Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2022, 12:53 AM   #1

Default how to safely bring along grand kids

my wife and I are currently shopping for a used class B, likely some version of the Travato. For shorter weekend camping trips we would like to include our two grand-kids ages 6 and 4. they both require car seats and we would like to buckle them in, in some fashion. What modifications or solutions are out there? Any ideas?

Are there brands and models of class B that are better suited for what we need to do?

thanks!
Dan
Dan Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:59 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Isn't buckling them in a requirement (rather than a "like") where you live?

There are a number of Sprinter models that have sofas at the rear with well anchored seat belts. Do not trust any side siding arrangements to be safe or ones where the seat is a plywood box rather than a proper automotive metal framed seat solidly anchored.

Not many true Bs have sleeping for 4. Two little ones may not be too particular.
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I’m not sure how the smallish double seat behind the driver in the Travato is made and mounted to the chassis, but it does have 3-point belts and head restraints. You might want to look at the Solis as well, with the same seating plus an available pop-up loft for extra sleeping space.

I agree that very few models have forward-facing, DOT certified, passenger seating with 3-point belts and head restraints. Some Sprinter models have 4 captain’s chairs forward, but they’re very large and very expensive.

Rear sofas often lack head restraints, and there’s no crumple space in the event of a rear collision. It could be inconvenient to have very small children so far from the front occupants. Our teens rode back there, and our travel trailer provided a crumple zone, but the lack of head restraints bothered me.

Some small shops do modular semi-custom conversions of passenger vans (Transit or Sprinter) with the ability to retain some of the factory seating if desired. They tend to be more basic and lack features of fully integrated motorhome conversions.

I honestly don’t know of a “perfect” solution for safe rear passenger seating for kids. All entail compromises on some level.

Since it’s just short weekend trips, perhaps a second small vehicle following?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Novak View Post
my wife and I are currently shopping for a used class B, likely some version of the Travato. For shorter weekend camping trips we would like to include our two grand-kids ages 6 and 4. they both require car seats and we would like to buckle them in, in some fashion.
Shopping for a used Travato 59G (the model with forward facing passenger seats needed for child safety) you will need to carefully check the model year. The earliest versions (2014, 2015, ...?) had three point seat belts. Those were later dropped to accommodate the Truma Combi furnace. However the most recent models now again have individual rear passenger seats with full 3 point belts.

If you buy a new 2022 or later Travato 59G or GL you will get full passenger safety belts. For those intermediate model years check the Travato Facebook user group which has a full resource list including feature changes for every 6 month (mid model year) change.

As noted in a prior post all Winnebago Solis 59P/PX models also have full 3 point safety belts for rear passengers.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
child seats