Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Getting a feel for it.

Hi! I'm new. This question is for the Class B old heads, the pioneers, seasoned and/or gristled. Please finish this sentence "You can never have enough ______ in your RV." I'm sure some will get cheeky so have at it! I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm going to need to stock up on when i get my Era from the dealer.
Thanks!
dashriprock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You can never have enough battery in your RV.

On the other hand, I didn't actually need about half of the stuff that I bought because I thought I needed it.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Battery is important. But you can always generate more electricity by starting the engine, if need be. I think water is number 1. It can be consumed very quickly if you're not careful. Water needs to be managed carefully, both use and sourcing.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've seen this question expressed as "what is your biggest fear" because we tend to stock up on whatever we are most fearful of being without. For us, it must be food. Besides fridge and freezer, we have five drawers of food.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Planning ?

when we camp we plan a "trip to town" about every 5 to 7 days

we carry water, food and have enough clothing to meet that interval

trip to town means groceries, laundry, water and gas/propane if needed--- also connecting to web as we are often off grid

carrying 9 days food makes no sense and takes up space when the water, laundry or boredom will determine when we head to town

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:19 AM   #6
Gold Member

For us, "You can never have enough bedroom". We set up the bed in the back of our Roadtrek and leave it set up. We put a foam topper on top of the cushions, and have plenty of blankets and pillows. I put a flat screen TV back there, and LED reading lights. We love to relax in the "bedroom", and I like to take a 3 or 4 hour nap when the traffic gets heavy. Just pull over into a rest stop, and sleep until the road is clear.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
Hi! I'm new. This question is for the Class B old heads, the pioneers, seasoned and/or gristled. Please finish this sentence "You can never have enough ______ in your RV." I'm sure some will get cheeky so have at it! I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm going to need to stock up on when i get my Era from the dealer.
Thanks!
Tye-Wraps !!
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Er... wife happiness? Can't have too much of that!
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Whether full or part-time, I expect many would agree that one can never have enough quality first aid equipment in your kit.
Two lower priority items may be disposable gloves (e.g. for dumping) and paper towels.
Seasons Greetings
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:09 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Storage

Storage, the lack of which makes a lot of other useful stuff too much.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Love and patience. Everything else you can buy in the road.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #12

Yes patience, ability to compromise, and plenty of replacement drawer and cabinet door latches. EVERY trip we take another cabinet door or drawer latch breaks. Luckily they are inexpensive and easy to do for oneself.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

A full set of repair tools: wrenches, ratchet set, screwdrivers, pliers, air pump, spare fuses, etc......
Karl Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Hi
Well, no one else has said it ,so it most be me. BLACK WATER holding tank storage. We've got (I think) 10 gal. and we figure 5 or 6 days if we're Boondocking/dry camping.
There are idiot lights for this tank . I don't trust that sensor at all. I/ we are shsll we say fearful of running it over. And I'm guessing I'm not alone in this,I see alot of extra tanks being pulled a round campgrounds,an interesting sight ! I keep waiting for one to break lose.
Good side Biz for someone : running a honeywagon around campgrounds. I've seen it in boat anchorages , so why not?
Anyway you'll find your own "thing" and if it's only one , then count yourself lucky.
I did like the love, patience, ability to compromise,,, got to work on that one
Happy camping and a great Holiday to all
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:51 PM   #15
Silver Member

slow dance music
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:35 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Space......

If you're in a Class B no matter what you do you'll always want just a little extra room. .

When we first got our rig we definitely "over packed" and we've gotten better about this, but, it's a learning curve.

We still take "too much", on occasion, but, we're getting better at it. We make a list of things we don't use and remove them from the coach. It's extra stuff that just weighs you down.

Remember that anything you don't have you can always purchase on the road..... don't overload too much food, clothes or gear.....it just gets in the way of finding the things you need.

Class B's are something you live out of while traveling.... they are designed to go long distances.... because of the superior fuel economy.... and can be parked or driven anywhere.

Good luck.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #17
Silver Member

My first thought was: paper towels. We use them for napkins and then to clean dishes before washing so we don't use so much water and also don't contaminate the gray tank.

I do like the love and patience one though. I'll remember to bring those along with the paper towels.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #18
Silver Member

Default Storage

STORAGE! STORAGE! STORAGE! We converted a hanging closet into a pantry. Early on we discovered that we don't take anything that HAS to be hung...maybe a few coats...but we have hooks on the doors for that. Amazing how much that space has come in handy!!!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
Thanks!
my answer is simple: $$
cruisin america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:46 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin america View Post
my answer is simple: $$
Actually, I would disagree with that. Doesn’t take a lot of $$ to enjoy life in a van.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote