Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How Many BTU for Window AC Unit Replacement of CoolCat?

As my CoolCat AC/Heatpump unit gets flakier I am planning for an AC-only replacement with a window type AC unit. I am wondering if 5000 BTU is enough or do I need to go to 6000 or even 8000 BTU. I have a Roadtrek 210P. Don't want to go too big as that will make it cold but also humid inside. I do camp in hot weather (100-deg) but don't need to make it ice-box cold inside; just get to 78-80-deg is fine in those conditions.

Just wondering what other's experiences have been.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We had a 10,000 in our 2000 200. At 105 in dry heat in partial/mostly sun it was all it could do to hold 80.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:55 AM   #3
Gold Member

I replaced my CoolCat with an 8000 btu AC only unit a few years ago. It was the the most cooling I could find at the time that would fit in the space. The CoolCat is rated 11350 btu. 2008 Roadtrek 210.

I have seen 10,000 btu units recently that would fit, which would be my choice if doing the job today, and use its thermostat to keep the room temperature constant.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I use a Honda EU2200 generator for power. Testing on last RV I did not even bother with 5 or 6000 btu, too small! For my Toyota RV the smallest AC I could get buy with was 8000 btu and was just barely adequate on the hottest of days sitting in full sun. Going more than 8000 btu would require adding a Micro air easy start. I did add a hard start capacitor to the 8k AC and was able to run the Honda in ECO mode! The LG 8k is the only one I know of that will fit in the kool kat space or the LG 9500, there may be others that I do not know of.

On my new to me roadtrek I am one of the guinea pigs and installed a LG 9500 dual inverter AC. Very quiet and easily runs on the Honda! Again just barely adequate on the hottest of days sitting in full sun. It is a more challenging install and requires cutting cabinet doors in my 02 Roadtrek 200.

The good thing about the smaller AC is they run full blast on the hottest of days and here in the humid south they keep the humidity down so it feels cooler.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
I replaced my CoolCat with an 8000 btu AC only unit a few years ago. It was the the most cooling I could find at the time that would fit in the space. The CoolCat is rated 11350 btu. 2008 Roadtrek 210.

I have seen 10,000 btu units recently that would fit, which would be my choice if doing the job today, and use its thermostat to keep the room temperature constant.
How low in temperature can your 8000 BTU AC maintain on a hot day?
Old 04-20-2023, 03:05 AM   #6
Gold Member

Great question, but alas, no definitive answer.

I have two thermometers - one on either side of the bathroom door (right and left facing the door). They can vary by 10 degrees with the ac running, where the one closer to the ac is always cooler.

I will offer a guess that when in the sun, the ac will drop the indoor temp. 10 degrees lower than the outdoor temp. When in the shade, probably 15 or 20.

The typical situation is returning to the heat soaked vehicle later in the day. This is when the 8k btu ac shows its limitation in the amount of time it takes for cool down. Ten would be better, twelve would be great.

Still an improvement over the noisy and sporadic Cool Cat.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I use a Honda EU2200 generator for power. Testing on last RV I did not even bother with 5 or 6000 btu, too small! For my Toyota RV the smallest AC I could get buy with was 8000 btu and was just barely adequate on the hottest of days sitting in full sun. Going more than 8000 btu would require adding a Micro air easy start. I did add a hard start capacitor to the 8k AC and was able to run the Honda in ECO mode! The LG 8k is the only one I know of that will fit in the kool kat space or the LG 9500, there may be others that I do not know of.

On my new to me roadtrek I am one of the guinea pigs and installed a LG 9500 dual inverter AC. Very quiet and easily runs on the Honda! Again just barely adequate on the hottest of days sitting in full sun. It is a more challenging install and requires cutting cabinet doors in my 02 Roadtrek 200.

The good thing about the smaller AC is they run full blast on the hottest of days and here in the humid south they keep the humidity down so it feels cooler.
Can you show some pictures and provide additional info on the LG 9500 install.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
Great question, but alas, no definitive answer.

I have two thermometers - one on either side of the bathroom door (right and left facing the door). They can vary by 10 degrees with the ac running, where the one closer to the ac is always cooler.

I will offer a guess that when in the sun, the ac will drop the indoor temp. 10 degrees lower than the outdoor temp. When in the shade, probably 15 or 20.

The typical situation is returning to the heat soaked vehicle later in the day. This is when the 8k btu ac shows its limitation in the amount of time it takes for cool down. Ten would be better, twelve would be great.

