Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #1

Default Extra storage for Travato

I just bought a used Travato a month ago. After three trips in it, we came to the conclusion that we could use more storage. It does not have a factory roof rack and I do not want to use storage that is inserted into the towing attachment. I don’t want to block the back doors. Surely, this has come up before. I’m looking for suggestions.

Doc Mann
DocMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking, you will find that your Class B works best for you if you customize it to your specific uses. As I type that sentence, my husband and I (and our dog) have lived in ours for the past 26 consecutive days off-grid, with 14 of those days having been in off-grid quarantine in Canada, after having driven here from Houston Texas. So, I have some experience in what I’m saying.

We spent part of our free time over the past 5 years upfitting the van to perform exactly what we need it to do. There is no way any stock vehicle could even come close.

Specifically speaking, there are a few storage options that I would suggest you evaluate within your context as low-hanging fruit type options. One is a hitch carrier, custom-designed if necessary. Another is an ATV bag or similar storage unit that you could mount on your roof (we carry a Telesteps 1400E telescoping ladder to access our roof).

In our case, we carry food cross-continent, so we devised a custom hitch carrier for our Yeti cooler. IF you do a hitch carrier, I recommend that you achieve a design that blocks ONE door only - not both. It’s just much easier to live with if it’s done that way.

A couple of pics:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMann View Post
I just bought a used Travato a month ago. After three trips in it, we came to the conclusion that we could use more storage. It does not have a factory roof rack and I do not want to use storage that is inserted into the towing attachment. I don’t want to block the back doors. Surely, this has come up before. I’m looking for suggestions.

Doc Mann
Consider a Stow away sing out. You can get a hitch divider. Basically converts your hitch to two. Place a cargo carrier on the roof. You will have to get access with ladder. Van compass makes a front hitch. You could place a Stow way box or platform on the front. Lots of options, all with some compromises. You just have to design/ upgrade for the way you use your van.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Gold Member

I think a lot of Travato owners down size what they carry. You didn't say if it was a K or a G. Also join the Travato Owners and Wannabees Group on Facebook. Lots of ideas there.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Install a front receiver. https://flic.kr/p/Ea6N9a
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
Install a front receiver. https://flic.kr/p/Ea6N9a
Give some consideration to the cooling issues with the Ram promaster 3500. Intalling a carrier in the front will impede air flow to radiator and reduce cooling. Just something additional to consider when extra storage is desired.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #7

Thanks, but I don’t want to block airflow to the engine.
DocMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
...I do not want to use storage that is inserted into the towing attachment. I don’t want to block the back doors. Surely, this has come up before. I’m looking for suggestions.

Doc Mann
Though it's not what you want, like others, I've gone the route of the hitch-mounted cargo carrier. Through the use of a hitch extender, which moves the carrier away from the bumper a bit, I'm able to get between the carrier and the back door of the van if I need to. As long as the carrier is unloaded, the rear door is free to swing open. Loaded, not.

I've had a close call backing up, forgetting about the extra length. Fortunately I didn't hit anything, but I sure got an awakening of its likelihood.

It's a constant battle finding room for everything I want to take along.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Bronze Member

There are also tons of YT videos that deal with storage ideas. While not necessarily Travato specific the ideas are worth checking out as they might apply anyway. She to Me is one I would check out. Like anything else you might have to look at a lot of ideas to get the really great one that works.
elayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I like Interblog’s idea. We have a 2020 59K. Our 2nd one. We bought a Wilco swing away spare tire carrier. We wanted the swing away to be able to open the rear door in case of any emergency. Interblog’s idea will certainly do that. We also utilize the under bed storage on the curb side bed. Not available on the driver side. We also bought a small wheeled container (Container Store) that we use to store our grill and other camping things. It fits nicely next to the sliding door while traveling. Keep in mind the Promaster is a single rear wheel vehicle. It’s not too hard putting stuff in it to get it close to or over the GVW.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
We also bought a small wheeled container (Container Store) that we use to store our grill and other camping things. It fits nicely next to the sliding door while traveling.
Can you provide the SKU for the "small wheeled container"?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
Bronze Member

SKU#:
10077444. This is the one we got. It’s taller and more narrow than the more rugged one they have. We did buy that first. But it is longer and just seemed to take up more space. The lid on ours also has a rubber seal to make it somewhat waterproof. We keep it outside when we’re at our campsite. Hope that helps.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #14

Check out rak attach swing away hitch
DWallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:

Doc Mann
Hello Doc, I have a 2020 Travato K and agree there is need for storage. I came up with the following ideas. Some work better than other.

1. I have the ladder so I put a few things on the ladder with a device I made. It holds the spare tire if needed, and other things like a bike.
2. Under the running board I put a piece of 5"x5" PVC attached it to the frame with bolts and used fence caps with a thumb screw. I store paper towels and TP but it is 2' for I could put the vehicle jack if needed.
3. Under the drivers side bed I found that if I pull the tube that caries the sewer hose (to small anyway) there is space to carefully put dry things. You are close to the pump and Truma unit.
4. Lastly, under the rear toilet I took off the plate that was screwed in, and used the plate with a hinge attached to the base as a door (again thumb screw) to store the sewer hose. It also works for putting gloves and some of the toilet sanitizer bottles.

I hope this helps and if you or anyone has any more ideas I would be glad to hear. Oh I did buy some shoe holders that fit well and things I learn and ready help find new ideas. I love this vehicle like a hobby car, and Winnie Support has been great on issues. My warranty is now up. LOL

Take care
H
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
Gold Member

Yes, I have downsized my coffee maker, toaster, and insta pot. Smaller fans. We have learned and living smaller is better. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote