Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default DIY Fiberglass Shower

Hello Folks,

I'm planning my cargo van conversion V2.0 and a new shower is on my list. Most straightforward is by using FRP panels (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels).
Just wondering how feasible it is to do it all in fiberglass. Time is not an issue, finish quality is. Having the work outsourced is also a possibility, but haven't found a company yet that would do it.

Has anybody out there experience working with fiberglass?

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: DIY Fiberglass Shower

I know nothing about it but would love to hear about whatever solutions you come up with.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Small details should be possible, I just wonder if someone has tried a whole shower/bathroom before.

I'll post it here too if I get sound advice from somewhere else.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Platinum Member

One of the new Pleasure-Ways has a shower made out of Corian. It would be easier to work with than fiberglass. It would also be easy to find a fabricator. An experienced Corian custom counter person could probably do the job. Shower enclosures in houses are fairly common, so they would have all of the stuff to create one for an RV. There are Corian Certified fabricators who'd probably enjoy the challenge. Corian, however, would probably weigh more than a fiberglass shell. On the other hand, if the fiberglass needed a backing or reinforcement, then the weight might be a toss up.

If you decide on fiberglass, Home Depot and similar stores carry plenty of pre-fab fiberglass shower stalls, so having one built from scratch may not be necessary. If you really want custom fiberglass fabrication, I'd start by calling places that build surfboards. They're the only folks that I know that routinely create custom things out of fiberglass.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy
One of the new Pleasure-Ways has a shower made out of Corian. It would be easier to work with than fiberglass. It would also be easy to find a fabricator. An experienced Corian custom counter person could probably do the job. Shower enclosures in houses are fairly common, so they would have all of the stuff to create one for an RV. There are Corian Certified fabricators who'd probably enjoy the challenge. Corian, however, would probably weigh more than a fiberglass shell. On the other hand, if the fiberglass needed a backing or reinforcement, then the weight might be a toss up.

If you decide on fiberglass, Home Depot and similar stores carry plenty of pre-fab fiberglass shower stalls, so having one built from scratch may not be necessary. If you really want custom fiberglass fabrication, I'd start by calling places that build surfboards. They're the only folks that I know that routinely create custom things out of fiberglass.
My preference is DIM (Do-It-Myself), but the surfboard dudes are a great place get some questions answered. I'll do some research on the Corian too, but as you said, the material seems quite heavy.

Good suggestions.

Thanks!

Van Williams.

CargoVanConversion.com