Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Has anyone converted a cassette toilet to black water tank?

I stumbled into the opportunity to drive a new 20' Winnebago with a layout I liked (4 seats up front). The new vans with front wheel drive are no different than driving a minivan - extremely easy compared to the 20 year Roadtrek I had been driving. I liked it except for the cassette toilet. Has anyone converted a cassette toilet to a blackwater tank? I would like to know the challenges of fitting one on and if there are any outfits that do this.

I don't want this thread to digress into defending cassette toilets. They are not for everyone. I only want to know if anyone has converted a cassette toilet to a blackwater tank on any class B RV.
Bert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Bert M, Since the black tank usually sits directly below the toilet, is there space to mount a black tank (~10gal)? I've read of conversions from black tank to cassette toilet. Perhaps a question for Winnebago. (Are you looking at a Solis?)
Old 01-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The first thing that you will need to determine is whether there is a place for a Black Water tank underneath your rig or, at least determine just what kind of waste tank is down there. If there is room for a new tank, the task becomes whether Winnibago made a tank for that model (cassette may have been an option) or if you will need to have one made or adapt one from another model. If so you can probably install and plumb the tank to accommodate a standard toilet. In the event that that is not possible, and the present waste tank is large enough, it might be possible to plumb into the present tank and use it as a combined black/gray tank. Now, I know up front that I may get a lot of pushback from others on the forum about the advisability of doing this, but it is a possibility. To do this you may need to get a macerating marine toilet.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Bert M,
Seen this from the FitRV? about adapting a cassette toilet for dumping in a standard sewer dump station.
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/cas...-americanizer/
Old 01-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Bert M, Since the black tank usually sits directly below the toilet, is there space to mount a black tank (~10gal)? I've read of conversions from black tank to cassette toilet. Perhaps a question for Winnebago. (Are you looking at a Solis?)
Yes, you did guess that I was looking at a Solis. So, I'm asking the question for a RV that I do not own, so I can't answer any questions about room underneath. I pretty much have a good idea of what would be needed. I just wanted to know if anyone has done it to learn from someone else's experience.

My 1997 Roadtrek was totaled last month and I'm looking to get another Roadtrek, probably from the 2000-2005 era. However, after driving the Solis and seeing the high price of used Roadtreks, I can start to justify getting a new Solis, but the cassette toilet is a deal stopper for boondocking (no, I don't want to carry multiple cassettes), so I was looking at options.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Although some would disagree, there really is not a real good reason to have a black tank as long as the grey tank has adequate capacity for both uses. Using a macerating toilet, maybe with a small pedestal tank under it so in batches would prechop everything so would likely work just fine. No gravity to the tank as it would pumped, so a small 1" line would be able to be used.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

We have a 2020 Travato with a black tank and have made a point to never use it. The Ram front wheel drive chassis coupled with the 59G floorplan were the driving factors for our decision, but the black tank was never a preference. Having owned a few travel trailers and fifth wheels provided the support black tanks required more maintenance than we desired. A cassette would have been ideal, but is not available on the Travato. To avoid the hassles, we routinely use WAAG bags placed right in the standard toilet fixture. This is effective for camping in all weather conditions, even after the unit is winterized, and is incredibly convenient. Gray water can be disposed of much easier/in more locations, so this approach works perfectly for us. Avoid the black tank hassles unless you truly wish to have them.
Lostwolfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:22 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwolfak View Post
We have a 2020 Travato with a black tank and have made a point to never use it. The Ram front wheel drive chassis coupled with the 59G floorplan were the driving factors for our decision, but the black tank was never a preference. Having owned a few travel trailers and fifth wheels provided the support black tanks required more maintenance than we desired. A cassette would have been ideal, but is not available on the Travato. To avoid the hassles, we routinely use WAAG bags placed right in the standard toilet fixture. This is effective for camping in all weather conditions, even after the unit is winterized, and is incredibly convenient. Gray water can be disposed of much easier/in more locations, so this approach works perfectly for us. Avoid the black tank hassles unless you truly wish to have them.
Wagg like bags are terrific, but I don't understand the back tank maintenance thing. I don't find my black tank needs much other than dumping. What maintenance?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Bert M,
Seen this from the FitRV? about adapting a cassette toilet for dumping in a standard sewer dump station.
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/cas...-americanizer/
He admitted his negativity towards cassettes, I will give him a credit for it. With his 180 degree turn now he wants to sell his invention which adds a hose to a cassette defeating the cassette benefit of no hose, no hose cleaning, no hose storage.

An invention is a solution to a problem, good luck selling a solution to a none existing problem.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:09 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

"He admitted his negativity towards cassettes, I will give him a credit for it."

U tube folks are often into 'entertainment'. It sure was, and honest....

"With his 180 degree turn now he wants to sell his invention which adds a hose to a cassette defeating the cassette benefit of no hose, no hose cleaning, no hose storage."

Maybe he is becoming a little delusional concerning cassette toilets, AND has one now! What is he going to do?

I guess it makes sense. If I had to accept a cassette toilet because of the advantages concerning the rv, maybe I'd behave about the same.

Bud

An invention is a solution to a problem, good luck selling a solution to a none existing problem.[/QUOTE]
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Great comments! Thinking about it, instead of trying to replace a cassette toilet with a black water tank, I could try mounting a holder on the back to hold one or two extra cassettes (I don't want to carry them inside). I would still have to dump the cassettes but I would have the capacity of a black water tank. It would be a little more hassle to change the cassette when needed, but it is an alternative to making a custom black tank. Capacity is the the issue for me, and 5 gallons just doesn't cut it.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:06 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert M View Post
Great comments! Thinking about it, instead of trying to replace a cassette toilet with a black water tank, I could try mounting a holder on the back to hold one or two extra cassettes (I don't want to carry them inside). I would still have to dump the cassettes but I would have the capacity of a black water tank. It would be a little more hassle to change the cassette when needed, but it is an alternative to making a custom black tank. Capacity is the the issue for me, and 5 gallons just doesn't cut it.
I have two cassettes, the second one is used rarely but it is nice to know I have a spare. Recently I decided to use my rear door ladder to carry it.

Not releasing a vent valve is a common mistake during dumping, vacuum will cause erratic and bubbly drain. I use all 3 dumping options: flush toilets (including at home), vault toilets, RV dumps and they are all OK, certainly not a most favored activity of the day. For storage I clean cassettes thoroughly, detergent and triple rinse. Lubricating rubbers seals with V black tank lubricant will pay back with good seal. I use cassette since 2013 and had no one leak since.

I have Thetford 402, this unit has an automatic vent valve on the bottom of the cassette, make sure that the manufacturer run the vent line from there. I assume all other Thetford Cassette toilets have the vent as well. The vent line is hiding in the cryptic but picturesque Thetford manuals.

A few years abo when I bought the spare cassette this place in UK was the best, it took a couple of days to get it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141030764759
Attached Images
File Type: png aaaaa.png (249.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert M View Post
Why not a RV composting toilet. You just dump the compost into a bag and throw it in any dumpster!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Everything is a compromise. While I personally want (strongly) for my van to have a black tank, I guess if I was looking at a model that ticked all the boxes but that one, I'd probably sigh heavily and get it anyway with the intention to use it as-is.

There is plenty of maintenance for class b owners to do, and further mods to make it better so you'll have plenty of things to fill your time with. But if I felt I couldn't live with a cassette toilet, then I would not get it with the intention of doing a very complicated (if not impossible) conversion to the toilet/tank system.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
He admitted his negativity towards cassettes, I will give him a credit for it. With his 180 degree turn now he wants to sell his invention which adds a hose to a cassette defeating the cassette benefit of no hose, no hose cleaning, no hose storage.

An invention is a solution to a problem, good luck selling a solution to a none existing problem.
We carry a hose for the gray water tank, so that's not the reason why I agree with you that the invention solves a non-existent problem. It's just that we've had the cassette for 4 years, and in all the months of traveling, we've never once had an issue dumping in North American campground dump stations (which is pretty much the only place we dump on the road). Unlike his driveway, dump stations tend to have a least a small area around the drain that slopes toward the drain. We normally hold the cassette drain opening right at the campground drain, or maybe even a little inside it, so spillage has never been an issue. If there's a tiny bit of spillage, we wash it down with the water hose next to every dump station. Then we add some water, shake it up, and dump that. My wife would laugh at me if I suggested instead of this simple procedure we take out the hose, screw on the adapter, attach the hose, dump the cassette, then put the dirty hose on the gray water drain, drain that, and then clean the hose again with clean water.

Still, I have to admit it's a really clever invention and some people might be a bit more squeamish (or less agile) than we are and have a problem for it to solve.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Why not a RV composting toilet. You just dump the compost into a bag and throw it in any dumpster!
Because the contents of a composting toilet is not compost
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
We carry a hose for the gray water tank, so that's not the reason why I agree with you that the invention solves a non-existent problem. It's just that we've had the cassette for 4 years, and in all the months of traveling, we've never once had an issue dumping in North American campground dump stations (which is pretty much the only place we dump on the road). Unlike his driveway, dump stations tend to have a least a small area around the drain that slopes toward the drain. We normally hold the cassette drain opening right at the campground drain, or maybe even a little inside it, so spillage has never been an issue. If there's a tiny bit of spillage, we wash it down with the water hose next to every dump station. Then we add some water, shake it up, and dump that. My wife would laugh at me if I suggested instead of this simple procedure we take out the hose, screw on the adapter, attach the hose, dump the cassette, then put the dirty hose on the gray water drain, drain that, and then clean the hose again with clean water.

Still, I have to admit it's a really clever invention and some people might be a bit more squeamish (or less agile) than we are and have a problem for it to solve.
I don’t carry 3” grey water hose, most often I just drive on waste drain concrete aiming for actual drain hole, open ¾” ball valve and drain grey tank. I have a short water hose if I can’t get close enough. At home I used sanitary drain.

You captured the cassette using process with hose with very well, I agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03313.jpg (374.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I don’t carry 3” grey water hose, most often I just drive on waste drain concrete aiming for actual drain hole, open ¾” ball valve and drain grey tank.
And just where do you find one of those?
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #19
Platinum Member

.... hose, concrete, ball valve or drain hole?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Not that easy. You have to carry your toilet through the van, dump the contents in a bag, a prepare new starter in a filthy tub because it is not compost at all as said. you basically have a human litter box. I have a cat and her litter box is easier to dispose of but I don't like it either.

I'd rather have a closed at both ends 1-1/2" hose macerating system at a dump station with a large black tank. My black tank is 18 gallons and we dump on an historic average of every 13 days and follow up flush dump with 26 gallon tank of mostly soapy grey water leaving the hose whistle clean. Since we have a 40 gallon fresh tank we dump and replenish or top off water usually when convenient. We don't always camp where there are facilities but usually do sometime in that 13 average stretch. So, it takes maybe 15 minutes every two weeks. It can be done gloveless with hand washing or donning latex disposable gloves.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote