Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Insulation, observation, results

Camped 3 days at an event in a very hot environment on asphalt, full sun. The interior insulation worked well, picked up heat anywhere the metal body was exposed. We MFG magnetic panels to cover the back doors and windows with thin 3m Thinsulate covered with upholstery material. This worked extremely well as it covered the metal and stopped any more heat coming through the windows. Worried my AC 13500BTU Mach8, was oversized for a sub 20' van. By directing all the air forward on high cool, the AC didn't cycle as the cold air traveled all the way to the front of the van at ceiling level, circulated back near the floor picking up heat. This only worked on the high setting.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Also, my lithium batteries got up to 98F when I left the unit closed up without ventilation for most of the day, as a test. The inverter/battery box cooling fans and AC did bring the temp down surprisingly fast. I'm glad I installed the batteries inside as if the were outside above hot asphalt, they would have baked.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

How long can you use your A/C on Lithium?

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

6 hrs continuous run minimum, longer if the sun is out providing solar. It took almost an hour to cool everything down in the van after I let it bake in the sun, after that it would cycle on and off in 20min cycles. I just finished insulating the flat areas under the van with 1/2" closed cell foam rubber. It may help when siting on hot asphalt, it did quiet the generator some more sitting in my driveway.
I just finished hooking up the Sterling battery to battery charger, now I can run the van
AC, and roof AC with little battery loss since the charger is 120amp unit. The van came with a 220amp alternator.