Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Isotherm fridge vent question

The fridge I'm installing has slots on the mounting flange which seem to be for ventilation. Install guide instructs a gap on the bottom of about 11/2" for ventilation. I was planning on adding more insulation on the sides. Anyone know what the slots are for?
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mc.../Mojovan/story
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I can't help with the question - but nice looking fridge!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We have a 3.0 Isotherm that we put in ourselves. It was a pain for us because the Roadtrek is outside venting left over from the 3way.

From the pix I couldn't really see how the ventilation works as the compressor didn't show, but if is like ours, and the other Isotherms I have seen, it will vent in a boat style. They basically want to take air in low, usually under the frig, transport it to the rear to the compressor, fan and coils, transport it back to the front over the top of the frig, and out back into the room.

If you vent inside like that, it should not be very hard, but you will need to look at how the frig is made, which way the fan blows, etc, to get the right airpath. If it gets a chance to loop out and back into the compressor, it flat won't cool, as we found out. It can get even tougher if you add any insulation to the frig, as we did with foil/urethane board, as it can also get in the way, especially with a conventional boat style venting.

Be aware that it will heat up the interior a little bit, by the amount of power it is using. In our case that would be about 350+ watt hours per day, but we don't get that with the outside vent.

Once we got it right, it is a very nice frig.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote