Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Inverter for laptop, or..

I have a 225w inverter that I use(d) to power my laptop - but I had it hard-wired to the battery in my Roadtrek (for use with my laptop there).

That left me without a power source for my truck (for use with my laptop there).

Been looking but couldn't find anything similar to the 225 so I jumped on-line and found an outfit called "the inverter store (.com)".

They have a little, slim-line 150w inverter that they sell for $20 (+$6 ups shipping). Ordered it and it arrived today. Works great for powering my laptop and I recommend it to anyone.....bill
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Those small inverters are nice to have. I have a 400 watt one and a 175 watt one. I mostly use the 400. It can power my fridge but the battery won't last too long. It will draw over 20amps off the battery when the fridge is running.

One thing people should check is how much power their computer/laptop or any electronics draw. You wouldn't want to over load the inverter. It's a real easy conversion. Power (watts) divided by voltage equals current (amps). That 150 watt inverter will put out about 1.25amps at 120VAC at full load and draw about 12.5amps from the battery
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I did the same thing. A local store has a 300w that I picked up cheap. I can't remember how cheap but if it wasn't I would not have gotten it. I figured 300w could power the laptop and something else like maybe a VCR or DVD.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Target sells 100w, 200w and 400w inverters in their stores in the automotive department. I was somewhat surprised. I bought the $19.95 100w for charging camera batteries, iPod, etc. and maybe my Mac laptop since it says 85w when without an electrical hookup. I haven't tried that yet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Silver Member

The 100 watt will easily power a laptop..I have one that I use for that purpose. I don't like the one I have much though as it has a fan in it and is rather noisy. I had used another brand before I bought this one that was silent, I liked it much better. The brand I bought is Black & Decker... but I never noticed what brand the borrowed one is.
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Why not use a DC power cord for he laptop and eliminate the other power drain that an Inverter prsents? I know the IBMs I used to have and the Sony Vaios I now have both offer DC to DC power cords. Mostly, though, I just use the internal battery and recharge overnight when AC is available.

One thing to watch about Inverters, especially cheap ones, is the kind of AC it presents. It needs to be "clean" and at least modified sine wave. Many cheap ones present some pretty rough looking AC. Computer printers are especially offended by digital AC wave forms. Death can result.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
Why not use a DC power cord for he laptop and eliminate the other power drain that an Inverter prsents?
Answer: Cost
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
g1g
Platinum Member

I wish mine was 12V but it is 18V input. I guess that is so they getcha to buy their adapter power.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote