Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Don's Dual Power Source Inverter Installation

Don's Dual Power Source Inverter Installation

I wanted to be able to draw power for my 1200w inverter from the chassis battery or the house battery, depending on my circumstances. The battery switch shown below from Harbor Freight Tools allows me to do that with a simple hook up.

The switch comes with two removable red keys and is rated for 100 amps. The keys are only removable with the switch in the off position. I keep only one key by the switches to prevent accidental feeds from both batteries at the same time! (can’t use only one key to switch both on)
The following diagram shows how I hooked the separate batteries to the inverter thru two of these switches.

Chassis battery power is fed from the starter terminal for two reasons. One: it is a closer power source to the inverter than the van battery with a convenient connector lug and heavy cable already there. Two: it allows me to recharge a low chassis battery thru the house system (Onan) by taking a second red key from its hiding place and having both switches on temporarily. This keeps the battery isolator out of circuit.

Compartment under 4th seat or wardrobe in my 92 RT Independent is where I put the inverter and switches.

I used a separate electrical box and receptacle with a push on / push off remote switch under it to start/stop the inverter and mounted it under the microwave.

Don
'92 RT Independent
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote