Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default DIY Bed

Hi all,

I've had my 1995 Pleasureway MPL for 6 years, and have enjoyed camping with it very much. One pet peeve that my wife and I have had is the 'bed'. The MPL has a rear dinette which folds down into a 50"X73" bed. The bench cushions, although reasonably comfortable for sitting, are not that great for sleeping. We mostly travel as a twosome, and when we go camping, we don't bother with setting up and taking down the rear bed/dinette.We leave it as a bed. We have a table at the front which I customized to swing out of the way when not in use behind the drivers seat. So, what to do about making the bed more comfortable for sleeping. i decided to remove the seat cushions, and table support from the rear, and replace it with a real bed. I used a 1/2" G1S sheet of plywood, which I had to cut in half length-way to fit it into the van. I installed strips of 3/4" plywood at the outside edges and inside edges of the 2 halves to support the plywood across the center part which was originally supported by the table. I chose 1/2" plywood, to cut down on weight. Everything was attached with screws, so I can easily revert back to original if I want to sell.
Now for the mattress. I went to Ikea, and bought a memory foam mattress, 5 1/2" thick. The closest size I could find was 53"X75". it comes in a zipped cover. I unzipped it, and cut 3" off the width and 2" off the length. It fits nicely in place. Now, it is a breeze to change sheets and blankets. Previously, with the seat cushions, it was always a struggle because they are rigid. The foam mattress can be lifted to allow easy fitting of sheets, and with the zip cover , can be changed easily as well. I haven't taken any pictures yet, so can't show the end result. We will be taking it out for a week in the mountains soon, and I'm hoping we will have a much more comfortable sleep.
WAPITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: DIY Bed

We have a similar rear dinette/bed setup. You're right about the cushions, they are hard. We purchased a 2" firm foam, cut it to size, make a slip cover for it, and sleep fine.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Our memory foam mattress developed Alzheimers after about a year.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Here's hoping mine doesn't. The mattress is 4" of medium stiff foam with a ribbed top and 1 1/2" of memory foam on top. If the memory foam turns out to be a problem, we can easily take it out and add another 3" of regular foam. Because we've cut down the outside dimensions, there should be room in the zip cover for some extra thickness.
WAPITI is offline   Reply With Quote