Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Keeping Rain Our of Side Fridge Vents

So can it be done? Should I worry?
I'm fixing to install a small Norcold fridge in my van. I've got the upper and lower side vents to install. They are the small, light metal jobs (no roof vent). It seems like they wouldn't do much good keeping out a hard driving rain, not to mention the spray when driving down the road. I'd hate to trash the important part of the fridge not to mention the electronics.
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That's the way the pro's do it. It doesn't seem to load up enough to bother the working stuff, but I agree it seems like un-good engineering. Another thing, the vents invite wasps and others attracted to nooks and crannies and propane's smell to build in there. I always inserted some metal screen material behind the vent, cutting it to full size and letting friction hold it in place.

Better in a Class B style van would be the Engle type chest refrigerator that needs no outside venting and, in practice for me, doesn't add much in the way of extra heat inside.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Yeah I figured if that is what the manufacturers recommend and that is what is installed in RVs then it would work. It does seem like 'un-good engineering' but who am I to argue? In all my research of RV products and accessories I haven't seen any side fridge vent rain bonnets or umbrellas so I didn't figure it was a problem. Because if there is a buck to be made someone will sell some sort of accessory that you just can't live without...but really don't need. Still thought I would ask the some folks with some RV experience.

Thanks for the screen tip, that was already on my list for shure! I hate flying insects and creepy crawly things.
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote