Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 02:20 AM   #1

Default Hitting the ROAD. But first I need some help on a few projects!

Hello Class B'ers!!

My girlfriend and I are new to the title but we are officially Class B'ers after buying an 02' Dodge Phoenix that we plan on living out of for the next year or longer! We plan on touring the Western States come spring and then down to the Baja for next winter. I plan on keeping a build thread on the forum so everyone can see the process of the remodel and the adventure after!

We've completely tore out the interior except the for the essentials (water, sewage, gas,) as we are going to remodel it to our style and liking instead of how a robot from Detroit layed it out.

I have a few projects that are giving me trouble and was hoping for some helping answers from the community. I'm going to ask them all on this post and see how it goes, but maybe post them separately if there isn't a great response.

1) I know a lot of older vans have swiveling chairs in the front and captain chairs. Unfortunately our van does not, I think because it became illegal to have them up front at some point, so I'm trying to decide if it's better to order some converters offline or try to buy the parts off an old van and install them onto our chairs. What does the community think??

2) We will be camping remotely and never by an RV park so the A/C unit is no use to us. I would like to install a fan there instead that will run off of the 12v system. Has anyone made that swap before or just taken the A/C unit off?

3) The biggest issue with living full time in a Class B is obviously space. We enjoy a lot of outdoor activities so need some extra space for our gear. I would like to have a rack on top for a cargo box and possibly a little observation platform. I worry about the fiberglass topper though. What is the process of attaching racks/ accessories to fiberglass? Does it involve special bolts, adhesive or something else?

Thanks for all of your help! Can't wait to post about the build over the next few months even though it's 0 Degrees outside right now and tough to stay motivated!! Pics coming soon!
Misadventure Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I imagine your Phoenix looks something like the attached photo. Trying to add a cargo box to that top is a challenge. Why not just use a hitch mounted box on the back; easier to install and access for use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6245432_2.jpg (35.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

consider a hitch mount added to the front as well...spare tire, bikes etc.

many vans have a "fantastic fan" to exhaust air ( some will reverse and draw air in)

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

Can't help with the technical questions asked so far, but good luck, and I'll try to watch the thread.
I can help a bit with the motivation issue. Just keep thinking about past trips, look at photos of destinations and GIS mapping of routes, and read the forums. Deep winter is a great time to plan, based on past fun, or looking at new possibilities.
96coachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have seen the hitch mount cargo boxes and was hoping to save that for a motorcycle mount. It might be my only option though. Just to much fun stuff to try and find spots for! I do like the front mount idea and will be looking into that further. Let you know what I figure out!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:29 AM   #6

That is the exact van Boxster! Why do you say it'd be tough to attach something to the roof?
Old 01-07-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misadventure Theory View Post
That is the exact van Boxster! Why do you say it'd be tough to attach something to the roof?
You can probably attach something, but I would think it will be more difficult to reach to use the space. You said you want to haul a motorcycle on the rear hitch; how big of a motorcycle? You can easily exceed the weight rating of the rear hitch with a motorcycle unless it is very light. Pulling a small trailer is always an option for a motorcycle too heavy for the hitch mount. Just some thoughts....
Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #8

All good points Boxster. The motorcycle would be light, something in the dirt bike family just to get around on when the van is not in use. We have debated the small trailer, the inconvenience of traveling with a tail is the only thing holding us back.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Misadventure, I'll be watching the answers roll in as I've just bought a 2000 B on a 3500 Dodge. While I'll not be a fulltimer, have some of the same issues, including how to convert seats to rotate((I've not found such as thing as a "converter", have you?), as well as general storage space. Going to consider a front mount carrier, as I seem to have lots of unused vehicle weight carrying capacity bot front and rear. I'm going the route of a small foldable motorcycle trailer called Stinger to carry my dual purpose type kawi KLR650.
Also considering the Fantastic ceiling vent fan ( I have no AC and don't want it) which is 12 volt, multispeed and reversible flow for at least some models.
Have you posted pics of the "gutted" van, and what you are going to change to. I'm also looking for a side awning, or manual C channel and tarp, as my unit doesn't have one.
Best of luck in your rework and future travels.
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
Platinum Member

1) google "van captains chair swivel seat base"... used would be fine if you can locate them...

2) I have read the a/c AND standard van roof top vents use the same 14" hole in the roof... (but have never removed an a/c unit myself)

3) It is possible to engineer brackets and supports for a fiberglass roof, but many experienced people will confess that rooftop storage on a van is really inconvenient, and seldom used.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I don't know about all A/C units, but my Penguin II cutout is 14-1/4 x 14-1/4.
I've towed a 5x8 utility trailer behind a 20' Chevy chassis RV and a 24' Sprinter - you get used to backing up, I could carry our 2 cycles and extra stuff on the trailer. A stinger should be easy to tow, the reduction in cargo capacity (you use the tongue weight) shouldn't be much.
The choice with the FanTastic fans is often between the model that senses rain and closes vs. a manual open/close model and an UltraBreeze vent cover. I have a rain sensor unit, but I'd like to have the vent cover so I could keep the fan running on rainy days. On that score, the MaxxFan Deluxe is tempting as it's a fan/cover in one unit and it doesn't add a lot of height when it's closed.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #12

Nice Ridefun! Glad to hear I'm not the only one and we can kinda lean on each other for ideas. I'm hoping to get pics uploaded by the weekend. I have found some adapters online by doing what Scott said about Google. Just not sure if they'd work but I guess returning them is always an option. I found a guy in town that has old conversion vans and he said he has some swivel seats in storage so I'm hoping to acquire those soon and see if I can make them match up!
Thanks for the info Scott, I was checking out the Maxx Air fans and read they fit standard 14" RV cutouts so I'm guessing that is what my van has. Hoping to get the AC off this weekend to check it out if the weather cooperates.
I have watched a couple videos of attaching accessories to fiberglass and it's not as scary as I imagined. The back hitch will be for a moto rack and a front mount for mountain bikes. Rooftop storage is not convenient but with the amount of outdoor gear (SUP, Climbing ropes, bike gear, etc.) it's our only option other than a trailer which is very inconvenient.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:19 AM   #13

Nice to hear ptourin! I'm thinking that must be the standard dimensions of AC cutouts. I checked out some other forums on the fans and a lot of people like the Maxx Air because it can stay running if it's raining and you can drive with it open.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yes, that's the advantage. It's the same thing if you install a FanTastic fan that manually opens and you put the cover over it - you can drive with it open and you can leave it open in the rain - you only get rain in the RV if there's heavy rain with wind from the back of the RV so that it blows in the cover exit - that's true no matter which you choose. Not very likely, but if you're away from the RV for a long time, you can install the FanTastic with the rain sensor and auto-close, and install the cover. I don't think the MaxxFan Deluxe will auto-close, but it's a nice unit that doesn't stand 10-1/2" high when closed - that's the disadvantage of the FanTastic with the cover - raises your height.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I've had both the Fantastic Fan and MaxxAir Fan. Generally you are at the mercy of what your converter installs but the MaxxAir fan is vastly superior in 10 speed settings and quietness, IMO. That's what I would put in if it were my choice on a DIY.

The rain sensor of a Fantastic fan can be erratic. It will close with heavy dew or fog just when you don't want it to and it might not close at all just when you want it to. I experienced both. The MaxxAir fan can operate in light rain with its built in hood.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Not only is the built-in hood a great feature, but that it is low profile when closed is even better. Much better arrangement than installing an after market cover.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #17

Default Deconstruction Pics

Thanks for all the input guys! It seems like the fan shouldn't be an issue to switch out with the A/C. Im gonna go with the Maxx Air, just trying to decide model.

After learning that you can drill out fiberglass, I think a roof rack is the way to go for us, with a ladder on the back to reach it. I've been checking out a company called AluRack. They seem to have nice full length racks that are relatively light and good for attachments like cargo box, observation deck or solar panels. Has anyone gone with an Alurack? Would love to hear some details on whether or not they have attachments that can be attached directly to the roof. The models I've seen all attach to stock attachment points which our van does not have.

Here are some pictures of the van when we bought it, the previous owner obviously had an unhealthy obsession with purple. Plus some pictures of the deconstruction process.
It's been fun so far and we can't wait to start adding our style but for now the weather in CO is not cooperating. Rome wasn't built in a day though right?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0123.jpg (147.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0129.jpg (162.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0114.jpg (185.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.jpg (173.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0139.jpg (163.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #18

Default A Couple More Pics

Taken a few weeks before Christmas before all the snow moved in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0010.jpg (191.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (184.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0093.jpg (145.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0058.jpg (249.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0107.jpg (104.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Looks as if it could have been a Minnesota Vikings fan tailgater.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #20

All that purple is scary. I can see why you guys are customizing it to suit yourselves. Great project. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Kate C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fiberglass, rack, roof, swivel