Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Good Replacement For Winnibago's horrible exterior speakers

If your rig has these outdoor speakers:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KPR02..._N8tyEbFYC3838

you likely know how much they suck, especially when that plastic cone-shaped dust-cap shakes loose and rattles around, making a horrible buzzing noise instead of music.

As luck would have it, these speakers mount in the exact same drill holes. No cutting or drilling required:

https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rESTcV...s-XL-52SS.html

Just did the install last night, so my hopes of better durability are based on reviews and relative cost, but:
  • They sound SO MUCH BETTER
  • They weigh almost twice as much, and feel much more sturdy
  • the cone on the PowerBass speakers isn't directly visible, hopefully that mesh faceplate will offer more protection

One small issue did arise: if you look at where the exterior speakers are on the 170M, the rear-most speaker is in a place where there's a support structure directly behind the speaker hole. The PowerBass speakers come with an adhesive foam ring-shaped pad to go behind the speaker's mounting surface. I found, for this rearmost speaker, I had to use the pad AND mount the speaker upside down so that the electric leads don't bump, where in the front speaker I only had to use gobs of silicone caulk.

I'll be taking my first drive tomorrow with teh new speakers, so if they fall out I'll update.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

4 hours on the road at (mumble-mumble) MPH over the speed limit, in cross-winds from the ocean, plus a long weekend a couple hundred feed from the Mighty Pacific, and the speakers didn't fall off and still sound good.

It's really scary how much better these sound than the previous exterior speakers, AND how much better they sound than the INTERIOR speakers.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the review, I'm pretty sure our Winnie Paseo has the same speakers. Higher on my list for upgrades though is the factory Ford speakers in the cab. They are really, really, really bad...
Old 03-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Silver Member

I too had to replace the original outside speakers not because they sounded bad but because one of them started leaking water thru the speaker cone every time it rain. Had them replaced with some marine Kenwood speakers. Don't really use them and it would had been better if they weren't even there.
Abn1SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I use them rather frequently, but I have to admit, if they weren't there I wouldn't miss them, and they are a rather significant leak-point...