Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 01:42 AM   #1

Exclamation Help! Sliding window won't close. Should I fill the gap?

I have a 1983 Dodge Xplorer 228, and one of the back sliding windows will not shut all the way. Its spring so I'm in an extra hurry to solve this problem before the torrential downpours. I've removed the felt track out and cleaned it all up and replaced it but to no avail. There is still an air gap between the end of the window and the track. I foolishly then tried to close this gap by removing some of the felt track and pressing in some polybutylene Ribbon Sealer in hopes that the window would press into it and I could still open and close the window. But its way too sticky and stretchy so it just sticks to the glass like gum and stretches when I open it. So now its back to square one.
Is there anything I can put in the window frame that the glass can push into to make a good seal.. (but still be able to open and close)?
I'm not very good with this kind of thing so help me out here guys. The more specific the better. Thanks in advance!
daboognish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Perhaps some clear vinyl tubing from the local hardware store. You can get that stuff in fairly small diameters if I remember correctly, you could put a bit of that inside the window frame.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 AM   #3

Yes that could work. Although I'm afraid it won't push into it enough to create a good enough seal. I just got an idea though. I wonder if there are any small ropes of foam like those pool toys that I could fit in there and slit it down the center so the window slides into it partially. Hmmmm
Old 04-30-2016, 03:34 AM   #4

I wonder if I could just fill the gap with weatherstripping tape.

Tags
fix, gasket, leak, seal, window