Still an improvement over the noisy and sporadic Cool Cat.
Great summary. Sounds like bigger is definitely better, though that would further tax the battery/generator system when not hooked up to shore power.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
As my CoolCat AC/Heatpump unit gets flakier I am planning for an AC-only replacement with a window type AC unit. I am wondering if 5000 BTU is enough or do I need to go to 6000 or even 8000 BTU. I have a Roadtrek 210P. Don't want to go too big as that will make it cold but also humid inside. I do camp in hot weather (100-deg) but don't need to make it ice-box cold inside; just get to 78-80-deg is fine in those conditions.

Just wondering what other's experiences have been.
First let me say: Most vans are very poorly insulated. The heat coming in thru the windows and roof is difficult/impossible to control/reduce. I would suspect event the best, most efficient AC will only reduce temp by 20 to 25 degrees. If possible, I would avoid parking/camping in the sun. I always look for shade. If no choice, than purchase the highest BTU AC you can/plan on running whether you are on shore power, generator or battery.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:17 PM   #10
Site Team

I have always been of the "smaller is better" persuasion, based on the belief that dehumidification is much more important than cooling, and if the A/C isn't running, it isn't dehumidifying. Now, it is true that (a) I have only rarely camped in oppressively-hot weather, and (b) I only have experience with 11K units.

Our new van will have a DC-powered variable capacity unit with the ability to throttle up and down to a fairly wide range of cooling, so I will have better data eventually.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
First let me say: Most vans are very poorly insulated. The heat coming in thru the windows and roof is difficult/impossible to control/reduce. I would suspect event the best, most efficient AC will only reduce temp by 20 to 25 degrees. If possible, I would avoid parking/camping in the sun. I always look for shade. If no choice, than purchase the highest BTU AC you can/plan on running whether you are on shore power, generator or battery.
Sorry, forgot to add. Never, ever purchase a dark color van. Best colors for hot weather are white and silver. Coachmen Beyond 2 choices are white or silver Ingot. Wonder why?
Old 04-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #12
Platinum Member

May want to have a look:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...out-11478.html

12000BTU unit has worked perfectly and is able to keep us as cold as we like in 100d temps.The onboard Onan 2800 runs the ac, fridge and lights without trouble.

I also added a separate thermostat for the heater.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:30 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Can you show some pictures and provide additional info on the LG 9500 install.
There was little difference putting the LG 9500 in my 02 chevy 200 Popular than what is posted online. The cabinet doors in front of the AC had to be cut down and the newer LG units use a slinger wheel to sling condensate on coil to help cool. This leave a couple quarts of water in the AC pan to splash out when you move, this applies to the 8k or 9500.

I drilled 2 holes in case directly under evaporator coil over pan, I used a stop on my drill bit to not drill into coil!

Tried to post a picture, this site is a pain for pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483...h/?q=lg%209500
Old 05-14-2023, 11:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

You mentioned (here, or on FB) that the install required an upper door modification. Any chance you have a picture? I have a 170, and suspect if I swap out the CoolCat for an LG , may have to as well. Either here, FB or PM and I'll send email.

Thanks, and,

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:18 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
You mentioned (here, or on FB) that the install required an upper door modification. Any chance you have a picture? I have a 170, and suspect if I swap out the CoolCat for an LG , may have to as well. Either here, FB or PM and I'll send email.

Thanks, and,

Cheers - Jim
If you follow the link in the above post there are several pictures on FB
Old 05-15-2023, 09:47 AM   #16
Platinum Member

This is the one I saw on FB earlier. It is a "Keystone" unit, installed by Tim Mcleary. Unclear how much he had to "shave" (if any) from the doors.

Looks like a pretty close - but maybe a usable fit.

You have some nice removal pics - thanks. But I haven't found the door mods - yet. I did find another individual's installation - not a RT? Still digging.

OK a lot more digging...

Did you mod both doors - or just Passenger's side?

Thanks, Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:34 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
This is the one I saw on FB earlier. It is a "Keystone" unit, installed by Tim Mcleary. Unclear how much he had to "shave" (if any) from the doors.

Looks like a pretty close - but maybe a usable fit.

You have some nice removal pics - thanks. But I haven't found the door mods - yet. I did find another individual's installation - not a RT? Still digging.

OK a lot more digging...

Did you mod both doors - or just Passenger's side?

Thanks, Jim
Sorry, when I click on it I see the pics, maybe because it is my post? Here is another post to try. Send me your name on FB and I will send you the links for the other posts. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483...6506199543472/
Old 05-23-2023, 08:38 PM   #18
Platinum Member

12,000 BTU replacement, has worked perfectly since installation, no issues at all with humidity, etc. Keeps the interior as cold as we want in direct hot summer sun.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post120827
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote