Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Default great to find DIY resources

I was surprised to find all the stuff they pack into class B campers. The prices are out of our range, and we are on a fixed income so a new loan is something we want to avoid. Reading the posts on this site and a number of others on the web were inspiring though.

I asked my mechanic what sort of van would make a good platform for a camper and he recommended a Ford Econoline with a 7.3 liter powerstroke engine. He said he's currently maintaining two of them that are on their second 500,000 miles. He doesn't particularly care for Fords, but he said he can't argue with the way these things keep rolling.

We started hunting for a used van and found a retired ambulance.

So now the project begins. Thanks a lot to you folks that have gone ahead of me and posted your work on the internet. You make it seem very doable.

Regards,
Pat
bee_pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: great to find DIY resources

Keep us in on your progress and congrats on taking on the challenge. Safe travels.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum bee_pipes!

Retired ambulances may have high mileage etc., but I bet they were well maintained as part of the fleet. Suspect parts would have been replaced as needed.

Ask as many questions as you want.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to roll-your-own land and lots of luck tailoring your RV to just what you want it to be. For me, that's a one-person van that can be un-converted should the family decide to (although I keep getting told it'll just be the "family" travel van and rotated once it is theirs.

The comprehensive story of the interior on mine is shown at www.cheaprvliving.com . Click on the third link down on the right.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome mark & vern. Vern, your web site was one of the ones I read that inspired me to take this jump.

Van was delivered to the mechanic today for a once over. We're fortunate to have a mechanic we can trust, though he's a busy fellow. Had some overheating issues on the way back from Mississippi. Seems to be a leaky overflow reservoir and maybe a shot radiator cap.

Looks like the real chore is going to be chasing down the electrical system and figuring out what's been installed. Saw a suggestion to check the ambulance company that built the vehicle for specs, but the company has changed hands a few times since '91 and they don't have any specs on their web site. The existing floor, walls and such are coming out - formica and vinyl, very institutional. Should help with tracing wires. Some water and rust damage - minor.

While the van is with the mechanic we are studying up on body work, upholstery and electrical systems. Waiting on Amazon to send the books. So far we have:
Matt Joseph "Automotive Body & Rust Repair"
Tracy Martin "How to Diagnose & Repair Automotive Electrical Systems"
Don Taylor "Automotive Upholstery Handbook"

I would appreciate names of any books you have found particularly useful.

Regards,
Pat
bee_pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Alas, Pat, for me it was/is "The Book of Life." At 78, I've seen most of 'em evolve. And I worked in the aircraft industry long enough to observe how they put interiors in business-class aircraft for more ideas and solutions.

I really donb't think youi'll find anything better than searches of the Internet for the topics and forums will get you. But, don't hesitate to ask specific questions here for a lot of learned answers.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote