Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Extra Seat belts installations??

Looking to add two extra seat belts in our 1994 Pleasureway campervan at the back dinette area. (there is no other seats) Has anyone installed extra seat belts? With only 2 seat belts at present we are hoping to take another couple with us to family reunions and etc tho they will not be sleeping on our campervan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Yellow Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Extra Seat belts installations??

I looked into it for the RT I had. It's one of those jobs that you might want a dealer to do for you because of the personal liability exposure. I've no doubt that one can figure how to secure the belts but it would be an untested installation and unproven design until a crash. I'm not trying to discourage you, it's just something you should be aware of.

You could visit some RV dealer lots and see if any available models have a rear seat belt setup like you want to get ideas.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I looked into it for the RT I had. It's one of those jobs that you might want a dealer to do for you because of the personal liability exposure. I've no doubt that one can figure how to secure the belts but it would be an untested installation and unproven design until a crash. I'm not trying to discourage you, it's just something you should be aware of.

You could visit some RV dealer lots and see if any available models have a rear seat belt setup like you want to get ideas.
It is a little bit discouraging having only 2 seatbelts as I have a hubby who has leukemia and tires easily and have hopes of taking someone with us to help on the drives before he gets worse and have to give up the trips . But definately will only do it by a professional hence the reason I posted trying to find that person/company that may be able to help. Thanks for the suggestion tho Got my fingers crossed there is someone out there who can help!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Lou
Platinum Member

We want a middle seat belt on our couch and asked our Ford dealer where they do maintenance for us and they said no (worried about liability). Pleasureway suggested that we contact a certified vehicle retrofitting company. We haven't found one yet.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

A mobility van upfitter might be a good place to start. I think they would know the requirements and how to do it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
We want a middle seat belt on our couch and asked our Ford dealer where they do maintenance for us and they said no (worried about liability). Pleasureway suggested that we contact a certified vehicle retrofitting company. We haven't found one yet.
Thanks! Never thought of that but definitely will look into that! got my fingers crossed I'll find such a company and post it when I find one!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
A mobility van upfitter might be a good place to start. I think they would know the requirements and how to do it.
that's a great suggestion! I will look into it!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Lou
Platinum Member

Today we got a middle seatbelt installed in our Pleasure-Way Excel. As suggested by Pleasure-Way, we found a company that converts vans to make them more wheelchair accessible or more suitable for people with mobility issues. They checked it out and then they installed the seatbelt . It took less than 30 minutes.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Today we got a middle seatbelt installed in our Pleasure-Way Excel. As suggested by Pleasure-Way, we found a company that converts vans to make them more wheelchair accessible or more suitable for people with mobility issues. They checked it out and then they installed the seatbelt . It took less than 30 minutes.
That's awsome! wish I was able to. Unfortunately it turned out that the van had major propane issues and we are no longer purchasing it!!!! We are looking at a Leisure van that has 4 seat belts in it already and hopefully it passes propane inspection! fingers crossed.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

Can you tell me which mobility company installed your seat belt in the Vancouver Area?
SpiderDude is offline   Reply With Quote