Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default First Time Everything Winter Help

I am picking up my 2017 Era tomorrow here at a dealer in Utah. I don't know how concerned I should be about the rig freezing up as I'll be staying in it here locally until the first of the year. Any advice would be worth gold. Thanks.
dashriprock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
I am picking up my 2017 Era tomorrow here at a dealer in Utah. I don't know how concerned I should be about the rig freezing up as I'll be staying in it here locally until the first of the year. Any advice would be worth gold. Thanks.
Congrats!

If you're staying in Utah (especially at altitude) you should be very aware of freezes and winterizing. If you suspect only brief freezing periods, you may be able to get away with tank heaters and pink RV antifreeze in the gray tank, black tank, dump valves, and running some through the macerator (if so equipped).

If you have exposed water lines underneath, then you may need to run the same antifreeze though the fresh water side if temps will stay below freezing for several days, But personally I'd rather drain the water heater and low point valves than do that. I have a yucky image of putting anything besides fresh water in my drinking system.

Ultmately it will depend on the build of your particular van, which I am not familiar with.

EDIT: If your dealer is familar with the ERA units (and that's a big if) you should ask for their witnterization steps and read any literature from Winnebago that might refer to it. Also, youtube is your friend. And remember, precautions for Winter storage may be much more important than using your ERA during cold weather because you'll be heating the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+winnebago+era
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We left Michigan about 1 week ago in our PW. Before we left, I emptied the fresh water tank, blew out the water lines and added antifreeze to the gray and black tanks. We filled up the fresh in Atlanta. Operated out of a jug of tap water in the meantime. I am used to rustic camping, so the northern leg was still luxurious.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would ask the dealer to deliver it to you winterized. Salt Lake City temperatures are already too low to risk freezing and there is little chance you will get through the month without an extended stretch of below freezing weather. Make sure they weatherize the macerator after dumping the tanks. Depending on the technician who is doing the weatherization they may not have any experience with macerator systems.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote