep. My bad. Thought he was talking about a fridge.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Yep. My bad. Thought he was talking about a fridge.
I thought he was talking about my fourth ex wife ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote