Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Electric Ignition for Propane Stove DIY

Another improvement to my camper (known as the Sun2). I was annoyed by lighting the two burner propane stove. No automatic lighter! I was always digging in the drawer trying to find the lighter and that didn't work well near 30°F. I fixed it.

I bought an electric spark generator with two electrodes that was intended for a gas grill. $16. One AA battery. It was made to mount inside of a grill and did not fit underneath the stove top. As designed you loaded the battery and the switch was on the end of the battery holder. I hacked it and added wires for a remote push button switch.

Holy Mackerel ! With a new AA battery this thing would draw a spark across more that 3/8" ! Approx 30,000 volts. Yikes!

Made a couple of small 90° brackets to mount the electrodes. Electrode wires were tough to bend so it was tricky to find just the right spot at the burners. The spark needs to be close to where the gas comes out. The electrode had to be about 1/8" away from burner to have the arc go directly to the gas opening... further away and the spark would jump somewhere else and not ignite the gas. Electrode cannot be close to the stove top either.

A couple of hours work and now we have a DELUXE electronic igniter. Works every time too!

Stove: two burner Suburban SDS2 drop in unit (not a flush mount)

Grill Lighter with two electrodes: Mensi, ASIN # B07BF7ZLNW Amazon $13.99 (Dec 2020)

Push button switch: Any momentary contact switch from hardware store should work. I had these on hand (nice red button): p/n 2PRYswitch, from Amazon $8.99 for (qty 20)
lighter-1.jpg

lighter-2.JPG

lighter-3.JPG

lighter-4.JPG

lighter-5.JPG

lighter-6.JPG
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Great modification!
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Excellent, thank you. Now I have something to do during my COVID lockdown weekend.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I’ve been meaning to do this to my stove for a long time. Now I’ve truly got no excuse as you even gave me the part numbers �� Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
Gold Member

Great solution. I guess when the AA battery wears out it’s just a matter of removing a couple of screws and lifting the stove cover off to replace it? I suppose an alternate solution would be to put the generator under the stove accessible from the cupboard. Then running wires into the stove compartment to feed the two electrodes.

I had always assumed I’d need to find a spark generator that I would connect to the coach 12v system like the OEM option. But this is a simpler solution by far.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I already have the ignition, but use a log lighter. I'm not sure why it's such a hassle, but to each his own. LOL....JMO, so don't bite my head off
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Great Mod!

I like this idea. I have a piezo-electric grill igniter (no battery required) kit for a gas grill. I'm gonna see if it'll work.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #8
Silver Member

I'm in your corner ChicagoTom lol
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default More photos - Battery Holder Contacts

A few more photos. The body of the generator is soft plastic. To access the negative contact wire of battery you can whittle away a rib with a pen knife and expose the wire and solder to it. I removed the spring and rubber button from the switch end. Just using what I had on hand, I soldered a small copper washer to the end of a male barrel connector. A copper rivet would work. I made up a plastic disk that fits inside of battery holder. The male contact protrude through the disk. This snugs up well for a secure contact. I did not need a separate battery holder with this arrangement.

I choose to mount generator under stove top. I expect the battery will last a year or two. A remote generator and/or battery gives lots of options.
spark-1_1.JPG

spark-2_1.JPG

spark-3_1.JPG
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:46 AM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
I'm in your corner ChicagoTom lol
So am i, the simpler the better!
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
Silver Member

Can I just send you my burners and you install the push button system? Like Maryland crab soup??? I trade for push button burners!!!!!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote